Two general questions

Since this is a new forum I'm looking for everyone's feedback so that we can customize the site accordingly. Post your suggestions and ideas here!
brothers

Two general questions

Post by brothers »

First, I see that some members "statistics" show "most active forum" and "most active topic", and others don't.
Second, how does one navigate from the Board Index to the Home page?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Two general questions

Post by drmoss_ca »

Later today that might be possible, at present this forum is sitting alongside the old one, and the old one has links to the Gallery, Homepage etc. The plan is to delete the old database and all it's associated software, and the new forum will, I believe, become shavemyface.com (rather than forum.shavemyface.com) - we'll see how that bit works out. Then over the next while, Vince has to link it to other pages in the site. He'll probably want to rewrite them so that they look like the forum does. The Gallery is a special case. It's ancient software and doesn't seem to work well for many members. It will probably be locked and kept as an archive (ie photos stored there will still appear in posts) but new photos will have to be linked in from somewhere else. I'm not sure yet whether this will be an updated gallery on our server, or whether we use an outside photo site (Flickr, Photobucket). There is also the option of using the Upload Attachment tab below the posting composition window. This stores the photo in the forum database itself and lets you place it in the post after uploading (hint: after it uploads the window will reload showing the image name beneath. Place your cursor where in the post the image is to sit and click on the button that says something like Place Inline. There is a maximum pixel size, otherwise the photo will have scroll bars and you can only see a part of it. For example, this photo is 2368 pixels wide:
Screen Shot 2013-06-01 at 7.29.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-06-01 at 7.29.06 AM.png (283.09 KiB) Viewed 10400 times
and here it has been reduced to 900:
Screen Shot 2013-06-01 at 7.29.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-06-01 at 7.29.06 AM.png (173.63 KiB) Viewed 10400 times
800 seems about right:
Screen Shot 2013-06-01 at 7.29.06 AM3.png
Screen Shot 2013-06-01 at 7.29.06 AM3.png (159.95 KiB) Viewed 10400 times
Now about the statistics. The answer is slightly less detailed. I have no idea!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Two general questions

Post by drmoss_ca »

And now I've discovered something. Those inline images are thumbnails and can be clicked on to expand them. That is why they are size-limited. Currently there is no limit on the size of the image they will expand to, but be cautious! Server space is not infinite and currently the whole board's allocation for inline images is 50MiB. That will go in a flash!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace