new guy on board

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
freebird

new guy on board

Post by freebird »

Hi guys, Guess I'd better introduce myself. I've already made a few posts, here and there, but I know how it is when some new guy starts putting his .02 cents in and one starts wondering who in the heck is this guy anyway lol.

I'm Tony from Chouteau, Oklahoma, small town about 40 miles due East of Tulsa. I've been collecting shaving memorabilia for years, even used my DE's for awhile, but gave in and purchased a Mach3. I decided to make a change when I realized how much money was going in the waste basket everytime I threw out a blade. I couldn't find DE blades at the local Wal-Mart, so I'm having 2 old Straight's honed for use.

My hobbies include Ham Radio (I hold a General Class license); collecting smoking pipes (sometimes using them lol); and collecting walking canes (seeing as I have to use one now, it made perfect sense, I even dabble in making my own).

I'm a volunteer with Emergency Management, holding the position of Public Information Officer / Webmaster / storm spotter. I also volunteer with Navy - Marine Corp MARS (Military Affiliate Radio System).

I think that's about all the useless information I can think of, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I look forward to getting to know the guys on this board.
Tony
Shave Monkey

Post by Shave Monkey »

Hi Tony -

Welcome to the board.

- Joseph
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi Tony, welcome! Thanks for volunteering your time helping the military. Stick around a while. :)
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Welcome, Tony. I'm from Oklahoma myself, but way down south, near Ardmore. But I've not been back for years.

Sounds like you're well fixed for razors. :)
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

CQ Tony, CQ Tony.

Glad to see we have another Radio Amateur in the ranks. Good job with the MARS. Many people don't realize that "HAMS" do a great service with messages and phone calls to home with our Troops. Look for Scott's post under "Skin care" he's a Ham as well (KD7KIP). What's your callsign?

73, de

Bill
WX4D
Don't think......shave.
freebird

Post by freebird »

Trumperman wrote:CQ Tony, CQ Tony.

Glad to see we have another Radio Amateur in the ranks. Good job with the MARS. Many people don't realize that "HAMS" do a great service with messages and phone calls to home with our Troops. Look for Scott's post under "Skin care" he's a Ham as well (KD7KIP). What's your callsign?

73, de

Bill
WX4D

Thanks for the welcome guys, I'm glad to see Hams and Okies well represented! My call is KD5AFE. I got my notice of expiration (April 07), hard to believe it's been 10 years already!
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Hi and welcome Tony. :)
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Greetings Tony,

Welcome to SMF. This forum is a great place to get info, hang out, whatever. You already seem to fit right in. Maybe you can share some more pics of some of your more interesting collectables.

How much DE experience do you have?

What kind gear do you use?
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
LtMac

Post by LtMac »

Hello and welcome!

Don
In God We Trust; All Others Checked Through NCIC
freebird

Post by freebird »

It's been 4 or 5 years since I last shaved with a DE, but prior to that I used one for about 6 or 7 years. Unusual stuff,well besides the other gear I listed in the other thread, I've got a couple of traveling shaving kits, the fold up ones that has the mirror on the inside of the lid, and a milkglass soapholder and a brush. A few Valet Autostrops, a couple of old Rolls Razors. Never used those however. Do have quite an assortment of SE's and DE's as well.

My gear isn't too expensive, I have a couple of pure badger brushes that I use, and an old brush stand. The stand has an acrylic base. Right now I'm in the middle of making the switch over to straight razors. Until they come back from honing I'm using a Mach3. The two straights I'm having honed are a couple of oldies: a Dubl Duck Satinedge and a Geo. Wostenholm IXL that has horn scales.

Shaving soap is the new Burma shave mug soap (currently) and I have a supply of Mug brand soap. I used to buy soap made from buffalo grease but to me it didn't seem to lather as well. Aftershave lotions: I like Old Spice or Master's Bay Rum (I just picked a bottle of it up and fell in love lol).

Not sure how many on the board use hair tonic, but every now and again, I'll get the urge to smell like I walked out of a barbershop and will use Lucky Tiger hair tonic. I'm fortunate to have access to a barber supply shop in Tulsa, (wonder if Karl shops there as well?), that carries Lucky Tiger.
prism

Post by prism »

Hello Tony, welcome to SMF! Just curious, but are you referring to Tulsa Barber and Beauty Supply? Vic
freebird

Post by freebird »

It could very well be although the only sign I can remember seeing on the outside said Tulsa Barber Supply, and for the life of me can't find it listed anywhere on the net. I do know it's been there as long as I can remember. One of those neat old stores that you go into and it feels like you're stepping back into time, not like a Sally's Beauty supply lol.
prism

Post by prism »

freebird

Post by freebird »

nope, think it's a different place. The one I'm thinking about is near 11th & Utica, the address on TB&BS is listed as E 3rd St. Now I have another shop to check out :lol: