What's your favorite DE blade?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
JackieMartling

What's your favorite DE blade?

Post by JackieMartling »

Hi all,

I just ordered my first DE razor, and now I have to decide which kind of blades to put in it. I am considering Merkur SS Platinum Blades, Feather High Stainless Platinum Blades, and plain ol' Gillette blades. I want to balance function with cost, but am willing to pay more for a better blade, assuming it is worth the price. Any thoughts? Feel free to mention a brand I haven't included, if it's your favorite.

Thanks.
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

I have tried Schick, Merkur, and Personna blades. I find the Merkurs to be the best so far. I get consistently great shaves with the Merkurs and I find that they are reasonably priced.

I've heard some good things and some bad things about the Feathers. Due to the mixed reviews I will likely not try them. As for Gillette I think they are priced at around $9 for a pack of 10 which is rediculous for DE blades. I will probably never try Feathers or Gilletes since the Merkurs work so well for me.

Vince
:::Vince:::
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

I agree with what you say about the Gillette pricing. I was at Walgreen's yesterday, and was shocked to see that a ten pack was going for $8.50. I couldn't understand it, when Merkurs go for $4.50, and Feathers for $6. Of course, I would have to pay shipping for the Merkurs and Feathers, but if I buy multiple packs at a time, it would still cost considerably less than the Gillettes.

Thanks for your feedback.
razor_boy
King Of Hard Soaps

Post by razor_boy »

I have been really happy with the Merkurs. I haven't tried a lot of others (I've tried Personna) but if it ain't broke why fix it?

Paul.
A Peach looks good with lots of fuzz but man's no peach and never was. ~ Burma Shave