newbie question

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
SRich10

newbie question

Post by SRich10 »

Hey guys how are you doing..I use to get shaved when i would get my hair cut at my barber shop but he left so i decided to start doing it myself..i have very sensitive skin and when i shave with a regular razor i am red and get bumps. With wetshaving will this help me with redness and bumps..I also get some pimples around my shaving area and I wanted to see if wetshaving would also help cut down on getting them. Thanks for the help!
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Hey there-

Welcome to SMF. I move your post to the 'U' so you can get proper attention.

I think you need to give us more background on your shave history. It's hard to give you advice when we don't know what type of gear you're using. Did you have these problems when your barber shaved your face?

Welcome,

J
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I would immediately start ending your shave with the hot water rinse, the cold water rinse, and then rubbing your freshly shaved face with an alum bar.
SRich10

Post by SRich10 »

my face was usually really good after getting a barber shave..i was hot shaving cream then a straight razor..right now im using and have been using for a long time just cetaphil cleansers as a shaving cream because its very mild on your face and the gilette sensor razor..i use to use the gilette turbo but i stopped. after im done i usually have some bumps and lots or redness..my grandfather gave me his old time safety razor and i got razors for it..i was going to get a brush made of pure badger and some Geo F. Trumper shaving cream..does that sound good...if anyone knows of a good after shave that is sensitive on the skin and wont make you break out that would be great...and other ideas would help alot too..thanks
prism

Post by prism »

Welcome to SMF. You can't go wrong with a badger brush and Trumper cream! As for the alum bloc, definitely get one! Dickinson's witch hazel or Gillette Afta should be friendly enough after shaves for your face.
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Welcome to SMF! Glad to have you aboard. Also, check out Leisureguy's Blog on shaving.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Chaps wrote:Welcome to SMF! Glad to have you aboard. Also, check out Leisureguy's Blog on shaving.

Danny
Welcome, welcome!

Ditto on Leisureguy's blog. Also check out the shaving videos at youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 2F52BA7608
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rob

Post by Rob »

I would recommend you do not use a cleanser before shaving. I always have the worst shaves of my life when my skin is totally oil-less and dry. Welcome to SMF. :)
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rob_TN wrote:I would recommend you do not use a cleanser before shaving. I always have the worst shaves of my life when my skin is totally oil-less and dry. Welcome to SMF. :)
That's another good point. Try using a non-soap based face wash like The Body Shop Foaming Seaweed Face Wash or Vitamin E Face Wash - in the shower before you shave. It won't strip your face of all essential oils like a scrub or normal soap would tend to do.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?