Trumpers and my face... WTF happened?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Danny_N

Post by Danny_N »

I have dragged a blade across my dry face before in a moment of hungover, half-asleep stupidity... didn't feel good, but no cuts. I'm telling you, this Trumper's stuff was worse than shaving with nothing at all. It seemed to help the blade slice my skin. My technique may not be master level, but I'm no beginner...

Maybe I just got a horrendous batch of the stuff. Even so, inconsistency is something I won't tolerate in a "premium" product like Trumper's.

Different strokes for different folks... it may work great for some people's skin-types and beard-types, but I had to say something. A truly bad experience.

I don't want to trade it to anyone because I am so convinced of this tub's deficiency. I wouldn't feel right. So I'll just try and salvage it with glycerin or just mix a little into another cream for the scent, which, like I said, is fabulous.
jallen013

Post by jallen013 »

enough time had passed since trumpers and i didn't get along last that i forgot how unplesant things were so i tried it again. i got the same itchy red splotches on my face.

the first time it happened with a limes sample from em's place, the second time it happened with a almond sample straight from GFT. two times with the same unpleasant reaction ... trumpers and my face just don't get along.
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

I suggest you all immediately send your Trumper's tubs to me for further investigation! :D

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, I would like to assume that whoever you spoke with at Classic Shaving did not actually say that, "...Trumper's is crap...". I assure you that Ray Dupont would never have said such a silly thing, when he was at the helm, and I would hope that no one working there now, would either.

Mike, Along with Ren, and others, I would perhaps look at factors beyond the shave itself; stress, changes in water etc. I've used all the top shelf English creams for years, and, in truth, whilst each is a little different, and I think some are a tad better quality then others, they are all really quite similiar. Nobody offers a higher quality shaving cream then does Geo Trumper, and only a very few are even in the same league. That doesn't necessarily mean that they will be everyone's favourite, but if Taylors, or T&H work well for you, there is no real reason why the Trumper creams should be that much different. There are noticeable differences in the optimal water to cream ratio between various creams, and sometimes, switching from one to another requires a slight adjustment, but, again, the differences are just not all that great. There are certain creams that, because of coloring agents or whatever, do not agree as well with my skin, but, the quality of the lather itself is still tip-top. Harris's and Taylors lavender creams regretably, fall into this catagory for me personally, for example. I'd give these other factors some consideration, and play around with the Trumper's cream/water ratio a bit more.
Regards,
Gordon
msandoval858

Post by msandoval858 »

I took some time away from Trumpers and started rotating through WARS, Proraso, T&H Ultimate Comfort, and a few others I have stashed away. The shaves have been great. I'll come back around and give Trumpers another go, but the difference has been night and day. Sounds wierd I know, which is what prompted me to start this thread.

A friend recently suggested I try Coconut from Trumpers so I'm looking forward to that.

This week I've been cutting HydroLast for the first time. I'll eventually do a full review, but so far I can tell you that despite the varied opinions of it's creator, this stuff rocks 8)
Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

None of these formulations is the same, so more or less water, more or less lather work-up, and other variables must be addressed to get the best out of any cream you use -- regardless of price, name, or reputation. To say Trumper creams are crap is silly.

And I will join Gordon in saying that I have my doubts about anyone at Classic Shaving bashing Trumper creams.
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
MOSES

Re: Your shave Mike....

Post by MOSES »

bernards66 wrote:Gary, I would like to assume that whoever you spoke with at Classic Shaving did not actually say that, "...Trumper's is crap...". I assure you that Ray Dupont would never have said such a silly thing, when he was at the helm, and I would hope that no one working there now, would either.
Gordon, and Ben,
I think that would be a fair assumption. Take a careful look at what Gary said:
The Barber wrote:The guy at classicshaving said Trumper's is crap. JK
Now, for some of the more refined, dare I say less "hip", members of our community, JK or J/K is an abbreviation sometimes used for Just Kidding.
Alrighty, stickim up and hand over the Coates real nice and slow like....
baldchin

Post by baldchin »

I'm not happy with Trumpers either the best of them is the Coconut and its not that great. Violet, often recommended, is sweet smelling but apart from that does nothing for me. Minimal lubrication, horrible colour and maximum price.

Mixing a thicker lather doesn't make any real difference - applying skinfood between passes seems a bit pointless when you could just choose a more suitable cream.

I have a tub of rose unpacked and opened but otherwise untouched. Is it saleable?
Will

If it's smokin' it's cookin', when it's black it's done.
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

baldchin wrote:I have a tub of rose unpacked and opened but otherwise untouched. Is it saleable?
Yes, for sure. Even partly used tubs are regularly traded or sold on the selling and trading forum. Just post it up there, at a little bit of a discount off new price. There's a good chance you'll get a taker.
baldchin

Post by baldchin »

MOSES wrote:
baldchin wrote:I have a tub of rose unpacked and opened but otherwise untouched. Is it saleable?
Yes, for sure. Even partly used tubs are regularly traded or sold on the selling and trading forum. Just post it up there, at a little bit of a discount off new price. There's a good chance you'll get a taker.
Thanks
Will

If it's smokin' it's cookin', when it's black it's done.
Ben

Post by Ben »

MOSES wrote:
bernards66 wrote:Gary, I would like to assume that whoever you spoke with at Classic Shaving did not actually say that, "...Trumper's is crap...". I assure you that Ray Dupont would never have said such a silly thing, when he was at the helm, and I would hope that no one working there now, would either.
Gordon, and Ben,
Now, for some of the more refined, dare I say less "hip", members of our community, JK or J/K is an abbreviation sometimes used for Just Kidding.
Hi. I'm 30. I've been online since 1994. I know what J/K is. However, JK is John Kennedy. So for him to say John Kennedy at the end of that post does nothing to tell me he's just kidding.

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
msandoval858

Post by msandoval858 »

Ben wrote:
MOSES wrote:
Gordon, and Ben,
Hi. I'm 30. I've been online since 1994. I know what J/K is. However, JK is John Kennedy. So for him to say John Kennedy at the end of that post does nothing to tell me he's just kidding.
So you're saying that John Kennedy thought Trumpers was crap?! :shock:
Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

No, I'm saying Geo. F. Trumper was on the grassy knoll.

MOSES

Post by MOSES »

Ben wrote:However, JK is John Kennedy. So for him to say John Kennedy at the end of that post does nothing to tell me he's just kidding.
no no no no that would be jFk....

However, you may be correct about Trumper.... It must have had something to do with old anger over the collapse of the empire.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ah, well, it all sounds just too 'hip' for me. If it was just a goof, no harm done in what I wrote. If it wasn't, then, I'm glad I posted what I did.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

COATES Mr. Carter? Soon please.

Max
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Max, You and I; the voices crying out in the wilderness...sigh...
Gordon
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

Well, now you gentlemen are saying things I do not understand at all. How does Coates fit into this picture? Who is Mr. Carter? And why does arrival of Coates depend on him?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

MOSES, My apologies ( chuckle )....it doesn't really fit in, it's just that Max and I are big fans of the Coate's creams, and have been waiting a hell of a long time for them to complete their 'repackaging' project. David Carter is the owner of Simpson/Coate's.
Regards,
Gordon
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

AHA - (thread hijack, sorry)

Is it difficult to come by now as a result? I have yet to try the stuff, except for a sample of lime that I used up so early in my adventures that I really did not have enough to compare it to (although I do know I prefer the T&H scent). I do remember that Pastuer currently has (or did very recently) what looked like the entire line of creams....