DE Blade Rotation

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
meltzer222

DE Blade Rotation

Post by meltzer222 »

The other morning when I changed out my DE blade, I came up with the idea that I would shave with only one side of the blade until it became uncomfortable to shave with. At that time, I'd use the other side of the blade until the same thing happened. At that point, the blade would be replaced. Seemed logical at the time.

Now I'm wondering if I'm a little odd, or if others do the same thing. Just curious.

-Dustin
xChris

Post by xChris »

Yeah, that's pretty much what I do. I still only get part of a week per blade though.
Chris
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Hey Dustin-

Personally I just shave with whatever side is clean, then rotate, rinse and shave again. DE blades are very inexpensive and it's more of a pain to pay attention to which side you're using. If you're only using one side my guess would be that, that side is only good for maybe 2 days. If you rotate side it's good for 3-5 days depending on your beard.

Like I said, too much work to pay attention to which side you're using.

J
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
yoyology
Captain Yo

Post by yoyology »

I'm in the habit of twirling the razor when I switch from one side of my face to the other. That way I feel I get fairly equal wear on both edges.
Karl G. Siewert
Librarian and yo-yo enthusiast
Tulsa, OK

"Someday I'll find it, the BBS Connection, the razor, the stubble, and me."
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Apparently, much of the deterioration of razor blades comes from rusting. While you're getting the unused side wet every day, you might as well just use it.
Rocky_Marciano

Post by Rocky_Marciano »

I was thinking about doing this with my gilette tech, as it is an open comb and on one side, the end tooth is broken off. But no on my superspeed I shave with one side then when its clogged I flip and shave with the other side until its clogged, then I rinse and repeat, this way the both wear down evenly. You might try taping over the blade you arent using, at least thats what im going to do. And a blade should last you at least a week, I mean if you can afford the luxury of always having a super sharp blade then go for it but, it really isnt necessary to change it so often unless its causing you irratation, i've found that towards the end of the week its not sharp enough to do ATG but sharp enough to do a couple wtg and xtg's, without causing irratation. Oh and I always wipe down my blade after using it as a lot of the sharpness is lost through oxidation.
"Life aint about how hard you can hit its how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward"
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Another main cause of blade wear and oxidation, is wiping it down. Just rinse it and put it away.
SteveL

Post by SteveL »

I flip mine every stroke and then rinse.
-Steve
Rocky_Marciano

Post by Rocky_Marciano »

notthesharpest wrote:Another main cause of blade wear and oxidation, is wiping it down. Just rinse it and put it away.
I really don't see how wiping it down with a cotton cloth (not against the edge) is going to wear it down at all, maybe at the molecular level, but certainly it would keep it dry so it doesn't oxidize? If you are that concerned I guess you could blow dry it but its not worth the effort, and its still slightly wet after drying. I suggested using like a painters tape to keep the other edge dry and not leave residue.
"Life aint about how hard you can hit its how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward"
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Sometimes I wipe a new blade with some baby oil to clean any oxidation and keep it from any further oxidation.
I'm not sure if this helps but it does seem to make a tiny difference in the shave comfort.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

I use the same side of the blade throughout and then throw the blade away. I shave NS on one side of the razor and SN with the other side the razor. I do not flip the blade over.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
Cavman

Post by Cavman »

you should not touch the edge with anything. The angles are so shallow anything can deflect them. On a extremely sharp knife you can spoil the edge fingering it let alone a razor blade. I throw my blades away if they are touched other than shaving.
John

Just smile & wave boys, just smile & wave. (Madagascar)
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Rocky_Marciano wrote:I really don't see how wiping it down with a cotton cloth (not against the edge) is going to wear it down at all, maybe at the molecular level, ...
The blades are not plain steel, but coated. You can wipe some of the coating off. Most blade manufacturers print warnings not to wipe the blades.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

One thing to remember. Once the blade gets wet, deterioration begins on the entire blade.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
bladerunner

Post by bladerunner »

I usually gently press the blade once on each side on a towel that's been stretched out on a flat surface. It dries the blade with absolutely no wiping or rubbing. Before I got into gourmet shaving, I'd keep a blade around 2 weeks. I think patting the blade dry helps a lot. Of course, now that I've been enlightened I change blades every week at least. 8)
Paul

"I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government." - Woody Allen

The Faxer
galpman

Post by galpman »

yoyology wrote:I'm in the habit of twirling the razor when I switch from one side of my face to the other. That way I feel I get fairly equal wear on both edges.
+1
--Jeff
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

galpman wrote:
yoyology wrote:I'm in the habit of twirling the razor when I switch from one side of my face to the other. That way I feel I get fairly equal wear on both edges.
+1
+2
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
John 5

Post by John 5 »

For me, using both sides is more efficient. Not only does it spare one of ‘keeping track’ of which side one if using, but much time is saved, as well. I perform a few strokes with one side, then rotate, a few stokes with the other side, then rinse. It cuts the number of rinses in half.

John
Rocky_Marciano

Post by Rocky_Marciano »

notthesharpest wrote:
Rocky_Marciano wrote:I really don't see how wiping it down with a cotton cloth (not against the edge) is going to wear it down at all, maybe at the molecular level, ...
The blades are not plain steel, but coated. You can wipe some of the coating off. Most blade manufacturers print warnings not to wipe the blades.
Thanks for the explanation, what if you were to just pat them dry?
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

jww wrote:
galpman wrote:
+1
+2
+2.5 (I only remember to do it half the time.)
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis