Starting to form a theory about US Personnas.

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
JohnP
Hookahman

Starting to form a theory about US Personnas.

Post by JohnP »

As many here know, US Personnas are generally my favorite blade. However after a particularly rough shave this morning from the last one in the pack (the first several blades shaved wonderfully smooth) I think I know what accounts for the difference.
It is the blade dispenser they come in. The blades are open to the air, and indeed moisture, as soon as the plastic blister pack is opened to retrieve the magazine of blades. The first several blades work fine, usually, but as time progresses, all of the blades are still open to the air and moisture....and corrosion.
The first blades are always the best, the last couple, I've noticed, are seldom as good. I think mere exposure to the elements does this, as opposed to say, Merkurs, which are given some protection inside their waxed paper envolopes for each blade.
Still haven't thought of a solution, but have some ideas, some more practical than others.
I'm open to suggestions, of course, if any of you have solved this problem already.
John P.
Ben

Post by Ben »

A good container and one of these should do it.
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
finno

Post by finno »

Makes sense, particularly as the bathroom (where most blades are kept) is usually the most humid room in the house thanks to the shower.

As an experiment, you could try opening another dispenser but store it in a drier room and see if that makes any difference.
Scott
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

Ben wrote:A good container and one of these should do it.
Exactly what I was going to say. Grab one of those Rubbermaid containers and throw in some of those "Do not eat" packages that come in various products. LMK if you are having trouble finding some as I get them a lot in products that come to my store.
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

May have to try that. It's one of those things I'd never really thought about, but either solution makes sense to me.
John P.
levente

Post by levente »

John,

I can't verify your theory but can chime in to say that I have had the same experience with the Personnas, to the extent that I have disposed of the remaining two blades in the pack rather than shave with them.

Basil
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Nice theory although I think it probably applies to other blades as well. I have noticed the same thing with Feathers, Derbys and Wilkinsons. The first few blades are awesome and then that's it, and I keep searching for that perfect combination. No wonder I can't find it, the blades get rusted. :shock:

How about if we soak the blades in some baby oil and wipe them off, will it help make them smooth again?
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

I was going to try soaking a pack in WD40 :oops:
It's what I did to my straights when I first got started, and it didn't kill me (I always hit the blade with hot water first when shaving, anyway)
John P.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, I don't know as I can go with that one. The Gillette Swedes come in an open slide dispenser of that type also, and I've not noticed any deterioration from the first blade to the last. I've even had packs sitting around for some time, while I used other blades, and still no discernable problems.
Regards,
Gordon
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Gordon,
It doesn't always happen to me, either, but I'm starting to think it has something to do with moisture. This particular pack was in the bathroom, and I've had some thrown in a pocket of a duffle bag for going on trips that lasted a very long time. It has to be humidity or something. I think Scott and Ben are on to something to be honest. I should have known. I try to avoid keeping my straights in the bathroom for just that reason, why would I think DE blades would be different...
John P.
cigar-&-Shave

Post by cigar-&-Shave »

Stainless steel, platinum chrome-coated blades should not be corroding unless you’re air is very salty. Do you live on the beach?
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

San Diego is a coastal city;
I'm a little more inland in Spring Valley, but I can see the ocean from the bedroom window.
So yeah....
Not saying the blades are visibly corroded, but I know deterioration on a microscopic scale is enough to make a difference in a shave.
John P.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I thought I was the only one that found that the quality of new blades appear to detiorate over time. I started by never using the last blade in the dispenser - cos the last blade or two are consistently crummy in my experience. A container with a silica gel pack is certainly worth a try.

Thanks for the ideas, guys!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

John, like you I am a big fan of the Personna blades to the point that I use them exclusively and have noticed the same thing without ever giving it much thought. Until now I had chalked it up to my imagination but you have raised a valid point. The next time that I open up a blister pack I am going to leave the blade dispenser in another room and see if I notice any difference when I get down to the last two blades.

As I use each blade four times the last blade sits around in a damp environment for over a month before I get around to using it.

John V
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Maybe there's something about the loading process that isn't kind to the last two blades. Anyone willing to buy a pack, an use the last blades first??
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

That's possible also, but I kindof doubt it. I really think it is about exposure at this point. Still...if one were to try the last one first and waste the first 9 for the experiment, It might be telling. Unfortunately I think one would have to do so with several packs to see if it was repeatable....
Not something I want to do just yet....
These are my favorite blades, but while the dispenser is handy, it does leave all the remaining blades open to the air while one uses the first several. Next new pack I get I'm going to try keeping in another room, or get one of those silica packs....that is a good idea actually; I already have plenty of those gladware bowls.
John P.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, Don't know, there may be something to that 'salt air' thing, although Tampa is on the coast as well. Opened blade packs stay in my medicine chest in the bathroom. I've never had the experiance you describe, in all these years. In all fairness, however, I don't use the US Personna blades, so perhaps they are more sensitive to moisture then the ones I use. In addition to the Swedes, I've also had open style dispensers of that type, of Schick DE blades in the medicine chest for months as well, and no problem. So, beats me.
Regards,
Gordon
vespergo

Post by vespergo »

wow, i'm amazed you can tell the difference, it must be really humid where you live. i've never been able to tell the difference between them, of course i've never stored blades in the bathroom and have all my shaving gear outside... and i live in utah.
Josh
priegog

Post by priegog »

Well, now you've jump-started my paranoia... I got one of those pee-cups, and now I've put all my open blade packs in there...
Jerry