OK to use M3 while adjusting to DE?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
JackieMartling

OK to use M3 while adjusting to DE?

Post by JackieMartling »

Once my first DE arrives in the mail, I will start shaving with a DE for the first time. My question is, is it OK to still use my M3 while adjusting to the DE? For instance, in order to save my skin, I might limit my initial DE use to one pass, then do the second pass with the M3 to get what I missed with the DE. Is that going to screw things up in terms of my face adjusting to the DE blade? In electric shaving circles, there's all this talk about having to shave exclusively with your new implement during the 3-4 week adjustment period. If you switch between shaving methods, your face will not adapt as readily, and you're just prolonging the process. Does the same apply to blade shaving, or is it that as long as you're using some kind of a blade, your face won't really know if you switch between them?
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Use your DE for the first pass only, then use the M3 for the 2nd and cleanup passes, for a month (or whenever you're ready). It should make the transition much easier. FWIW some shavers do this routinely, never using the DE for the entire shave.

(In fact, at the risk of inflaming passions again, I'm told that previous incarnations of RMWS used this very method--DE for the first pass then an M3 for cleanup. Pardon me while I duck for cover now.)

--Mark
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Even to this very day I use both a Mach 3 and my DE. I use the Mach 3 for my first pass and the DE to shave against the grain for the second pass. This has worked really well for me so far. I don't think it will be a problem if you use the Mach 3 while you transition to the DE.

Vince
:::Vince:::