Shaving In Public

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
hampsteronastick

Shaving In Public

Post by hampsteronastick »

I know that not everyone gets as excited about shaving as those on this board, but has anyone experienced animosity toward you for partaking in what is mostly a pleasurable experience?
I spent last week camping at provincial park here in Ontario and did my daily shave in one of the public restrooms. We were heading into town for the day so I wanted a nice shave and had just whipped up a bowl of CE Almond. Granted I was standing in a public washroom with a latte mug filled with something that smelled like, well latte and had bottles of witch hazel and after shave balm on the countertop. Anyway, in walks a guy who gave the impression being a "tough guy", perhaps the leather chaps and spiked gauntlet gave that impression. He walks straight for the sink next to me, fills his hands with water and turns toward me and throws the water on me. Well, I did not take so kindly toward this and very quickly put down my mug and brush while expressing some of the more colorful vocabulary words of my youth. I believe this action surprised him as he quickly left and jumped on his bike. Let me say that if someone my size (6'3" 270 lbs) turned toward me with the look I had in my eyes, I'd run too. I'm glad he took off since I'm basically a teddy bear but I was still upset and my shave was ruined.
Has anything like this happed to anyone else?
Dan
Daddy, why are you dipping the hampster in whipped cream?
It's not whipped cream, it's shaving cream.
Daddy, why are you shaving the hampster?
MindSpin

Post by MindSpin »

If I encountered a man, with chaps, in a public bathroom, while camping... I would have had thoughts of squealing like a pig and left quickly. And if I dropped something... I would have kicked it home.
Personal growth has always been a passion of mine... I'm just too lazy to do anything about it.
hampsteronastick

Shaving In Public

MindSpin,
Thanks for brightening my day and finding humour in an episode that still ticks me off. It wasn't my brush that I was thinking of kicking at the time.
Dan
MindSpin

Post by MindSpin »

So he actually tossed a handful of water on you? Out of the blue, for no reason. Odd.
Did you try making friends with him? Maybe share your shaving toys.
Personal growth has always been a passion of mine... I'm just too lazy to do anything about it.
Ben

Post by Ben »

MindSpin wrote:If I encountered a man, with chaps, in a public bathroom, while camping... I would have had thoughts of squealing like a pig and left quickly. And if I dropped something... I would have kicked it home.
:lol: :lol: :lol: =D> =D> =D>
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Dude, that happens to me all the time.
Except instead of shaving in public I'm usually sitting at a pavement cafe, and instead of a guy in chaps throwing water on me it's usually a lingerie model begging me to impregnate her. Other than that, the identical experience on a daily basis. Sometimes more than once a day.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Once, when I was on a pistol team, some idiot was actually stupid enough to start messing with me while I was on the line. I very calmly removed the magazine, cleared the chamber, put the gun down with the slide open on the bench, took a step back from the line, and let the guy know just what sort of brains it takes to mess with a guy who is very clearly holding a loaded gun. I told him this in my colorful native tongue of Brooklyn.

I then calmly walked back to the line, put the loose round back in the magazine, released the slide, and continued my slow fire practice round. Didn't here another peep out of the jerk for three months.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

MindSpin wrote:So he actually tossed a handful of water on you? Out of the blue, for no reason. Odd.
That's what I was wondering. I couldn't tell if the guy in the story splashed water haphazardly and it got on Dan or if he deliberately turned and threw a handful of water on him for no reason. Dan, can you give us a little more detail on what went down as you've got me curious?
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

ScottS wrote:Once, when I was on a pistol team, some idiot was actually stupid enough to start messing with me while I was on the line. I very calmly removed the magazine, cleared the chamber, put the gun down with the slide open on the bench, took a step back from the line, and let the guy know just what sort of brains it takes to mess with a guy who is very clearly holding a loaded gun. I told him this in my colorful native tongue of Brooklyn.

I then calmly walked back to the line, put the loose round back in the magazine, released the slide, and continued my slow fire practice round. Didn't here another peep out of the jerk for three months.

Scott,

Another option might have been to bust a cap in his ass, so that the jerk would have kept quiet for more than 3 months.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
hampsteronastick

Scott,
Sounds exactly like my experience. Although I did not have a gun, I was unshaven, suffering a lack of sleep and armed with a razor. I was probably just as dangerous. It looks like you handled your situation in a simialr manner.
I notice the trout unlimited tag. A fellow flyfisher perhaps?
Dan
Ben

Post by Ben »

McNutt wrote:
MindSpin wrote:So he actually tossed a handful of water on you? Out of the blue, for no reason. Odd.
That's what I was wondering. I couldn't tell if the guy in the story splashed water haphazardly and it got on Dan or if he deliberately turned and threw a handful of water on him for no reason. Dan, can you give us a little more detail on what went down as you've got me curious?
I bet the strange man thought Dan had neglected to use enough water in the shaving mug.

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
BD1970

Post by BD1970 »

He was reminding you to keep it wet....
Brad
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

:lol: Dan, I'm a big guy myself at 6 feet and 210, although I'm a shrimp next to you. Still, I was shaving at a public bathroom in my office building one morning with my DE, a brush, and some Proraso soap, when a smartass kid from the office next to mine came in, looked at me, and told me my soap stank. I didn't say a word, I kept on shaving, and when I finished, I told him to try a shower and some deodorant.

Jeff
Ben

Post by Ben »

Jeff, you should have held him down, used the heel of your shaving brush to knock out his teeth, and then shoved the puck of Proraso into his piehole.

hampsteronastick

Jumping back to the earlier observations, the guy definitely threw the water on me purposely.
Dan
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

Ben NO!!! Toothmarks in a Simpson handle would be a travesty. The horror!
Alrighty, stickim up and hand over the Coates real nice and slow like....
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

hampsteronastick wrote: I notice the trout unlimited tag. A fellow flyfisher perhaps?
Dan
There are a handful of us here. In fact, my last camping experience in Ontario was at the Elora Gorge on the Grand, where a buddy and I spent the day with Ian Martin and Neil Houlding
English

Post by English »

Those sort of things don't happen in England. We don't have any water left. Come to think of it we don't have any public wash places left either.

Dan, I'm proud of you. I think you showed great resolve and control.
hampsteronastick

Scott,
That sounds like a great day. I have met Ian Martin and would love to have a day on the stream with the gentleman.

English,
Thanks for the encouragement. I know the guy was trying to see how far he could push but but I don't know whether it was because of shaving or because I bear too strong a resemblance to Gerard Depardieu.
I have read much about the fishing situation in England and elsewhere and feel your pain. We are truely blessed in North America to have many beautiful and bountiful streams in which to fish. I only wish there were more trout in Ottawa.
Dan
Ben

Post by Ben »

Okay, so we all pretty much agree that the bathroom incident was nothing more than a playful, yet remarkably sexual, advance. Moving on....