First DE experience

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
shriram

First DE experience

Post by shriram »

I am a newbie (used to shave with a DE a long time ago) and then switched to the cartridge stuff.

So decided to get back with DE and got a cheap gillette non adjustable on ebay. also bought a Surrey soap at Rite aid and currently looking out for a decent brush (ebay has the tweezermans for $10.50 shipped which is ok for me I think to start out).

After some trepidation today tried to use the DE substituting it for the Mach 3 I normally use. Routine is hot shower, facial scrub, more hot water, edge gel then razor with the grain. Used the tips on this page (no pressure, reduce angle till blade contacts skin etc much thanks) and got an ok shave. 1 nick near bottom of neck, some spots on cheeck good shave, rest pretty spotty.

finished up with the Mach 3. Goal next time is to get most of the stubble off with the DE next time. No idea why it worked on some spots and not the rest.

Any other tips, next steps are brush, possibly an adjustable gillette and then maybe a Merkur

Shri
shriram

Thats probably what I am doing

Post by shriram »

I tried to compensate consciously for that, but of course was very non aggressive. Probably have to think what is happening with the angle as I move it.

Got to say though that it was not that tough, and I was not super intimidated (that said, my next shave will probably bleed enough to feed a family of vampires).

Course when I first used a DE was 15-16 and did it with no instruction/guidance, ahh to be yound, and fearless again.

Shri