Where do you get DE blades?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
teamccloud

Where do you get DE blades?

Post by teamccloud »

I know I can get the cheap versions at the grocery store or at CVS, and I can order the other name brands (Merkur etc.) online. But is there a retail location for those name brands? I seem to remember hearing that you can get some blades at a knife shop or something like that.
Jeff
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Knife shops in my area carry Merkur products. But I'm on the west coast and in Canada, so that doesn't mean much to you. :(
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

I get my Israeli blades from my barber. He uses them in his shavette and buys them by the case. $10 a box of 100. Ask your barber what he uses and see if he will sell them to you.
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Feather blades(This one's in my post on shaving where I talk about blades.)

Derby blades

Israeli blades

Swedish Gillette
teamccloud

Post by teamccloud »

nteeman wrote:I get my Israeli blades from my barber. He uses them in his shavette and buys them by the case. $10 a box of 100. Ask your barber what he uses and see if he will sell them to you.
My barber, who really is a barber, is a cute 30-something chick who doesn't use blades. Or at least not to my knowledge. I'll ask the next time I'm in for a cut.
Jeff
vespergo

Post by vespergo »

you can pick up israeli blades really cheap from ebay. feather's are a good buy from pauldog (on this forum) and cottonblossumcrafts (can't remember the full name).
Josh
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

Or you can look in the Selling and Trading Forum and get a great deal from Leisureguy (Michael) on a box of blades used by the Israeli Special Forces. :lol:
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
rahul325
wEtShAvEr

Post by rahul325 »

teamccloud wrote:
nteeman wrote:I get my Israeli blades from my barber. He uses them in his shavette and buys them by the case. $10 a box of 100. Ask your barber what he uses and see if he will sell them to you.
My barber, who really is a barber, is a cute 30-something chick who doesn't use blades. Or at least not to my knowledge. I'll ask the next time I'm in for a cut.
i think Neal was talking about a "real" barber shop, not one of the chains(supercuts, etc).
Wet shaving is an expensive addiction :twisted:

FS - 2 fatboys - E2 and F4, both in good condition. Pls PM me
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

You can also see if there are any local barber and beautician supply shops that sell to the general public. Some of them will have regular razor blades.
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

My barber gets his Israeli Personna straight blades at the local Sally Beauty Supply -- which I believe is a chain with pretty good coverage:

www.sallybeauty.com/mapquest/locator.asp
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Given the range of stuff you Ameddicans can get hold of (I am having to have a Plisson brush shipped from Atkinsons to LA and brought over to London by a friend -- this is a brush which comes from our nearest Eruopean neighbour!) it is a pleasant relief to say that I can get Swede Gillettes at miy local chemist, Tesco blades 5 minutes' walk away from that, and Merkur at TGS, not half an hour's drive away from my SO's place.

</SMUG_MODE>
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

Pauldog wrote:You can also see if there are any local barber and beautician supply shops that sell to the general public. Some of them will have regular razor blades.
Pauldog is being modest and didn't mention that he has the best deal on Feathers.
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

Bargepole wrote:Given the range of stuff you Ameddicans can get hold of snip.......

</SMUG_MODE>
What is an Ameddican?
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

It's an American with the "r" pronounced like people from Chicago think that strangulated upper-class people from England pronounce their 'r's. I first encountered it in a marvellous, savage, funny book: "Tony", Patrick Dennis (1966).

It's not actually true. The English upper-classes don't pronounce their 'r's at all. In fact they pronounce very little at all (or, as they would pronounce that clause: "Airchy, i pnahnz eh-ee 'il torl")

The ones who say Ameddican are the ones who parody what Nancy Mitford called "U" speech. Noël Coward is the greatest example.

Teddibly soddy for any confusion.

---
Michael
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I think the myth of the upper crust D for R consonant shift is a way of trying to describe the trill given to an R by the very tip of the tongue on the hard palate just behind the top teeth. You can practice it, if so inclined, by first rolling an R the way a Scotsman does - note that you are making that sound with the part of your tongue that is about halfway back? Now try it again but try to make the vibration further forward, and when you get to the tip you will have mastered the crisp R typical of 1930's upper class English. The stereotyped military mode of speech uses this extensively.
The less intelligible, but accurate, example given next by Michael is more of the Sloane Ranger style - for a simple example next time you would like to say 'Oh no', substitute 'Air nair'.

Chris
Cunning Linguist
Last edited by drmoss_ca on Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

drmoss_ca wrote:I think the myth of the upper crust D for R consonant shift is a way of trying to describe the trill given to an R by the very tip of the tongue on the hard palate just behind the top teeth. You can practice it, if so inclined, by first rolling an R the way a Scotsman does - not that you are making that sound with the part of your tongue that is about halfway back? Now try it again but try to make the vibration further forward, and when you get to the tip you will have mastered the crisp R typical of 1930's upper class English. The stereotyped military mode of speech uses this extensively.
The less intelligible, but accurate, example given next by Michael is more of the Sloane Ranger style - for a simple example next time you would like to say 'Oh no', substitute 'Air nair'.

Chris
Cunning Linguist
Speaking of which I trained Theodore Bikel when he was in Miami doing some stage work. :wink:
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape