What does DR Harris Arlington smell like?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Drew

What does DR Harris Arlington smell like?

Post by Drew »

I just recently used DR Harris almond hard soap... man is that stuff good. It doesn't really smell like almond (which I really dislike in the creams) it just has a fresh "soap" smell. It is maybe the most lubricating shaving medium I have ever used (I also like Taylors, Proraso, et. al) but this stuff was very impressive. I've only used it once, though, so I'm saving final judgement until I have a few more data points.

I was wondering what their Arlington smelled like. Anyone have a good description? This stuff may have turned my thoughts on hard soaps vs. creams.

Drew
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Drew, I agree. D R Harris's Almond Shave Soap may be the best overall hard shave soap that I've used, and I've used a lot of them ( okay, fine, I've not tried the Tabac, I'll get around to it shortly ). I'm also partial to the T&H, Joris ( excellent, but I didn't care for the scent, unfortunately ), and the No89 Floris that I used to use. But, I like the Harris's Almond even a little better, perhaps. Intereatingly, I didn't have quite as good a luck with their Lavender or Arlington. I haven't a clue as to why, as I assume that they're the same, other then scent. They all produce excellent lather however. Arlington is mainly a lime scent, with basenotes of a fougere, and slightly 'powdery' nature. These other notes are more perceivable in the cologne then they are in the shave soap or cream. In the shaving preperations, Arlington strikes me as basically a lime scent. It's VERY nice, I think. Regards, Gordon
Drew

Post by Drew »

"...with basenotes of a fougere..." isn't that goose liver? Oh, that's foie gras, never mind. I don't care how well a soap lathers, if it has the scent of goose liver, count me out!

The Arlington seems intriguing. It may be next on my list once I'm done with my numerous other soaps/creams. Interesting how you couldn't get it to lather as well as the almond... I wonder what that's all about. Thanks for the input, Gordon.

Drew
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

Drew: I don't get much scent at all from my Arlington Shave Cream in a tube, but I do get excellent shave comfort/quality. To me, the Arlington cream smells almost like you described the Almond soap...soapy, clean, barbershop, very nice. Don't expect much lime or citrus, though. I sure don't get it. Best, John.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Drew, I think I wasn't clear in the above post. The other two soaps lathered just as well as the Almond, but didn't seem to agree with my skin as well, for some unknown reason. All three have very nice scents,IMO, and while the Arlington does not knock one over the head with lime scent, still it's definately perceivable. I'm quite sure you'll enjoy it, the goose liver note is very muted. Regards, Gordon
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Post by guenron »

Drew wrote:"...with basenotes of a fougere..." isn't that goose liver? Oh, that's foie gras, never mind. I don't care how well a soap lathers, if it has the scent of goose liver, count me out!

The Arlington seems intriguing. It may be next on my list once I'm done with my numerous other soaps/creams. Interesting how you couldn't get it to lather as well as the almond... I wonder what that's all about. Thanks for the input, Gordon.

Drew
Hey! Where can I get that goose-liver shaving soap? Do they have any avec truffe too? :lol:
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Drew, I tend to agree with Gordon, Arlington is kind of on the citrusy side. Also, it has a clean pleasant soapy scent. The cologne lasts well on my skin, but it's not heavy at all.

Jeff
stuff495

Post by stuff495 »

Arlington smells a lot like Williams soap. Not identical by any means, but pretty close -- especially to a nave like me :wink:.

DR Harris is great stuff though -- pretty hard for a shave soap (so it lasts per ounce), and an *amazing* lather. Unfortunatly it gives me a bit of irritation. Damn babyish skin :evil:. Really good soap though.

I've only smelled the Arlignton, but I imagine it's the same as the DR Harris Almond (which I own) in every way but scent. My reccomendation is to definitly go for it! Personally I prefer mugs that are deeper then the bowls the DR Harris comes in, so I would recomend buying a refill for half the price, and then hitting up the local thrift shop to find an old mug, or even a bowl (hopefully for under a buck) to keep the soap in.

--Vincent
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

:) Do you find Arlington smells like Williams? Gee I don't! Yet, when I shave with it and then wear the cologne, I find I smell like I took a shave at the barber shop, I love that fragrance.

Jeff
Smooth

Re:

Post by Smooth »

bernards66 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:47 pm Drew, I think I wasn't clear in the above post. The other two soaps lathered just as well as the Almond, but didn't seem to agree with my skin as well, for some unknown reason. All three have very nice scents,IMO, and while the Arlington does not knock one over the head with lime scent, still it's definitely perceivable. I'm quite sure you'll enjoy it, the goose liver note is very muted. Regards, Gordon
I know this was posted 13 years ago, but it had me worried about the scent of goose innards.

A quick trip to Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foug%C3%A8re), where I found this fascinating gem:

Fougère, pronounced [fu.ʒɛʁ], is one of the main olfactive families of perfumes. The name comes from the French language word for "fern". Fougère perfumes are made with a blend of fragrances: top-notes are sweet, with the scent of lavender flowers; as the more volatile components evaporate, the scents of oakmoss, derived from a species of lichen and described as woody, sharp and slightly sweet, and coumarin, similar to the scent of new-mown hay, become noticeable. Aromatic fougère, a derivative of this class, contains additional notes of herbs, spice and/or wood.[2]

The name originated with Houbigant Parfum's Fougère Royale. This perfume, created by Houbigant owner Paul Parquet, was later added to the scent archives known as the Osmothèque, in Versailles, France.[1] Houbigant re-introduced this fragrance in 2010.[2]

Perfumes of this type are especially popular as fragrances for men.[1] Many modern fougère perfumes have various citrus, herbaceous, green, floral and animalic notes included. The most common additions to the basic fragrance blend include vetiver and geranium. Bergamot is often present to add sharpness to the lavender top-note.

Now I'm reassured, think I'll have a go.
brothers

Re: What does DR Harris Arlington smell like?

Post by brothers »

I'm surprised finding out Houbigant re-introduced Fougere Royale in 2010.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I find it to be a light citrus-y based scent. I used to always have a stick in my kit bag for travel before my dive into simplification. I still have a half wooden bowl and about 2/3 of a stick. A very nice scent - in fact, I haven't tried a DR Harris soap that I haven't liked. Lavender, Almond and Arlington are all excellent.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Then again, we must remember that Wendell IS an anglophile. :D
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Arlington is by far my favourite aftershave; i’ve Not tried their shaving cream or soap, however. As Wendell said, it has a light, citrusy scent, which I find very refreshing and just the thing to finish my morining shave with all year round.
Bryan
Pointer

Post by Pointer »

To be honest, esp the soap, it reminds me of Arko
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

slackskin wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:24 pm Then again, we must remember that Wendell IS an anglophile. :D
O:)

We need a brit emoji!!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've always enjoyed the Arlington and Marlborough scents , but, try as I might, I couldn't accommodate Almond, Windsor, Lavender, and Sandalwood .
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nav

Post by nav »

For anyone still wondering about Arlington, I get a nice blend of citrus top notes, along with beautiful grassy/green, fern notes.

One of my all time favorites!!