thanks for civility

Since this is a new forum I'm looking for everyone's feedback so that we can customize the site accordingly. Post your suggestions and ideas here!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

thanks for civility

Post by Sam »

i thank the gentlemen here for having a forum where we can share ideas and no one really criticizes someone else. if there has been animosity, i have missed it or it has been kept private. i like guys willing to try things, and it is because of that willigness that i think this hot pot thing with joel really took off. so many guys on other forums even have mentioned they heard about this idea. in fact, i am trying to wean myself out of shaving in the shower, and doing it at the sink with my straight and the hot pot setup. i did so this morning

sam
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Re: thanks for civility

Post by Chris »

tngentleman1 wrote:i thank the gentlemen here for having a forum where we can share ideas and no one really criticizes someone else. if there has been animosity, i have missed it or it has been kept private. i like guys willing to try things, and it is because of that willigness that i think this hot pot thing with joel really took off. so many guys on other forums even have mentioned they heard about this idea. in fact, i am trying to wean myself out of shaving in the shower, and doing it at the sink with my straight and the hot pot setup. i did so this morning

sam
Ditto to my friend from the South...
Sitting in the morning sun
I'll be sitting when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
And I watch 'em roll away again
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Intelligence and maturity dominate this board :D .
honkdonker

Post by honkdonker »

Ditto.

It is important, I think, in our generally rude society, to be civil with one another. One can disagree with something without being disagreeable. That is very important, and is evidenced well on this forum.

THanks.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

just to let you guys know, in case you dont go there. the wetshavers is about to merge with wetshavers, and the moderators are going to be more proactive so that disputes are kept off the forum. i hate to take sides and hope that most things can be resolved. thank you, gentlemen

sam
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Austin wrote:Intelligence and maturity dominate this board :D .
It is unfortunate that the above was once true but is no longer. I for one will be spending less time here. The "disease" that infected the CR created forum and the "Wetshavers" forum has spread it seems.

Chris
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

chris: we are tyring to avoid that, but it was inevitable that something was going to break out. there has been much discussion among moderators on whether or not to lock a post, private message people asking to delete or tone down posts, and what to do about threads and if any flaming came up. discussions of censorship vs. free speech and yes, even discussions of eliminating everything other than your initial review/post. many times in life, there are not easy answers and sometimes, you come down on the side of free and open discourse. that is not to say that even as i type this, there is still some discussion on direction.

we value your postings and your membership. somehow, you have the ability to try many products and you are able or even willing to talk to retailers and manufacturers to share knowledge with us. you and joel seem the most willing to test products and i have benefited from your posts and even a sale or two from you. if you leave, well, i see you post on other boards, but there seemed to be a willingness here to try new things and to share tips.

sam
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

fisherc wrote:
It is unfortunate that the above was once true but is no longer. I for one will be spending less time here. The "disease" that infected the CR created forum and the "Wetshavers" forum has spread it seems.

Chris
Sorry you feel that way. Best of luck to you.
Sitting in the morning sun
I'll be sitting when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
And I watch 'em roll away again
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

fisherc wrote:

Chris
Chris, I have enjoyed your posts. It's unfortunate that your post on the Rooney brush took a turn for the worst. I was looking forward to your follow ups on this brush. I hope you reconsider and continue participating in this forum.

We need experienced members to make this forum legitimate and interesting. Best of luck.
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

Chris Fisher,

I think if it were I who had put the time and effort into testing and reporting on the Rooney brush only to have my review cast aside as it was and overlooked in the crap that ensued, I'd be frustrated and feel I'd been dirtied and ignored.

It was an excellent, well-thought-out review that showed your hard work, and I thank you for it and for all of your other excellent reviews.

As Dr. Chris indicated, we try to do the best we can do and move forward through the crap, deep as it might get at times, and hope that the more good there is, the less bad there'll be.

Dave T
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Gentleman:

Thank you for your comments. In general I would agree with all of you. I believe that what makes this substantively different is that the "events" we're all referring to were instigated by the "leadership" of this forum. This, in my view, is intolerable and not something I wish to associate with. And, I believe, is indicative of worse things to come. I've watched "leadership" of forums that preceded this one do very similar things that ultimately "ruined it" for everyone. I hope you're all wise enough to see these mistakes and not repeat them.

Chris
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

I agree with you, Chris, about what makes the recent nastiness so different from the others on other boards. It's deeply disappointing that it all was instigated by a leader and, I believe, co-creator of the forum, and I believe that leaders, or at least forum moderators, should be held to a different if not higher standard.

I think anyone would be hardpressed to find any forum -- coin collecting, wine tasting, quiltmaking, lawn care, woodworking, etc. -- that doesn't get nasty at times.

Joel, the leader of whom we speak, has apologized for his rashness and has indicated that he will step back and take a deep breath or two or three before speaking. I'm willing to bet that he'll evolve into a better member.

In any case, Chris, I hope you'll continue the same level of reviews and participation, and if it's elsewhere, I'll be looking for you.

Maybe we need a new subtopic dedicated solely to contentiousness. Name it "Fight Club."

Dave T
growler

Post by growler »

Gone for a week and I miss all the fun.

Hey, how much are those Rooney brushes anyways?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

joel gets all the cool toys. wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sam
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

the more places i read, the more this forum is like home

sam