Taylor's Lemon & Lime

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
redking

Taylor's Lemon & Lime

Post by redking »

I did a search but didn't find anything exactly on point, so here goes...

About six weeks ago I bought some Taylor Lemon & Lime cream from Classic Shaving. It's the new formula, judging by the label. The consistency is good and the color is a very light yellow. The problem is that it has no scent that I could describe as citrus. It does have a very light scent, but I'm not sure I could describe it as anything other than just shaving cream.

Does anyone out there have any experience with the new formula Taylor's Lemon & Lime?
prism

Post by prism »

No experience with the Lemon & Lime Red, but I had the same reaction to the Lavender; no scent ( well, barely discernible.) The lather was another matter - superb! Nonetheless, I was disappointed with the lack of fragrance.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Red, I've not used any of the newer formula Taylors creams. However, even the older version of their Lemon & Lime had a scent that to me was only vaguely 'citrus'. Since, on the whole, the newer versions are said to have lighter scents, your description doesn't sound that surprising to me.
Regards,
Gordon
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

I have used both and never had any difficulty detecting a scent (I think we're all so used to modern products knocking us over, we're disappointed by the subtle).

The Lemon/Lime was, as Gordon mentioned, a sort of homogenized citrus and, as such, unremakable. The lavendar, on the other hand, was bothersome enough that I sold it off. Both a good latherers, though.

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

I don't know if this means anything, but I've been dissapointed in the past by the lime scented creams that I have tried. Maybe its just the way the scent is supposed to be.
woofwie

Post by woofwie »

Not to hijack the thread away from Taylors Lemon + Lime, has anyone tried eShave Citrus? I'm curious how it is similar or differs from Taylors.
Jeff (nickname is Wolf, hence the screen name)
-Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.
redking

Post by redking »

Prism & Gordon: Yes, disappointing is the right word. And I'm disappointed to hear that I've probably got a pefectly good pot of Taylor's Lemon & Lime. My other two pots of Taylor's new formula (Rose in particular and Eton College) have strong enough scents, though, so I really expected better from them.
wrath186 wrote:I don't know if this means anything, but I've been dissapointed in the past by the lime scented creams that I have tried. Maybe its just the way the scent is supposed to be.
Hmmmm, maybe. This is the first lemon/lime cream I haven't been exceedingly happy with though: both T&H's West Indian Limes and AOS Lemon are incredible with distinct, strong scents.
Not to hijack the thread away from Taylors Lemon + Lime, has anyone tried eShave Citrus? I'm curious how it is similar or differs from Taylors.
Beyond that, what are other good lemon/lime/citrus creams?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Red, My personal favourite is the Coate's Lime. Unfortunately, it's become hard to find at present. Hopefully, more will be forhcoming in future. The scent of the Castle Forbes Lime is very intense, but for me, the cream is somewhat hard to lather and it dries out my skin a little. And, it is very expensive. Still, some gents are nuts about it, and it is a very nicely scented product. If I can't get the Coate's, my back-up Lime cream is the classic Trumpers.
Regards,
Gordon
Sfox7076
Keeper of the Coates

Post by Sfox7076 »

I can still get Coates limes int eh tub, it is about $35 shipped...
"A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, a great deal of it is absolutely fatal" - Oscar Wilde
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

I will second Gordon. Having not used the Coates lime in about a year and coming back to it this am it really brought me back to that great Coates lather and, for the most part, straightforward scents. A nice clean limes cream. Got me thinking again about David Carter and how his repackaging is coming. I am really looking forward to it even if it does contain parabens. It's worth the risk!

Max
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

I used Taylors Lemon and Lime (new tub) for the first time today. Whilst the scent is very subtle I got a veritable explosion of lather which really impressed me. The best cream I have used to date.
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.
nickyspaghetti

Post by nickyspaghetti »

I bought this a few weeks ago, and whilst it shaves well, i cannot stand the smell. It reminds me of the cream cleaner that my mum uses to clean the bath/toilet/tiles Cif (formerly known as Jif).
Somehow the only thought going through my head when shaving is 'you are shaving with toilet cleaner'
So no, i don't use this cream particularly often
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

I really like the Taylor Lemon & Lime scent. Great lather, and unlike some citrus creams, it's not drying.

Another citrus cream worth trying is Arko Citrus. An orange-y scent, strong enough, but not too strong. Decent lather, too. tulumba.com has good prices and reasonable shipping.

Dave
Tryphon

Post by Tryphon »

If you are looking for a slightly different citrus scent, you may want to try our new Medici. It is a soap, not a cream, though. The scent is a blend of Mediterranean citrus essential oils, with Sicilian lemon, "limella" from Calabria, italian "Cedro" (i.e. Citron, a large lemon/lime-like fruit), bergamot and other citrus essential oils. We can send you a small free sample to try, if you wish.
JimT

Post by JimT »

Try using a bit more cream if you don't detect much scent....

JimT
The Riehle Axiom - "One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"