Cleanser Recommendations

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
AZwildcat

Cleanser Recommendations

Post by AZwildcat »

I have a mild acne problem and have been looking for a good cleanser. Right now I am washing my face with a marseille cube. It helped clear up my skin initially but lately it hasn't been as effective. I only use all natural products for shaving and showering/bathing. I have run the gammut of all the possible store bought cleansers (cetaphyl, baxters, etc.) and I will no longer use products with SLS or other possibly irritating ingredients.

I have read a lot of Chris Fishers posts (as I saw that he is a skincare expert by trial and error) and am considering purchasing either a OSEA cleanser, evanhealy tea tree, or Naprodis (not sure if it is the same as the evanhealy). Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am also considering coupling this new cleanser with a some Shaving Gallery Tea tree. I have tried Tea tree products in the past (bath soaps) and have not had any adverse reactions.
Chris
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Page Chris Fisher!
AZwildcat

Post by AZwildcat »

Austin wrote:Page Chris Fisher!
should I PM him?
Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Yes, I would suggest that you PM Mr. Fisher. I would have suggested Marseilles soap. If you want something more esoteric, then he is the man to talk to.
Regards,
Gordon
AZwildcat

Post by AZwildcat »

bernards66 wrote:Chris, Yes, I would suggest that you PM Mr. Fisher. I would have suggested Marseilles soap. If you want something more esoteric, then he is the man to talk to.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon,

The Marseilles soap worked great to begin with but I think my skin is becoming immune to it. Maybe I just need to alternate periodically. Or maybe the soap lost its efficacy.
Chris
djr7572

Post by djr7572 »

Quite honestly, I feel that Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser is about the best facial cleanser available. In my mind there is nothing more gentle. I would not invest a lot of money in a facial cleanser when you can buy Cetaphil at any drugstore and most grocery stores. Cetaphil is non-alkaline, non-comedogenic, and fragrance free. This really is the "safest" facial cleanser you can buy- especially if you have sensitive skin.

Highly recommended.

AZwildcat

Post by AZwildcat »

djr7572 wrote:Quite honestly, I feel that Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser is about the best facial cleanser available. In my mind there is nothing more gentle. I would not invest a lot of money in a facial cleanser when you can buy Cetaphil at any drugstore and most grocery stores. Cetaphil is non-alkaline, non-comedogenic, and fragrance free. This really is the "safest" facial cleanser you can buy- especially if you have sensitive skin.

Highly recommended.

As I stated in my first post I have used Cetaphil, and actually used it for awhile and it does not work for me. It may work for some but it doesn't work for me. I actually found the baxter's to be better but neither worked as well as the marseilles. I am just looking for something to be a bit better.
Chris
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Chris, I have been using the Osea Ocean cleanser for a couple of weeks now and love it. I only used soap in the past but now prefer the OSEA. Maybe it's the high concentration of seaweed and all the benefits it provides that have me excited about this product. The Shaving Gallery is a Creightons made cream with a natural preservative. It has a light citrus scent with lime and some orange and grapefruit added. A unique addition to the traditional English creams available. Thanks again to Chris F. for all his hard work finding these products we may not have discovered on our own.

Max
SimonM

Post by SimonM »

Kiss My Face makes a citrus non-lathering facial cleanser which I practically guarantee won't dry out your skin, and the ingredient list is free of anything that might cause concern. I didn't find it particularly effective, but it's cheap and easily available at places that carry KMF products.

I haven't tried any cleansers from Jason, but if you like tea tree oil, it seems like all of their products feature it, and again, very natural products.

Might be worth adding that depending on how long this recent bout of ineffectiveness has been lasting with your soap, it could be nothing. Even with good products and cleaning habits, outbreaks happen and it could be something else that has changed that is causing a problem.
jallen013

Post by jallen013 »

i've been using dr.bronner's baby-mild to wash my face for a month or so and i'm REALLY happy with the results.

Ingredients: Water, Saponified Organic Coconut & Olive oils (w/ retained Glycerin), Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Citric Acid, Vitamin E

just something else to consider.
daveshaves

Post by daveshaves »

How many times a day are you washing your face? If you are washing it more than once a day, try washing your face less. Less is more a lot of the time with these things.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Chris, it sounds from your initial post that your problem is that your acne has recurred, not that your face is drying out from your soap. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As a younger man, I suffered from acne. I think that acne goes through cycles. While it may seem that a soap that gave you good results is no longer working, it may simply be the case that you're at the top of an acne cycle. My advice is to ask a dermatologist about all this. We can all offer you suggestions on soaps that we love, but a doctor will be able to tell you more about what is going on with your skin and what can be done about it.

Whatever you decide, good luck in your soap quest.
--Bob--
scarface911

Post by scarface911 »

Try some of the Mario Badescu line of facial cleansers. They have some for acne as well. They work great on my oily skin. Their priced resonably and last a very long time.

http://www.mariobadescu.com
AZwildcat

Post by AZwildcat »

Bob wrote:Chris, it sounds from your initial post that your problem is that your acne has recurred, not that your face is drying out from your soap. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As a younger man, I suffered from acne. I think that acne goes through cycles. While it may seem that a soap that gave you good results is no longer working, it may simply be the case that you're at the top of an acne cycle. My advice is to ask a dermatologist about all this. We can all offer you suggestions on soaps that we love, but a doctor will be able to tell you more about what is going on with your skin and what can be done about it.

Whatever you decide, good luck in your soap quest.

My acne as recurred but it isn't bad enough to warrant going on meds (at least IMO). In the past I had taken some antibiotics (not accutane) and had mixed results nothing completely eliminating the problem. I have seem a definite improvement since I started to use all natural shave products. I now have the occasional pimple but nothing serious. My problem is that about the first week I was using the marseille soap my skin cleared up, only to get a few pimples after using it for awhile.

I am beginning to think that I may just need to alternate face washes. I am not sure if this makes sense but I think that my skin gets used to a certain soap/face wash and becomes immune to it. I was just curious as to weather people had success with Tea tree or the OSEA over other cleansers. I will be calling Naprodis tomorrow and ordering their facewash w/ added EO's and maybe a hydrosol just for fun. I haven't tried tea tree on my face and I think it might be just what I need, at least for now lol.
Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, I don't think that our skin becomes "immune" to products, per se. It's not like certain types of internally taken drugs that one can build a tolerance to. As Bob said, acne can be somewhat cyclical, and is, of course, effected by a number of other factors besides the skin products one is using. I'm not necessarily trying to dissuade you from trying other products, but it may be that no cleanser is going to fully eliminate the problem. Best of luck in your quest.
Regards,
Gordon
AZwildcat

Post by AZwildcat »

bernards66 wrote:Chris, I don't think that our skin becomes "immune" to products, per se. It's not like certain types of internally taken drugs that one can build a tolerance to. As Bob said, acne can be somewhat cyclical, and is, of course, effected by a number of other factors besides the skin products one is using. I'm not necessarily trying to dissuade you from trying other products, but it may be that no cleanser is going to fully eliminate the problem. Best of luck in your quest.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon,

You and Bob have both made some very good points. I guess when you have this problem you just hope that something will eliminate it. Of course there is always the chance that some of this might make that slight bit of difference that is necessary. As acne is somewhat unpredictable, who knows.

Chris
Chris
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Chris, It's getting cold up here in Vermont and in that environment people in general drink a bit less water. Down in Arizona as your name suggests it may be a bit easier to drink those recommended 8 glasses one always hears about. The wife went in for a mole checkup with the dermatologist in New York last week and while everything was fine she said he went on and on about water consumption and its benefits on the skin. Who knows but a good quality tea may produce clear skin as well.

Max
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Oh Lord, Looks like your up in Portland I see-even more rain than we get. Arizona sounds nice this time of year anyway.

Max
AZwildcat

Post by AZwildcat »

northadams wrote:Oh Lord, Looks like your up in Portland I see-even more rain than we get. Arizona sounds nice this time of year anyway.

Max
Max,

Yea unfortunately I just graduated from Arizona in May so I now I get to enjoy rainy Oregon. On the bright side Arizona just beat Oregon in football and I now have bragging rights at work. I like your tea suggestion and I always drink a lot of water. I am thinking about trying out some seaweed pills or eating more seaweed (sushi,etc) and see if that helps at all.
Chris
AZwildcat

Post by AZwildcat »

I ended up ordering from GentsLLC and getting the OSEA ocean cleanser (full size), OSEA ocean mudd (1 oz), OSEA essential corrective complex, and the Purple Emu AR creme. I will keep everyone updated.
Chris