SOTD: More than meets the eye.

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

SOTD: More than meets the eye.

Post by Bargepole »

Elsewhere, Gordon observed that:
bernards66 wrote:...Even though I post ( obsessively...sigh ) in the SOTD forum almost daily, in a sense, it's kind of silly...
Kind of silly, but kind of rather useful for the future, too.

See, part of my work involves teaching final-year students about a very ancient dramatic form. SWMBO is an ancient historian. We both know - as everyone remotely engaged in this field knows - that some of the most fascinating things are those we will never know because they were to mundane to write about at the time. Did the drains from the Baths of Caracalla get clogged with grease? What did the baths smell like? Did the toga uirilis itch? How often -- and how -- did they clean them? And so on.

Two thousand years from now -- if certain ill-informed, plausible madmen haven't extinguished our posterity -- historians of the future may say "I wonder how they shaved, back in the 2nd millenium CE? How long did it take? What did the stuff smell like? Did they cut themselves, did they enjoy it, how long did it take, was it itchy?"

And, thanks to SOTD, and the rest of this board - not to mention BreadknifeAndBeaver - they will know. So we may joke among ourselves about our ADs and general geekery (but let anyone from the Outside joke and we'll damn it SHAVE them) but in reality we're providing not just a place to chat about stuff which, let's face it, would bore many of our friends and family into a cosy oblivion, but also a truly valuable cultural/historical resource.

And with that thought I will now find myself so intimidated that I will never be able write another wor...
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Ummmm... Just glad that I can offer photographic evidence for historical purposes. If I had to chisel my SOTD on a stone tablet or cave wall, it would be a bitch.
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yes, the historical factor. I'm most suseptible to that notion, as you can imagine. Definately one of the most appealing intellectualizations to cover up our carryings on here ( chuckle). Pray, do remind us now and again.
Regards,
Gordon
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

I was immediately reminded of that splendid book "Motel of the Mysteries" by Macaulay. Perhaps he could do one up under the "Beaver & Butter knife" title?

Here's to historical anachronism (as I figuratively raise a glass of Pick-Me-Up)...

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...
Rob

Post by Rob »

You know, I've never posted in the SOTD forum before. Maybe I should...
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Rob_TN wrote:You know, I've never posted in the SOTD forum before. Maybe I should...
Everyone is doing it. Better yet, get the camera out.
Richard
Rob

Post by Rob »

rustyblade wrote:Everyone is doing it. Better yet, get the camera out.
Hehe, I love an excuse to use my camera. :D
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Michael, Well the baths of Caracella smelled like something akin to family, friends, kids, or...poopoo! Just like shaving make sure to look at the right ingredients for your direction. Veterans day here and in the UK. Let's get those lads back home.

Max
Bob

Post by Bob »

Yes, the SOTD is silly. I do enjoy reading some of the entries, and the pictures are often quite good. Still, it is silly, yet I do it anyway. Now I have a justification. Thank you, Bargepole.
--Bob--
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bob, Yes, we have Michael's excellent rationalization, so do please continue on with your SOTD entries, as I always find them interesting.
Regards,
Gordon
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

I don't think that "silly" is the right word. I view it as entertaining. While the main focus of the forums may be to share information and help others, a certain amount of levity and fun must exist or, IMO, the majority of members would fade away quickly. The SOTD forum provides information, fun, and with the onslaught of the great photography, definite entertainment. I've learned a lot about different brushes based on pictures that have been posted. I've also learned about numerous products because of posts and pics both. To an outsider who does not share our passion, I'll agree that "silly" is the word. But for me as a member, I'm entertained...possible too easily!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Randy, No, I never said that the SOTD feature is 'silly' in and of itself. In my original post, that Michael was alluding to, I said that it was kind of silly that I posted there daily, because my shaving routine doesn't really vary much anyway. Only within certain pretty set perimeters. Part of it is simply shavegeekness on my part, and some of it is that I like to continue to remind members of stuff that I think is especially good. It's just harmless fun, and interesting too, I agree.
Regards,
Gordon
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

bernards66 wrote:Randy, No, I never said that the SOTD feature is 'silly' in and of itself. In my original post, that Michael was alluding to, I said that it was kind of silly that I posted there daily, because my shaving routine doesn't really vary much anyway. Only within certain pretty set perimeters. Part of it is simply shavegeekness on my part, and some of it is that I like to continue to remind members of stuff that I think is especially good. It's just harmless fun, and interesting too, I agree.
Regards,
Gordon
That alone is a great reason for you to post. As one of the respected "elders" in the shaving community, it is interesting to see what you post, knowing that you are not out trying everything that comes along. Obviously, quality products are the most important part of your posts.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

bernards66 wrote:Randy, No, I never said that the SOTD feature is 'silly' in and of itself. In my original post, that Michael was alluding to, I said that it was kind of silly that I posted there daily, because my shaving routine doesn't really vary much anyway. Only within certain pretty set perimeters. Part of it is simply shavegeekness on my part, and some of it is that I like to continue to remind members of stuff that I think is especially good. It's just harmless fun, and interesting too, I agree.
Regards,
Gordon
Well said Gordon. My shaving routine hardly ever changes. It's almost always a Schick 'M', a TwInjector blade, QED soap of some flavor and a dab of either Palmolive or TRSC cream for superlather, then a tonic of some sort followed by a JASON product and then maybe a EDT for spice. I stopped posting there because mine rarely if ever varies. I like reading what the rest of you use, but because mine, to me, seems so mundane I think I'll hold off until I try something really exciting.

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

Tye wrote:
Regards,
Gordon
Well said Gordon. My shaving routine hardly ever changes. It's almost always a Schick 'M', a TwInjector blade, QED soap of some flavor and a dab of either Palmolive or TRSC cream for superlather, then a tonic of some sort followed by a JASON product and then maybe a EDT for spice. I stopped posting there because mine rarely if ever varies. I like reading what the rest of you use, but because mine, to me, seems so mundane I think I'll hold off until I try something really exciting.

-Tye
Ditto. I could literally use the same pictures in rotation to illustrate my daily shaves. I suppose it would be more fun were I to be trying new products. The way GFT is behaving of late, that may be a real possibility...

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...