SOTD Jan. 15th - Jan. 21st

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

EJ razor
SMF II brush
SCS Shea Butter & Avocado Oil shave cream (This gem leaves my face moisturized. No balm needed)
Floris Special 127 EDT

Last edited by Austin on Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finski

Post by Finski »

40's Superspeed w/ Feather
Omega silvertip
C&E Sweet Almond Oil cream
Alum
Proraso ASB
Limes Skinfood
Armani Black Code

EDIT-
Last edited by Finski on Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Friday

'41 Ranger Tech
Derby Extra
Tweezerman Badger
Proraso Pre-Shave
Proraso Shaving Cream
Proraso A/S Balm
Pinaud

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
Goosemeplease

Post by Goosemeplease »

Jim
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Friday

Feather AC
Injector blade
Merkur Futur razor
Feather de blade
SMF III brush
Trumper's Rose shave soap
Thayers rose witch hazel
Proraso AS balm

Tried the Feather AC for the first time, just a little as it does seem a little tricky.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Bob

Post by Bob »

Friday:

Gillette "Fatboy" Adjustable / Gillette "Swede"
Caswell-Massey 1752 Sandalwood Shave Cream (no brush)

A hurried one-pass shave. Still, I love the lingering sandalwood scent that the C-M cream leaves behind.

I really must commend the photographers among us. You fellows really have a good eye for composition. Lyrt's photo today is particularly beautiful. What's the flower petal, Lyrt? It looks a bit like a plumeria to me, but I'm not a gardener.
--Bob--
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

Bob wrote:It looks a bit like a plumeria to me, but I'm not a gardener.
Thank you. It is a pansy's petal.
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Friday, running very late, no time to try new stuff or practice new techniques:
A sure bet, high-speed set up:
KMF Patchouli cream (squeeze a huge glob in the bowl and don't worry about it),
Gillette Tech HD (smooth as a DE, forgiving as a cartridge),
Tony's Choice ASB (in case of a speed-shaving error).

Damn good shave!

--Glenn
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Will, You must tell me where you get that unusual Skin Food and cologne. Every bottle and pot of Trumpers or T&H that I've ever seen has always been labelled 'WEST Indian Limes' ( chuckle ).
Friday:

Gillette HD Rocket & Swedish Gillette blade
Simpson Polo #8 Best
Trumpers Sandalwood hard shaving soap
D R Harris's Pink A/S
Floris No 89

Gordon
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Floris Santal EDT
TGR ASB
Kent T8
Richard
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

Richard, I think many people don’t realise it is you who launched the close, cropped, off-angle style of SOTD photographs. :lol:
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Lyrt wrote:Richard, I think many people don’t realise it is you who launched the close, cropped, off-angle style of SOTD photographs. :lol:
:D I used to post SOTD now and then a while back and it was just from a distance, boring, and looked like crap. I had all the same equipment I do now (except I upgraded my camera from an XT to XTi -- no big deal). One day, I just thought, what the heck, and got right in there and took this picture:

The rest is history, really. It is nice to see some really great shots out there! I'm having performance anxiety now and the competition is fierce! :lol: :lol:

I've learned a lot about photography and I'm still learning. They don't all work out (today's didn't but I was in a rush), but it's a lot of fun.
Richard
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Forgive me, Forum, for I am about to commit heresy.

This is the "Shave of the Day" forum, not "Who Has the Best Macro Lens of the Day." Super close-ups of fractional parts of shave gear have been thoroughly done now; thanks, loved it, does anyone here own a normal lens?

The "section of a cream tub and corner of a razor" photos were unusual several months ago, but now, not so much. There will always be a place for pr0n, of course, but lately it's the majority of the posts. Could we have more photos that actually show us what forum members are shaving with, please? Since most of us work 5 days a week, that might have to be done in 20 seconds with point-and-shoot cameras or camera phones. Now that would be interesting!

I'd like to see more "reality" photos, taken as soon as guys get done shaving. I want to see what your razor looks like, and if you splash lather on the counter-top like me.

Ban me now...

--Glenn
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Glenn, there are only so many ways to photo shave gear and it gets boring quick. I could just post a list and 95% of guys wouldn't even bother to read it.

I could just post something like this:

But it is dull and lifeless. Boring.

Cropped shots, close ups of gear that many guys never get to see. Seeing more detail and different perspectives, making something that is dull and boring more interesting.

I can't wait to see some of your contributions.

YMMV, etc.
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Richard, Actually, that photo's kind of interesting. The cap on that tube of Trumper's Limes looks different and smaller then on any tube I've seen. Is that an optical illusion, or is it different?
Regards,
Gordon
cigar-&-Shave

Post by cigar-&-Shave »

Yes Gordon, I also find Richard's picture interesting. Aside from the shaving cream cap, I'm curious about the exotic blue bottle.

Close up, wide angle, color, black & white... I enjoy them all.

However, YMMV, is about as worn out as it can posibly get! Did I really say that? :shock:

MMNV
(My mileage never varies)
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Richard, I really appreciate the consideration shown in your reply. Yes, the picture you posted was kinda boring, but I would ask, did you use Trumper's Limes AND Booster Lanolin? How did that work?!

I'm concerned that it sounds like you're saying, Don't anyone post any more lists because none of the cool kids read them (um, actually I do), and don't take "reality" photos because they're boring. In fact, I loved Bargepole's casual photo of his bathroom sink which I wish to goodness I could find right now with our Search function...

I hope I didn't come across too much as negating the macro photos. They are hot, there's certainly a place for them -- just as, for a totally random example, I would love to see Rocky Marciano take pictures with his camera-phone and show us his SotD's. There's plenty of room for that too!

--Glenn
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I loved Bargepole's casual photo of his bathroom sink
I rememeber that picture as if it was yesterday because I thought to myself: At least one other person on SMF doesn't have a spotless shiny bathroom....hahahahahahahaha.

I'm like Glenn and read all the SOTD's, picture or not, however, I enjoy ALL the pictures and will take anything you guys give.

You guys are awesome.

Clive
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

Yes Gordon, I also find Richard's picture interesting. Aside from the shaving cream cap, I'm curious about the exotic blue bottle.
Hmmm, hypothesis n°1: Richard broke the original cap and replaced it with a smaller one that worked as well.
Hypothesis n°2: It’s a limited edition he’ll sell for a fortune on eBay.

I think the blue bottle is from the B&B decant club.
2clfrwrds wrote:In fact, I loved Bargepole's casual photo of his bathroom sink which I wish to goodness I could find right now with our Search function...
Hmm, this one?

Tryphon

Post by Tryphon »

Omega pure badger brush
Tryphon Millefiori soap (three passes). Today I wanted a light floral scent.
Gillette SuperSpeed (1960) with Derby blade.
Ferragamo ASB - I love the scent. I will apply Ferragamo Cologne after showering.
Smooth and trouble-free shave!