Opinions on Number Six Cologne

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Opinions on Number Six Cologne

Post by Brett G »

I just bought a bottle of Caswell-Massey's Number Six Cologne. Out of the bottle it has a citrus top note with some spiciness underneath. The citrus fades almost immediately upon application and it settles into a very dry scent that I can't put my finger on. A couple of reviewers on basenotes.com say it is vetiver but others disagree. I haven't sampled any vetiver frangraces so I can't say. Anyone here have an opinion?

(Edited Subject line so as not to confuse Bargepole) :D
Last edited by Brett G on Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brett
Bob

Post by Bob »

I think it varies from fellow to fellow, Brett. On me, the citrus note lasts a little longer. After that, the bergamot and rosemary are a little more pronounced. Perhaps it's the rosemary you're smelling. While I tend not to wear verbena or lime in the cold months, I still use Number Six because of those other notes. They keep it from smelling tropical, at least to my nose.

In any event, did you like it?
--Bob--
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Brett, The C-M No 6 is actually a fairly complex, blended scent, especially considering how old the basic formula likely is. The main notes I pick up are the orange, bergamont, and rosemary, but there are definately others. There's a little sandalwood in there, I think, and some subtle spicey notes. Suppossedly, there are almost 30 different scent oils in the blend. The core of this formula was brought to America from London, before the American Revolution, and shares a certain commonality with the original Imperial Leather scent that is still used for the well known Cusson's English bath soap.
Regards,
Gordon
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

Bob,
Honestly I'm not sure how I feel about it at this point. I don't love it, but I don't dislike it either. I do agree that, even though it has citrus notes it it, Number Six is a fine cool weather cologne. I'll probably wear it a couple of days this week and see if I can't pick up some of notes that you and Gordon pointed out.
Brett
Bob

Post by Bob »

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts at the end of the trial run, Brett. Be aware that, as a traditional cologne, Number Six does not have great persistence. It's better than some, but will probably peter out before the end of the day.
--Bob--
levente

Post by levente »

I find it lasts very well for a cologne of its type (i.e., citrus dominant), probably in part because it has a bit of musk in the basenotes. Hard to go wrong with this one.

Basil
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Thread title bothered me. Number Six are fags in England.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Bargepole wrote:Thread title bothered me. Number Six are fags in England.
Oh, and just to clear things up, "fags" are cigarettes in England.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

I've worn Number Six a couple more times and it is starting to grow on me. I do detect bergamot after dry down but not rosemary. At any rate, it is a subtle fragrance that doesn't seem to illicit many comments. My wife will almost always say something if I put on a different fragrance but she has remained silent on Number Six. That probably means she doesn't notice it which is not necessarily a bad thing (right Gordon?)
Brett
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Righto, Brett! Or she does vaguely notice it, but it doesn't grab her by the throat and shake her ( which, afterall is somewhat rude ).

Michael, We can't help it. Caswell-Massey No 6 was around before there WERE any cigarettes....even in the Near East.
Regards,
Gordon
BradtheImpaler

Re: Opinions on Number Six Cologne

Post by BradtheImpaler »

Brett G wrote:I just bought a bottle of Caswell-Massey's Number Six Cologne. Out of the bottle it has a citrus top note with some spiciness underneath. The citrus fades almost immediately upon application and it settles into a very dry scent that I can't put my finger on. A couple of reviewers on basenotes.com say it is vetiver but others disagree. I haven't sampled any vetiver frangraces so I can't say. Anyone here have an opinion?:D
To me it's a combo of citrus and musk (as Lavente noted). It used to be my absolute favorite, and I still love to smell it in the bottle, but after many years away from it I purchased it again awhile ago and I couldn't stand it on me. I don't know but it just smelled like rotten grapefruit :-B

This has happened to me (and to others I know) where the way we perceive certain scents just seems to change over time?
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

Brad,
Rotten grapefruit? Boy, I sure hope you didn't ruin Number Six for me. You know what they say about the power of suggestion.... :)
Brett
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hmm, I've never detected any rotten grapefruit in No. 6, but noses do vary!

By the way, gents who like the scent of Number Six, and like a balm that's denser than Harris' old aftershave milk, will probably enjoy the Number Six balm. It's very clean smelling, and the scent is not very persistent, so you can use it in conjunction with just about any cologne.
--Bob--
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bob, I agree, and their Lime balm ain't bad either.
Regards,
Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

The #6 Talc was at my local Marshalls for $5.99

Sam