Threads in each section that ask for daily posting

Since this is a new forum I'm looking for everyone's feedback so that we can customize the site accordingly. Post your suggestions and ideas here!
ShadowsDad

Threads in each section that ask for daily posting

Post by ShadowsDad »

In the past there was a SOTD section and one either took part or didn't. It was assumed that that section would almost continually show a post that wasn't read because folks posted their SOTD there. But more importantly, the other sections only showed activity when something of potential value was posted in them. Personally, whether or not I took part in the SOTD section, I KNEW that there might be something of value in the other sections when they were highlighted to show posts that I hadn't seen.

Today we have the SOTD gear threads in every section where folks can redundantly post about their soap, then post about their blade, their brush, everything that's used for their shave. That makes the highlighting of a section, when there is something that might be of value in it, completely without value. In the past I would scan to see if there was anything that had been posted (of value) that I needed to read. I could do that because the section would be highlighted for me. Now EVERY section is highlighted every time I open the forum. The result? I don't have time to open up each and every section just to find that the SOTD has been spread over the entire forum, so I basically open nothing to look inside.

I can't be the only person who does this, or maybe I am. Anyway, having perpetual SOTD threads spread throughout the forum makes showing me what sections have posts that I haven't read of no value. It's like having the "check engine" idiot light perpetually lit in the auto'. Eventually one just ignores it completely. That's where I am with the highlighted sections telling me that there's something contained within that I haven't seen. I know what's there... it's the blade of the day, soap of the day, brush of the day. So I open nothing.

There is a place for that and it's called the SOTD section.

I find the forum much harder to use effectively, and basically I don't take part anymore. Am I the only person who doesn't have the time to manually sort through the various sections to find out what highlit section actually contains something requiring action or of interest? Not just the latest SOTD that is redundantly listed all over the forum?

Two exceptions to this, unless I'm looking for an item to purchase... "general" and the shave university don't have thread that are perpetually added to making those the only 2 sections that I come here to check. The idiot lights on those sections still have value. I'm not suggesting that a daily "check in" is added to those sections to make them of no value as well.

Anyway, I've been putting off writing this for quite some time but I just couldn't put it off any longer. I find myself not taking part and that's not why I joined here.

Thanks for reading this anyway.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
CMur12

Re: Threads in each section that ask for daily posting

Post by CMur12 »

Brian, I feel exactly the same way you do. I click on a highlighted forum and feel "cheated" to discover that it's only the Razor of the Day or equivalent. Unfortunately for you and me, others seem to enjoy these threads, so they endure.

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Agreed, What to do?

Later: I locked the soap and cream thread and re-directed it to the general SOTD forum, and placed a message in the safety razor forum. I don't see any threads in Brushes that is a SOTD type of thing. Tell me if you want more.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Even though I started the Cream OTD thread, and have liberally contributed to them all, I understand the point Brian, and well taken.
Last edited by brothers on Thu May 14, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Gary, I have no problem with joke of the day because it's not duplicated elsewhere, and frankly it's optional since it's not shaving. But SOTD was being duplicated throughout all of the gear sections.

I probably didn't make myself clear enough. Sorry.

Heck, I just had to say something, but I'm not the only person on the forum. Others are involved. Is there some sort of middle ground that I don't see? My mind is open.

I also need to state that I understand that the intent was to get folks more involved by posting more. It's just that it had unintended and unforeseen consequences over the long term for 2 of us, as I found out after my post about it.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

May I suggest a possible solution that came to me via PM?

It was suggested that there are folks who want to post in those threads. The problem that I brought to light was that by having the threads in amongst the other individual forums that it made the entire forum difficult to use. Would it work to have the Blade of the day, soap of the day, etc. under the SOTD section? That way those who want to post in them can, and since the SOTD section always shows a new post anyway, everyone has what they want. Does that make sense?

Thanks to the person who kicked the idea over to me. That's why I suggested the involvement of other folks, though I did think it would be more public, rather than telling me in a PM.
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks Brian.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

When these ....otd posts started showing up, Gordon put forth a 'complaint' about them, but it went unheeded. I imagine most agree but are too polite to say anything about it. Personally Im ambivalent :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Now I'm trying to think of another thread that will generate over 4000 replies, but not of such a nature to create negative reactions from some. Just give me some time. :lol:
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gary's point is telling, those categories are popular and other than the few dissenting voices in this thread I haven't heard any complaints. We have long standing members who rarely posted here in recent years yet have returned to post in these "use of the day" threads. Certainly we cannot say their posts are of no value simply because they are not more informative.

If these threads are cumbersome in their present form we can lop them all into one category that can be contributed to or ignored by anyone. Those who want to read more substantive comments then by all means should start some new threads.
Regards,
Squire
Raze R. Blade

Post by Raze R. Blade »

Squire wrote:We have long standing members who rarely posted here in recent years yet have returned to post in these "use of the day" threads. Certainly we cannot say their posts are of no value simply because they are not more informative.
I agree with you completely in that regard. Forums where most of the activity is in the SOTD threads are in danger fading into the sunset. At least that has been my observation in the case of some other wetshaving forums. It would be a shame if that happened here, so encouraging OTD participation in a way that would foster posts in other areas would be a good idea. Whatever would maintain or increase traffic to Shave My Face would be the best choice IMHO.
ShadowsDad wrote:It was suggested that there are folks who want to post in those threads. The problem that I brought to light was that by having the threads in amongst the other individual forums that it made the entire forum difficult to use. Would it work to have the Blade of the day, soap of the day, etc. under the SOTD section? That way those who want to post in them can, and since the SOTD section always shows a new post anyway, everyone has what they want. Does that make sense?
Killing two birds with one stone always makes sense. At the very least, it would make the forum more organized and would, in turn, encourage people to participate.

I don't post here very much, so my observations and opinion might be irrelevant. What is relevant is that Shave My Face is one of the most important progenitors of the current wetshaving revival. Virtually all of the wetshaving forums can trace their ancestry to this place, either directly or indirectly. Its ongoing success, in whatever form it may take, is therefore important.

Just my two cents, for whatever it's worth.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sometimes two cents is worth a great deal more than face value.
Regards,
Squire