Home Page and Gallery

Since this is a new forum I'm looking for everyone's feedback so that we can customize the site accordingly. Post your suggestions and ideas here!
brothers

Home Page and Gallery

Post by brothers »

Definitely not complaining just inquiring. :) Did they become obsolete? For the record, I did like the gallery but I fully understand there would be several practical reasons for removing it altogether.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BullGoose
Vendor

Re: Home Page and Gallery

Post by BullGoose »

I knew something was different but could not put my finger on it.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

No one has been able to post an image to their gallery since the previous forum update. That particular add-on would no longer work and could not be made to work. I daresay Vince could find and plug in an alternative, but it would be a few days work to get it all working smoothly, and then it would also require updates and maintenance to keep it going. Given how easy it is to find a spot to host an image somewhere on the net and link it into a post I don't find it unreasonable that he prefers to leave that to us.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

I'll look into options this weekend and will let you all know my assessment soon.

Just curious...is there value in preserving the old gallery or can it be nuked? I only ask because it would be much easier to start fresh with a newer solution. If folks desire to keep the old gallery AND maintain the link between the older user names and current, then the level of effort increases significantly.
:::Vince:::
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I think I nuked my photos in the gallery when it began to malfunction. If the images there are still showing up in old posts you could make a case for keeping them, but if they aren't displaying then I'd say trash the lot.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm sticking with the notion that it's probably obsolete and there are a number of practical reasons for abandoning it altogether. Most of us use external photo storage and posting options. In the early days I used the Gallery as a tool for posting my photos to the forum. I didn't use it just as a true gallery for storing my favorite photos.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

I say abandon and nuke it.

There’s a few old gems in there (DrP’s brush collection for example) that I still like to look at, but that’s it.

Thanks Vince.
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm definitely leaning towards nuking. If I go that route I'll make a backup of all the images just in case.

Thanks all. Will be in touch again soon.

Best,
Vince
:::Vince:::