Another one bites the dust.......

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
kaptain_zero

Another one bites the dust.......

Post by kaptain_zero »

Well, my next to brand new Duke 3 has developed 2 small cracks in the handle right next to the knot. Looks like I will have to get it replaced, darn it! I was just settling in and getting comfortable with it too! :cry:

I was planning on getting a Tulip 3 or 4 but now I'm waffling... there's been some talk elsewhere that quality control has been slipping a bit over at Simpsons, no doubt due to trying to meet the increased demand from you lot! :evil: So the question becomes, will my next brush be ok?!?! I know the dealers and Simpson stands behind their products but the pain of getting these things sorted out are.... well.... a pain! I'll probably go ahead with the Tulip but just for the heck of it, does anyone have a suggestion as to what brush might be similar to the otherwise very unique Tulip?

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Christian, The Tulip is unique, partially because of it's very old fashioned looking and unusually comfy feeling handle. As far as the working aspect and general 'feel' of the brush is concerned, I think that the Rooney Finest, Style 1, Medium is probably the closest. I have one, and it's quite similiar in most respects. Or you could just wait a bit, and then order the Tulip. Apparently, Simpson got some sub-par polyresin rods from their supplier, and these are the origin of this cracking problem. In a little bit, this should be sorted out, and the handles returned to their usual state of duribility. But, of course, "waiting" is not a shavegeek strong suit, is it?
Regards,
Gordon
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

bernards66 wrote: In a little bit, this should be sorted out, and the handles returned to their usual state of duribility. But, of course, "waiting" is not a shavegeek strong suit, is it?
Regards,
Gordon
Actually, I tend to think of myself as quite a patient fellow... too patient sometimes...... to a fault. I don't think the time factor or being without a brush irritates me, it's the shipping and handling bit because I can't purchase it "over the counter" and receive warranty service the same way. Those pesky shipping costs add up at an alarming rate sometimes.

Rooney's finest you say? I think that may just be a bit rich for my blood... and as nice as that brush is... it does not have the appeal of the Tulip....<sigh>.

I've not handled a Rooney in person..... Ravi wisely left his herd at home when attending our recent SMF Winnipeg meeting. However, I must say that the Duke 3 I have really has the hand made look to it. I can see the marks left from the actual turning of the handle on a lathe using hand held tools. This does not show on my Savile Row brushes, they are perfectly smooth and polished..... a nice finish to be sure but without that hand made feel to them that I really enjoy.

The REALLY irritating part is not knowing if my brush will get worse... the tiny cracks that are there now simply add to the realism that it might be made from genuine ivory and yet, should it continue to deteriorate there is a point of no return where any warranty would be null and void.

I suppose it's time to write a note to Lee, at least he is on this continent and not a half a world away.

Regards

Kaptain "I"d really prefer to have my cake and eat it too!" Zero
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Christian, If it's any consolation I dropped my Chubby 1 travel brush some three years ago now and the small crack on top has not grown at all. BTW, although a late bloomer you will notice the Tulip being mentioned more and more these days. It's all about the handle, handle, handle with these brushes. You can't go wrong.

Max
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Max, Indeed. I remember a bit over two years ago when I first brought them up over on Wetshavers. No one ever mentioned them, let alone had one. They were unavailable in North America, even Cambridge Chemists didn't have any. It's nice to see other serious wetshavers discovering them now. One of the really best all around shave brushes made, I think.
Regards,
Gordon
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Sorry to hear about your brush. The Tulip is very comfy to hold and beautiful to look at. The T4 has a decent size knot that I like, it is very dense so it doesn't bloom like my Kent BK8, for example (they have a similar sized knot). The handle is quite chunky though, but I have small hands and manage okay.
Richard
kirkawall

Re: Another one bites the dust.......

Post by kirkawall »

kaptain_zero wrote: I was planning on getting a Tulip 3 or 4 but now I'm waffling... there's been some talk elsewhere that quality control has been slipping a bit over at Simpsons, no doubt due to trying to meet the increased demand from you lot! :evil: So the question becomes, will my next brush be ok?!?! I know the dealers and Simpson stands behind their products but the pain of getting these things sorted out are.... well.... a pain! I'll probably go ahead with the Tulip but just for the heck of it, does anyone have a suggestion as to what brush might be similar to the otherwise very unique Tulip?

Regards

Christian
Hi Christian,

I am a Tulip 3 convert and, after trying more than seven (!) brushes on the excellent advice found on this forum, it and the Harris H2 are the only brushes I use now. There is nothing like it, in my limited experience, not only in terms of the unique and very comfortable handle, but also in the springy-yet-soft feel of its bristles. It is, with apologies to the capable and very luxurious H2, far and away the best brush I own and yet not the most expensive. That said, this is my second T3 after the first one I had developed a bizarre tic of shedding the tips of its bristles. This is a "white" T3 and I've had no problems with it, beyond a single shed hair in nearly a year's regular use. I bought mine from Lee and he was an absolute prince in terms of customer service -- for this replacement brush he spent significant time talking with Simpson's and then fully inspected it before shipping to me. So, no, I guess there isn't anything quite like a T3 though I'm sure that there are other brushes with equivalent or even (depending on taste) superior performance. I'm beginning to think that the buying of a brush is sort of like buying a car, art, high-end audio or even jewellery -- the vendor makes a huge difference. I'm sure that Lee or one of the other trusted vendors here can pick out a perfect brush and will then stand behind it, so to speak. But I understand your frustration. After all, these are shaving brushes, for the love of @#&, not high-tech instruments with their associated design complexities, parts counts and corresponding failure rates. It does seem odd that so many problems crop up.

good luck,

k