Review: Simpson Chubby #1

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
xChris

Review: Simpson Chubby #1

Post by xChris »

First, let me say that this is a long post. However, I wanted to make sure that I expressed everything to give the person interested in this topic as much information as I could humbly provide. So, if you're up for it – here ya go!

So, I now have a Simpson's shaving brush in my collection. It is the Chubby #1 in Super. I conferred with a couple of our resident experts about brushes that I was considering. Based on their replies, I went ahead with getting the Chubby #1 first. Now, I did have to wait a bit for its arrival – everyone else seemed to be buying out Lee when I had finally decided to jump on the bandwagon. Lee's service was his standard affair, and I will definitely be contacting him when it comes time for another Simpson's.

I will say that I had mixed feelings upon first inspection of this brush. I thought, “I paid how much for this thing?” The box is typical for the brushes that I own; in this case, it's blue-gray cardboard with a white interior. The brush was wrapped neatly in tissue paper with the brand instructions tucked beside it. Notice the stamp “Made In England” in the bottom of the box too.

I also didn't use it right away for two reasons: I wanted to photograph it in its unused state first, and I wanted to make sure I covered the Simpson's label with clear coat. Unfortunately, when attempting to cover it with the lacquer, the label actually smeared (good thing I took the macro photo of it first!). I noticed that this brush has a loft shape closer to the light bulb than the fan; I enjoy both, so this is merely an observation rather than any statement. I then took my calipers, and documented the following measurements:

Overall = 90mm
Handle = 41mm
Loft = 49mm
Knot = 24mm

While it is a little shorter in stature than some of the other brushes out there, I find it to be just fine in my hands, if not ever so slightly narrow. However, I was able to maneuver the brush without discomfort or awkwardness. The shorter loft height was one of my reasons for selecting this brush. I wanted to explore the “hype” about Simpson's density and firmness/stiffness in their Super-grade hair, and I wanted a smaller knot for use with hard soaps. The Chubby #1 fit the bill. I have included a Savile Row SR-208 (Super, 25mm) and a Rooney Style #1 (Super, 26mm) as comparison.

The maiden shave with the Chubby #1 included TOBS Sandalwood soap and a Lutz of Solingen #75 SER in 6/8 width. Immediately upon lathering up the soap in the wooden bowl, I knew this was going to be different. The lather wasn't foaming up, or aerating, as usual. I transferred to a lathering bowl, but still wasn't getting a full lather – looked rather soupy at this point. So, I moved to lather building on my face. I could still feel a good amount of water inside the bristle, so I went slow so as to not fling too much around the sink area. Now I was getting somewhere! I took my time to make sure I worked the beard sufficiently. The feeling was not prickly, and not too scrubby either. However, there was no doubt as to the high density of the knot, and the resilience of the bristles themselves. As indicated at the start, this lather was very different. It was very creamy, virtually no bubbles, and glistening wet. The brush easily laid a thick opaque layer of lather onto my face with no hint of trying to hold onto it. This brush was really starting to impress me. I completed three passes, each beginning with this fine lather I managed to conjure. Finally, I gave a gentle squeeze of the bristle pack to bring up even more of this lather from within – surely I had enough for another 2-3 passes.

Lastly, I have included a couple of in-the-hand photos after drying it, and showing its bloom. It has not last a single hair since receiving it. I am looking forward to putting this brush to use on a wide range of soaps and creams that I have. It has certainly given Simpson a new level of consideration by me, and I look forward to the next Simpson's acquisition.

Chris
slcsteve

Post by slcsteve »

Excellent review Chris =D>
Steve

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europe vincendarum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ill agree. A great review. I love the clarity of the pictures, the before and after and the description of the lather and how it felt (the badger hair themselves). Also, nice collection of brushes pictured

Sam
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Chris, nicely done! Beautiful brush!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
jallen013

Post by jallen013 »

WOO HOO !!!!! my vote for review of the week !!!
jmhUT

Post by jmhUT »

Excellent review. I've been putting off taking the Simpsons plunge for some time now. Restraint just got a bit more difficult to maintain.
Cheers,
Jeff
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Very nice pictures and review. Glad to hear your Simpson hasn't shed.
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Good review. I think that you communicated the 'Simpson experiance' quite effectively. They do, indeed, whip up a little different type of hard soap lather then do many other brushes. And you ascertained why; their unusual degree of density, at least with certain models. The same is true also, of the Best Badger versions. As far as lathering up the top end English soaps, directly in those wooden bowls, the Chubby #1 Best I had on loan, remains the best brush I've ever used. My Polo #8 Best ( same sized 24mm knot, same loft, almost as dense ) is second. And some, like Chris M., not surprisingly, have found the Duke #3 to be similiarly good at this. At this specific task, even my #14 Plisson White is not quite as effective. The Chubby #1s also, IMO, make excellent travel brushes, being as compact as they are.
Regards,
Gordon
AZwildcat

Post by AZwildcat »

Very nice review. I have a Chubby 1 in Super and absolutely love it as well. I had the same problem with the label as you. The brush does produce a ton of very fine lather whether using soap or cream. I would have no problem recommending this brush to anyone.
Chris
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

AZwildcat wrote:Very nice review. I have a Chubby 1 in Super and absolutely love it as well. I had the same problem with the label as you. The brush does produce a ton of very fine lather whether using soap or cream. I would have no problem recommending this brush to anyone.
If you are using nail polish...tape off the gold label with masking tape. This will cover up the "stamping". You may have to cover up the tip of the gold label, but if you are coating the rest, there should be no issues.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Minoru68

Post by Minoru68 »

A very inspiring review. Thank you. Just what I needed to push me off the fence. Now I just have to wait for mine to show up. Thank you for such a complete review. It didn't completely convince the wife, but it did quiet the protests! :-# Thank you again.
derek
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Great review. I'm glad you're enjoying your brush.
AZwildcat

Post by AZwildcat »

rtaylor61 wrote:
AZwildcat wrote:Very nice review. I have a Chubby 1 in Super and absolutely love it as well. I had the same problem with the label as you. The brush does produce a ton of very fine lather whether using soap or cream. I would have no problem recommending this brush to anyone.
If you are using nail polish...tape off the gold label with masking tape. This will cover up the "stamping". You may have to cover up the tip of the gold label, but if you are coating the rest, there should be no issues.

Randy
That sounds like a lot of work for saving a label that seems like it is supposed to fall off anyways. I smeared mine but it hasn't effected the performance so I am not too worried about it. The next Simpsons I get I will just let the label fall off.

Chris
Last edited by AZwildcat on Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Chris, it's about a 2 minute job, and worth it to me.

Randy
xChris

Post by xChris »

Gentlemen--

Thank you for the kind words. Good to know that my experience is indeed the standard, and not an anomaly. :) I'm also glad that my review helped some of you justify your next acquisition. :wink: :twisted:

As for the label smearing, I think it happened to mine because I didn't have enough lacquer being applied; there was enough to wet the label, but the brush rubbed into it instead of gliding over it. I was hoping to avoid a thick glob of lacquer on the handle. Oh well, looks like I'll just have to try again, huh? :lol:
Chris
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Great review, magnifcent pictures; if i hadn't acquired the CH #1 super recently, i would have purchased one because of this excellent post.

This is very good advertisement for potential SBAD victims/candidates... :twisted:

Peter
Peter
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Trumpers, for some time (& maybe still do) used a picture of a Simpson Chubby little guy on their cover resting in a pot of rose.

Max
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Max, Yes, indeed they do. And I always thought it a most inviting picture too.
Regards,
Gordon
xChris

Post by xChris »

drP wrote:This is very good advertisement for potential SBAD victims/candidates... :twisted:

Peter
[cough]... uhh... yeah... That would be me. :oops: :lol:
Chris
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

drP wrote:Great review, magnifcent pictures; if i hadn't acquired the CH #1 super recently, i would have purchased one because of this excellent post.

This is very good advertisement for potential SBAD victims/candidates... :twisted:

Peter

Yep, the SCAD is rearing it's ugly head again, it's uncontrollable. :cry:
It's very, very tempting.............now, if I can find a good deal on one..........
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."