Thanks to SMF community and especially Rustyblade

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Burette

Thanks to SMF community and especially Rustyblade

Post by Burette »

Hello all,

Seems you converted another guy.

I was the kind of guy who did not like the shaving routine because it was torture to my face. Recently, a friend of mine who got a good quality brush but is still Mach IIIing told me about the greatness of shaving soap and brush.

I decided to give it a try and bought a Proraso soap and a cheap Wilkinson Sword brush. What a difference. No more torture.

Then I don't know wich search I was doing but I got on SMF and to my great surprise, learned that DE razor are not prehistoric and that most of the population is using cartrige razor because..... marketing and frankly that's all they know.

Well.... I kept browsing the site for few days and you got me. I just ordered this morning a Merkur HD, a Savile Row 204 and a lot of different soaps all from QED after chatting with RustyBlade wich I specially wish to thank.

I just can't wait to get my new gears and I'll keep you posted.

Honestly, I never expected there could be a shaving forum....

Again, thank you

Nicolas

=============

About QED.

Charles is quite a nice guy and althought a admit the Web Site is a mess, one should take time to browse and call him. He has great prices, lots of cosmetic product and a listening ear. Plus he carries great teas....

He should be recommended.
Last edited by Burette on Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Your welcome! :lol:
Richard
Rob

Post by Rob »

Welcome to SMF! You can't go wrong by listening to Richard. Don't forget to grab a LetterK blade sampler pack. http://www.letterk.net/blades/ I know you've got some soaps on the way, but be sure not to disregard shaving creams. There's some wonderful ones out there.
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

Hello and welcome. Don't forget to update your avatar when done!
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Welcome. I second the idea of getting the blade sampler packet. The HD is a great starting razor, but all it does is hold the blade at an appropriate gap and angle---it's the blade that does the work. Try several.

Just out of curiosity: did you get one of QED's shaving sticks? Great little things. Next week I'll be shaving using only shaving sticks. :)
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Nicolas---Welcome to SMF. Glad to have you aboard. You will love your SR-204 brush. I have one and use it regularly.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Re: Thanks to SMF community and especially Rustyblade

Post by texasPI »

Burette wrote:... after chatting with RustyBlade wich I specially wish to thank...
YWelcome Nicolas! Yeah, Richard is quite the enabler! Before long you may find yourself cursing him for hetting you "hooked". :lol: Just don't look at his SOTD or other photos and you should be fine! :lol: :lol:
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

texasPI wrote:
Burette wrote:... after chatting with RustyBlade wich I specially wish to thank...
YWelcome Nicolas! Yeah, Richard is quite the enabler! Before long you may find yourself cursing him for hetting you "hooked". :lol: Just don't look at his SOTD or other photos and you should be fine! :lol: :lol:
We should start a thread "What did you buy because of Richard?"

Personally: Mitchell’s Wool Fat and the Sticky.
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

Lyrt wrote:
texasPI wrote:

Great idea! I also have the Mitchell's. :lol:
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

My ears are burning. :lol:
Richard
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

texasPI wrote:
Lyrt wrote:
texasPI wrote: YWelcome Nicolas! Yeah, Richard is quite the enabler! Before long you may find yourself cursing him for hetting you "hooked". :lol: Just don't look at his SOTD or other photos and you should be fine! :lol: :lol:

Great idea! I also have the Mitchell's. :lol:
A camera!
(This discussion may need its own thread.)

--Glenn
Burette

Post by Burette »

Leisureguy wrote:Welcome. I second the idea of getting the blade sampler packet. The HD is a great starting razor, but all it does is hold the blade at an appropriate gap and angle---it's the blade that does the work. Try several.

Just out of curiosity: did you get one of QED's shaving sticks? Great little things. Next week I'll be shaving using only shaving sticks. :)
Don't worry all.... I ordered the blade sampler before I chose the razor.

I was first interested in the Muehle R89 because I saw a 2006 post from Richard and it was a more anonymous razor than a well known Merkur HD. I like to get anonymous items that may surprise you for their quality (ask me about my new Fisher&Paykel fridge :lol: )However, I was advised to stay with the Merkur HD.

As for the stick; yes I got the 2oz stick - Sandalwood plus some Taylor avocado because someone said in a thread he would choose this one among all others if his house were on fire.

And finally, because I read great comment from Charles on QED abour the MenFace moisturizer, I ordered one tube as well.

I'd stay it's a good start... :?: :?: :?:

My next step is going to a straight. It's more like a challenge.

Nicolas
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Lyrt wrote: We should start a thread "What did you buy because of Richard?"

Uhhh, don't start me on this one........... :wink: :lol: On the other hand, I'm sure Richard has bought stuff that I have mentioned. :wink: :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Nitrox wrote:
Lyrt wrote: We should start a thread "What did you buy because of Richard?"

Uhhh, don't start me on this one........... :wink: :lol: On the other hand, I'm sure Richard has bought stuff that I have mentioned. :wink: :lol:
ROONEY
Richard
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

Welcome Nicolas (I like that spelling). This is a good place to talk to chat with some truly knowledgeable gentlemen. OTOH, I have spent an ungodly sum on shave gear, sadly I can't blame any of it on Richard :lol: . I do, however visit the site I will buy woolfat from at least three times a week :shock: . It's gonna happen, why fight it?

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>
prism

Post by prism »

Hello Nicolas and welcome! I'd say you're off to a great start. When you are ready to take the plunge and go for a straight razor (my favorite), I strongly recommend getting in touch with Tony Miller at thewellshavedgentleman.com. You can read an interview with him in the Shopping category in this forum. Enjoy getting to know all your great stuff! Vic