Hair conditioner vs. glycerin

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Good to know. Thanks.
SteveL

Post by SteveL »

It has definitely been mentioned here before, and I have tried it and it works well. I do find the skind food to work a bit better though.

Also, it was noted that for some reason with citrus base scented creams/soaps that the conditioner would cause some kind of minor rash reaction. Since I love my citrus based scents so much I essentially gave up using conditioner. I may try it again soon though.
-Steve
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

Tried it this morning; incredible shave!!!! Got a travel size of Herbal essences conditiner knockoff, with wheat germ oil
My gf has a lavender scented conditioner
postoumios

Post by postoumios »

well I am ashamed :oops: :lol: but I have been using hair conditioner instead of shaving soap/brush for quite a while now,ever since my wife recommended it to me as the "perfect shaving cream".
of course I use it only when I am in hurry,but I can get exactly the same perfct shave I get with a brush/shaving soap but in 3 minutes flat.. :wink:
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

"Cremo Creme" doesn't seem remarkably different from conditioner (other than the price). I hate the smell though. How did you gentlemen warm up the conditioner prior to application.

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Scott, I stumbled on it. I was showering and for the last couple of weeks, using the glycerin. It is not as tacky feeling as the Skin food, and I was wondering about switching to the corn huskers lotion (and using witch hazel to cut it down somewhat, per Doug's suggestion). I usually apply conditioner to my hair prior to blade buffing, so I just used the conditioner left on my hands and then lathered my brush over that. You can bladebuff like crazy and the good thing is, I went back to my scalp, rubbed it and got more conditioner. Lathered again over that. Really, the lather and conditioner, when blade buffing, just never go anywhere, they are pushed around.

Sam
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

I have been using hair conditioner as a pre-lather for some time now. Learned about it here at SMF. Works great for me. I even put more on in between passes before each lather.

I have recommended this to friends at work who are not into brush shaving--you know, canned foam and multi blade 3 minute shaves--and even they report they are getting better shaves since trying my hair conditioner pre-shave tip!
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

MindSpin

Post by MindSpin »

Tuesday
Applied hair conditioner to my face first thing in the shower. I left it on for the duration of the shower, rinsing it off last thing before getting out. Other than that I applied nothing other than shave cream. 2 passes and cleanup. An alright shave but not as close, and I felt that doing more cleanup would give me a bunch of irritation.
One note, I'm using a Merkur Progress today and yesterday, rather than the Schick adjustable I used on Sunday when I did conditioner alone.
Dave
Personal growth has always been a passion of mine... I'm just too lazy to do anything about it.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Today I reverted to a regular shaving cream (DR Harris Almond with Chubby 1 Best), but still used the Progress. Very smooth and nice shave, and my cheeks didn't end up hot and red. So tomorrow I'll try the conditioner as a pre-shave: apply a bit to wet face, lather, and shave...

I think that for me the shave with hair conditioner alone is too apt to produce razor burn.
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

postoumios wrote:well I am ashamed :oops: :lol: but I have been using hair conditioner instead of shaving soap/brush for quite a while now,ever since my wife recommended it to me as the "perfect shaving cream".
of course I use it only when I am in hurry,but I can get exactly the same perfct shave I get with a brush/shaving soap but in 3 minutes flat.. :wink:
Damn!! another wetshaver with a dilemna
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

After reading all the hoopla I had to try it out. So last night I tried the "conditioner" approach and lo-and-behold I did get a fast decent shave.

That said, I noticed that I usually get a better shave using my current products and techniques. I will, however, use this new approach when I have to perform a real quick get-in-get-out type of shave. Nice to have alternatives.

Cliff
"Everything that can be invented, has been invented."
-Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

So, any update?
Sue
Vendor

Post by Sue »

I tried hair conditioner this am. I used Flex on one leg and my stick on the other. The Flex did work well but my skin felt quite dry. I'll try another brand tomorrow.
Sue
MindSpin

Post by MindSpin »

Wednesday
Same procedure as yesterday. Conditioner on my face at the beginning of the shower, rinse just before exiting. No other pre-shave before two with grain, and one against grain passes. Good shave. Not BBS. I can feel some stubble as I type this at 3:20 pm.
Tomorrow I'll try just hair conditioner and no shave cream.
Dave
Personal growth has always been a passion of mine... I'm just too lazy to do anything about it.
SteveL

Post by SteveL »

Has anyone tried conditioner with the citrus based scented creams lately? I definitely remember quite a few mentioning in previous threads that it would cause a rash and I wanted to know if this is indeed the case or just a coincidence.
-Steve
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well, I am not suggesting Hair Conditioner only, not as a bladebuffing substance or full shave. What I am asking is if anyone has tried using it instead of coral skin food for between passes, and then lather on top of it? I beleive it is slicker and maybe helps better with irritation, but its thickness has a tendency to clog up the blade and not allow the closeness. Just what I am thinking. Ill try some skin food for the next couple of days

Sam
MindSpin

Post by MindSpin »

Sam wrote:Well, I am not suggesting Hair Conditioner only, not as a bladebuffing substance or full shave. What I am asking is if anyone has tried using it instead of coral skin food for between passes, and then lather on top of it? I beleive it is slicker and maybe helps better with irritation, but its thickness has a tendency to clog up the blade and not allow the closeness. Just what I am thinking. Ill try some skin food for the next couple of days

Sam
On Monday I tried the conditioner under the shaving cream. Better than cream alone, but I felt like the conditioner got diluted.
MindSpin

Post by MindSpin »

Thursday
My plan was to use conditioner ONLY on my face today for shaving, BUT since I received a new Omega brush yesterday I was eager to use it, so I did. I used conditioner in the shower, rinsed before exiting, and shaved as usual. Taylor Rose, very nice shave.
Tomorrow I'll try conditioner only while I shave.
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

MindSpin wrote:Thursday
My plan was to use conditioner ONLY on my face today for shaving, BUT since I received a new Omega brush yesterday I was eager to use it, so I did. I used conditioner in the shower, rinsed before exiting, and shaved as usual. Taylor Rose, very nice shave.
Tomorrow I'll try conditioner only while I shave.
Try using the conditioner as a pre-shave. Don't rinse it off, lather on top of the conditioner. Note that you do not need to apply a lot--wet face, take about a dime size amount of conditioner in your palm, rub hands together and apply to your face. Lather over this then shave. :D
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

He did that on Monday. See his post above.