Is preshaving oil really needed to be applied before shaving

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Sgt_Strider

Is preshaving oil really needed to be applied before shaving

Post by Sgt_Strider »

I'm a newbie at shaving so I have a lot to learn. Is it really necessary to use preshaving oil before shaving? Can't I just use shaving cream and wait 30-45 seconds and then just shave?

How's this routine?

Clean my face with a facial cleaner
Apply shaving gel
shave
apply aftershave oil
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

No, it is not. I would say that it is worse than a waste of time in that it can gum up your brush and razor. I would suggest trying a little Trumper's Skin Food as a pre-shave instead.

-Scott
Last edited by kd7kip on Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Evening, Although there is not absolute agreement, the general consensus is that actual 'pre-shave oil' is, at best, useless, and at worst, actually detracts from the shave, whilst gumming up your razor and your skin. Personally, I'd skip the "facial cleanser" right prior to shaving, and substitute a good lathering shave cream for the gel. Welcome aboard, and stick around. You'll likely be surprised at all that you can learn here.
Regards,
Gordon
mikeD

Post by mikeD »

King Of Shaves Oil has worked best for me, its very light, actually like water and only a drop does the trick and the ingredients list is impressive. Dont use the slightly thicker oils.
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

bernards66 wrote:Evening, Although there is not absolute agreement, the general consensus is that actual 'pre-shave oil' is, at best, useless, and at worst, actually detracts from the shave, whilst gumming up your razor and your skin. Personally, I'd skip the "facial cleanser" right prior to shaving, and substitute a good lathering shave cream for the gel. Welcome aboard, and stick around. You'll likely be surprised at all that you can learn here.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon, is iy ok to use the cleanser only on the non-bearded area prior to shaving??
Vern

Post by Vern »

Do it Gordon's way for two months. By then you will have learned proper technique and should be getting consistantly good shaves. Then if you want to experiment have a go at it. I suspect you will find that just as the arrow doesn't make the Indian, the "products" don't make the shave. Gordon, or most anyone here who has been at this awhile can take any decent brush, soap or cream, razor and blade combination and get a pretty decent shave. Once you've learned to shave then the search begins for the right combination for your face and beard.

Vern
Sweeney Todd, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Whenever you use some extra thing, like the Skin Food or glycerine or shaving oil, as a pre-shave, do several shaves with and then several without so you can judge for yourself whether it helps. Also note YMMV: some say it helps, others say it doesn't. I don't use shave oils, but will occasionally use glycerine or Proraso pre-and-post-shave cream.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Personally, I find pre-shave oils to be worthless. I think Vern has given you some excellent advice. Concentrate on your technique for a few months, then if you want to experiment, go ahead and try a pre-shave oil.
--Bob--
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

I don't think pre-shave oil helps to soften the whiskers or make your shave any closer, but it can be useful in protecting dry skin from any chafing caused by the razor. Pre-shave oil is best used sparingly to avoid gumming up the razor as has been mentioned above. Personally, I like to use either some Nivea's face cream or a dab of Proraso Pre/post rather than pre-shave oil but you'll have to experiment to find out what's best for you. Welcome to SMF.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

There are a lot of products out there, pre and post shave, that were created by a marketing department rather than to fill any actual need.

Supprising how often someone comes up with a clever solution to a nonexistent problem.

Regards,
Squire
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

I'm going to have to disagree about pre-shave oils. I have used KOS Kinexium and am now using T&H pre-shave oil. I have a tough beard and find that it has a moisturising effect as well as making my Razor glide smoother. It doesn't gum up my Futur at all, probably because the settings on it are very wide compared to other Razors. I wouldn't shave without oil but thats my personal preference. As leisureguy suggested, try it with and without and make your own mind up. I would recommend KOS kinexium to start with, it really is good, thin and slippery with a very nice subtle smell.
Sfox7076
Keeper of the Coates

Post by Sfox7076 »

St George, I love the icon. It makes me long for my days on the Moors when I was at Exeter for a bit of Uni. Anyway...

OK, I have a tough beard and very light/sensitive skin. Pre-Shave oil helped when I was a mach 3/ Shick Quattro user. Now it is a hindrance as the shaving cream has enough lubrication for me with any of my DEs. I also think it depends on preparation. I would probably slap some preshave oil on if I didn't have time to shower before a shave. It would help give me the extra lubrication I would be missing from the water. As Michael pointed out, and as all of us say, Your Mileage May Vary, but my two cents is, while using the gel, stick with the preshave, but if you graduate to a real cream and brush, toss it to the back of the cabinet... I have a 1/2 to 1/3 AOS preshave oil container that hasn't seen the light of day in about 19 months...

Shawn
"A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, a great deal of it is absolutely fatal" - Oscar Wilde
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

Sfox, glad you liked it, got to plug the "old country" when you can :wink: . I suffer from dry skin and find that both creams and soaps dry very quickly on my skin, whatever mix of water/cream etc that I use. The oil helps me to overcome this. I think the guys that had problems with clogging razors must have been using castrol gtx! At the end of the day I guess it comes down to whatever works for you. For me its a winner, for others its about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. I can't use soaps - they have the same effect as dragging a rusty kitchen knife across my skin when used with a razor, creams and oil is my thing. If we all had the same skin this forum would be pretty boring I guess.
woofwie

Post by woofwie »

Throwing my hat in the ring as well - I'm not a fan of true "pre-shave oils" as I find them gummy and, at best they don't detract from the shave. However, I am a BIG fan of Pacific Shaving Oil, which really isn't a pre-shave oil, though most of us who use it as such, applying it pre-shave before a cream or soap. I especially like it around this time of year, when my skin is quite dry, as it provides some nice moisturizing benefits for my skin. Of course, YMMV, so I suggest trying stuff out. If you're curious by all means come to your own conclusions.

Welcome to the board.
Jeff (nickname is Wolf, hence the screen name)
-Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

Preshave oils are a waste of time.

Shaving oils can help, but not at first. If you use reduction, don't apply them until reduction is finished. They are counterproductive, because they make the whiskers slippery. You're trying to cut them, not slide over them.

On the other hand, when you're down to a fine stubble and ready to cut to skin, there's no hair to get slippery, and the oil makes the cut smooth and cushions the skin. So, if you want to benefit from shaving oil, apply it when you're down to a fine stubble, just before you cut to skin
Joe
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

I get a better shave with oil than without, I've never had any DE razor "slide" over my stubble. It prepares my skin and reduces dryness. Try with and without then make up your own mind.

Tony
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

StGeorge wrote:I get a better shave with oil than without, I've never had any DE razor "slide" over my stubble. It prepares my skin and reduces dryness. Try with and without then make up your own mind.

Tony
Have you ever tried applying it just before you cut to skin. If you're not yet cutting to skin, there's nothing to prepare.

If you're always cutting short stubble you may not notice the effec of the oil. But try it without the oil when you have a good stand (I think you'll notice a difference), and apply the oil just before you cut to skin.
Joe
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

I don't, as a rule, ever have more than one days growth to shave. I shaved without oil when starting with a DE and then tried it with oil. There was a marked difference. I allow the oil to soak into my skin and stubble while preparing my lather. Then brush up and shave. It works for me, my skin otherwise gets too dry. I think the quality of oil is very important, I have tried various brands when I used to use cartridges and there are some very poor oils out there. I sometimes electric shave for time, and all manufacturers recommend that you dry shave. I always use oil when electric shaving and get far superior results and no burning. I can get a pretty decent shave using a Remmington and KOS Kinexium. Its obviously a combination of my skin and beard type. It just works for me.
Tony

yoyology
Captain Yo

Post by yoyology »

What kind of oils are these shaving oils based on? Mineral? Olive? An assortment?

Also, has anyone tried both hair conditioner and oil as pre-shaves, and can compare/contrast? I use conditioner regularly, and have good results, but I'm curious about trying new things (aren't we all?) and if I can try baby oil or a shot of EVOO and see how it goes, I'm game.
Karl G. Siewert
Librarian and yo-yo enthusiast
Tulsa, OK

"Someday I'll find it, the BBS Connection, the razor, the stubble, and me."
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

Im currently using Trufitt and Hill ultimate comfort pre-shave oil. It has a nice citrus smell and soaks into the skin very quickly. It has a list of ingredients as long as my arm. I work on the principle that they have 200 years of experience so know what they are doing. I think their reputation speaks for itself. I like it and it helps give me a very close shave. KOS kinexium is a cheaper, slightly thicker alternative that is very good. The T&H bottle does suggest that it is for thicker beards, which is probably why it works for me. To coin a phrase "suck it and see".
Tony