Coate's Convert

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Coate's Convert

Post by jvan »

After three or four years of hearing Gordon and others sing the praises of the Coate's line of creams I succumbed to the temptation and took advantage of the Knox Cigar sale two months back and purchased a pot of Limes and Tea Tree. I know that Gordon had recommended the Limes to me on a couple of occasions so I had to try it for myself and I like it!

However the Tea Tree has become my favorite among all my creams that include or have included the entire Taylor line. After using the Tea Tree twice I contacted Knox to grab a couple more pots only to be informed that I had received one of the last few they had in stock.

The Tea Tree scent seems to get little or no recognition but I like it very much and am in the market for any shaving product in that scent.
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

May we remind you of the follies of falling in love with a product that has such a limited supply and the possibility of not coming back on the market for a long long time?

Ask poor Bob about his new love of old formula Harris Aftershave Milk.
Richard
Ben

Post by Ben »

I do enjoy Coate's Tea Tree. I bought several from Knox at the closeout price. The dehydrated stuff works just like soap. Fantastic!
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

I was quite surprised to find that my pot of Tea Tree was in excellent condition and not at all dried out.
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
Bob

Post by Bob »

Ahh, Richard, you're quite right. I'm now desperately buying up any bottles of the old formula Harris milk I can find. I also bought three pots of the Coates lime shave cream from Knox.

What's next? Perhaps I can find one cake of some obscure shave soap from the 1880s on eBay, and get hooked on that.

Gordon, how do you live with all this guilt?
--Bob--
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Richard, Don't say that for the love of God. You know it's coming back. While in town today I could smell boxes and boxes of the Coates in that airplane 37,000 feet up passing OVER Bolton and landing in an airstrip near my small village.

Max
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Yep, the Tea Tree is probably my favourite cream and I snagged 7 tubs of it a while back. :D It's worth the effort of rehydrating it. It's already dry, so a couple more years in the house won't hurt it. :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Nitrox wrote:Yep, the Tea Tree is probably my favourite cream and I snagged 7 tubs of it a while back. :D It's worth the effort of rehydrating it. It's already dry, so a couple more years in the house won't hurt it. :lol:
Seven tubs! Wow.... That is a worse affliction than my stock of 5 Kent soaps.
Richard
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

rustyblade wrote:
Nitrox wrote:Yep, the Tea Tree is probably my favourite cream and I snagged 7 tubs of it a while back. :D It's worth the effort of rehydrating it. It's already dry, so a couple more years in the house won't hurt it. :lol:
I'm afraid my SCAD is worse than my SBAD. I have multiple tubs of other creams too. :lol: :oops:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

rustyblade wrote:
Richard after hearing you rave about these and seeing them in your SOTD, where's the best place to get them? Directly from Kent?
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

texasPI wrote:
rustyblade wrote:
Richard after hearing you rave about these and seeing them in your SOTD, where's the best place to get them? Directly from Kent?
Search for the Kentbrushes store on ebay where they are offloading their old stock bowls.
Richard
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

Thank you sir! 8)
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
Arik66

Post by Arik66 »

rustyblade wrote:May we remind you of the follies of falling in love with a product that has such a limited supply and the possibility of not coming back on the market for a long long time?

Ask poor Bob about his new love of old formula Harris Aftershave Milk.
Dodo meat anyone?

Wonder which will come first - Coate's returning, Taylor's Rose old formula reintroduced (in some form) or World Peace :mrgreen:

I'm betting it'll be Coate's back on the market. A fair chance?

Basing this optimism on a post I read a few weeks ago (probably on this forum) arguing very reasonably that Coate's does need wickedly long time to finalise the conversion due to 'industry usual' thechnical and legal issues.

Cheer up then :D

Arik.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bob, I am a therapist, I know how to deal with guilt ( chuckle, chortle ).

John, Well it's about bloody time! This took even longer then the DE razor thing, for heaven's sake! Now, I know that you had a whole cupboard of pots of Taylors, but really now. Surely you didn't think that I was making it all up? ( chuckle ). Seriously, glad that you finally got a hold of some. Hopefully the full line will return to the market soon. It better. In addition to you, I've gotten Brett hooked on the Coate's Almond.
Regards,
Gordon
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

The latest word from Simpsons/Coates is that they "have had some difficulty in sorting out the new packaging" but expect to relaunch the brand in March or April 2007. They are unable to sell directly to the public as they are out of stock of most of their products. The saga continues...

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
Bob

Post by Bob »

Thanks very much for the update, Ren. I wonder how the new packaging will look? Perhaps they are thinking "outside the box", and will sell their creams in goatskins, grease guns, or something equally radical.

Well, if they're saying April, I'm guessing July. I may be up in Manhattan in early December. Perhaps Pasteurs will still have some of the old stuff left.
--Bob--
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bob, Be a good fellow, and leave some for me. I'll be in later in December.
Regards,
Gordon
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ren, Thanks for the update. At least they're still working on it, and haven't decided drop the product. All we can do is wait, I guess, and muddle along as best we can ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Gordon, I like the Trumper sandalwood soap. Which cream comes closest to that in scent and lubrication?

Sam
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

Gordon,

I guess there isn't much else we can do except wait and hopefully Coates will make a triumphant return next year. I wonder if Gregory's Barbershop has any stock??

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor