need suggestion to purchase DE razor

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
tizianid

need suggestion to purchase DE razor

Post by tizianid »

i started reading this forum and other materials 15 days ago and i'm reading a lot. now i've got a Merkur classic long handle and i'm improving and having fun. (my skin is a bit delicate, but my main problem is ingrown hair; i hope this helps).

at times i find my Merkur a bit aggressive, so i would like to buy a vintage more gentle razor to use when i need to be quicker.
there are so many types out there that i'm a bit confused. can anyone guide me or link me the right topic?

- my first need is "very gentle" for when i'm in the "stupid mode"
- second, beautifully vintage and good quality-longlasting.
- third i'm a bit fascinated by the butterfly opening. and sooner or later i would like one.

i thought the Gillette super speed is a gentle one, but which one? there are many! os is it better adjustable?

thanks a lot.
Davide
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

If you are after a ss, but need a less aggressive razor, go with an early to mid 50's model. A Gillette Tech will also be good.

If you don't mind spending a bit of brass (about $20 US) you might want to consider a Gillette adjustable. Either a slim, black-handle or Fatboy oughta do the job quite nicely. I still rely on my adjustables more than my superspeed.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

I'm going to recommend the Gillette adjustables. They fit well in the hand and give a good shave.
Rocky_Marciano

Post by Rocky_Marciano »

A Superspeed is probably what you are looking for. And since you didnt post anything about blades, there might be a blade out there that is less milder or matches the razor better.
"Life aint about how hard you can hit its how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward"
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

The Gillette Tech was my first thought, a Super Speed second. And then I wondered if you've tried different blades. If you haven't, before moving to a new razor, try some different blades. A different blade will make an enormous difference in the shave.
tizianid

Post by tizianid »

you are all very kind!

about the blades, i used the original Mercur that was in the packet and i found it a bit agressive, specially on the chin. then some wilkinson sword made in england that the shop gave me for free. i found them less agressive. maybe less effective, but at the moment i'm not aiming to the baby butt skin. i'm still trying to get over some ingrown hairs left over from the mach 3 era. today i bought a packet of 5 Gillette platinum in the local shop here in Italy. are they the famous Swedish or European Gillette or something more basic? the packet looks basic! :-)
after this maybe i'll order the sample pack.

going back to the razor, my idea was to shave very "superficially" untill my skin recover and so I asked about the gentle razor. am i right?
p.s. i'm trying to follow the instructiones: hot wather, proraso cream, good a.f. etc.
thanks, Davide
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I think you are quite right to shave gently for a start; using your Merkur (which? An HD?) and the blades you have you can shave safely with the grain for a while until you feel confident, and your skin recovers enough, to go across or against the grain of your beard. Technique is MORE important than which razor you use.
Welcome to SMF - now we have one gentleman of Verona, and need just one more to keep the bard happy!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
rahul325
wEtShAvEr

Post by rahul325 »

wrath186 wrote:I'm going to recommend the Gillette adjustables. They fit well in the hand and give a good shave.
ditto.

get a fatboy :)
Wet shaving is an expensive addiction :twisted:

FS - 2 fatboys - E2 and F4, both in good condition. Pls PM me
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

rahul325 wrote:
wrath186 wrote:I'm going to recommend the Gillette adjustables. They fit well in the hand and give a good shave.
ditto.

get a fatboy :)
ditto to the ditto.

Get a FatBoy

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
crowdog

Post by crowdog »

Ditto cubed.

It is a very gentle razor and very easy to use.

Marty
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

I'll ditto the honorable Chris Moss! Stick with the Merkur. Be sure your blade is fresh, and since you say "at times" you find the Merkur is a bit aggressive, it sounds more like an angle or technique issue than razor issue. Stick with the basics of "less is more". One soap or cream, one razor. Go with your "with the grain" passes, and focus on NOT bending your wrist when shaving. Keep it straight, as though it is in a cast.

And keep us posted!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
jonctd

Post by jonctd »

I bought my Wife a Long Handle Merkur classic. Also known as the 23.
I was having a hard time using my Futur so I tried hers and have had great luck with it.
Jon
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

Like michael the first thing that comes to mind is a Gillette Tech, followed by the ever popular 47-53 superspeed though the other 50's style SS are not far behind if at all (id stay away from 60's or later superspeeds for now). A blue tip superspeed is also an option but mainly i think you'd be best served by a Tech, it's VERY difficult to cut yourself with.
personally id also stay away from an adjustable for now, settings change blade angle and just confuse and over complicate things to get going. good luck
tizianid

Post by tizianid »

thanks getlemen for wellcoming me with your attention!

i tryed my new gillette blades and i had fun. the shave is getting better and better, and my chin doesn't feel "peeled".
on my neck i'm still following the grain and not doing anything adventurous for a bit longer, but i'm getting excellent results on my mustaches where the skin is heltyer and stronger.
one of you asked me which Merkr i have. well, i think it's a long classic. i bought it in a shop and i don't have the real name. on classicshaving i saw two pictures that look identical to me: the normal one and the open comb. i have no idea about the difference and which one i've got.

i've got another stupid question. doing my prep i use a lot of hot wather on my face and then i put the proraso preshave, but it's cold! it cools down the hot skin! how do you do it? :oops:
anyway, the proraso set it's maybe too cold for the winter, i'll try to get some english nicely shented cream.

thanks,
Davide
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Proraso pre-shave is supposed to feel that way. :lol:

But you only need a tiny amount, like half a peanut for your whole face. Start with a very wet face. The pre-shave is supposed to soak into your skin.
John 5

Post by John 5 »

Pm il vostro indirizzo. Li trasmetterò che la a superspeed gratis.