For Feather Razor & Blade Buyers in the UK

This forum can be used by individuals who wish to post links or reviews about wet shaving merchandisers. It can also be used by businesses who wish to promote their goods or post special offers!
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

For Feather Razor & Blade Buyers in the UK

Post by Pauldog »

There are several of you in the UK who have bought the Feather blades or razor from me. If any of you are willing to pick up some razors for me, I'm willing to swap blades or razors for them at $2 per pack of blades or $5 for the Portable razor. And we both pay our own shipping costs, with some equalization if one person pays more than the other.

I mean razors like this:

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_detai ... mRefer=000
http://www.boots.com/shop/product_enlar ... &imageid=1

The last time I checked with Boots, they don't take orders from the USA. They now sell some of their things at Target stores here, but not razors.

This is assuming they're of reasonably good quality. This is partly to satisfy my curiosity and partly for resale.

If you know of similar (good quality) razors at other places, I'd be willing to trade for those, too.
murchmb

Post by murchmb »

There was a thread here or at B&B some time ago mentioning that Boots is coming to the US. I don't know where or what the time line is though. Just FYI.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Boots is selling some items through Target stores, but not razors. I don't know if they're going to expand their presence beyond that.
MattH

Post by MattH »

Hello...

Saw your name mentioned for Feathers.. over and B&B.. are you still looking for someone to pickup some UK stuff for you ?

I have sent a PM

Cheers

Matt
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

It looks like a few people in the UK are being helpful with this already. I'm now covered for the Boots items. Someone told me that the Boots DE razor has a plastic handle, and so is pretty lightweight, not solid like the small and affordable Feather Portable.

If you're in the UK, and you know of some especially interesting stuff elsewhere, please let me know.
andrewk

Post by andrewk »

I started with the Boots DE razor which does indeed have a plastic handle. My one has a pretty shabby tolerance - I don't know if it's the blades it comes with or the razor itself, but they sit at all kinds of angles in the head. The blades are certainly poor in comparison to the feathers you sent me. I can't compare them to anything else yet.

My advice is: It'll do at a push, but the feathers are as cheap and better made.

Would be interested to hear what you think of them, as my experience is very limited.
http://mindfulofchocolate.co.uk/ The perfect pass-time for your loved-one while you shave... :-)
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

Andrew, have you tried them in any other razor? I have used the Boots and Tesco's blades (They are exactly the same) in several razors and found them to very good. Granted they aren't as sharp as the feathers but they are very forgiving and give a very decent shave.I'd compare them to Israeli's in terms of shave quality. Try them in a better razor (if you haven't already), you may be surprised.

Tony
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.
Sfox7076
Keeper of the Coates

Post by Sfox7076 »

Can we confirm that the Boots and Tesco's are the same? I am getting some Tesco's from a mate in Surrey, but had her grab me the tto razor too... I feel bad for sending her to two places.

Shawn
"A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, a great deal of it is absolutely fatal" - Oscar Wilde
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

Sfox7076 wrote:Can we confirm that the Boots and Tesco's are the same? I am getting some Tesco's from a mate in Surrey, but had her grab me the tto razor too... I feel bad for sending her to two places.

Shawn
They absolutely are the same, even down to the packaging which is almost identical. The blades themselves are unmarked with any lettering and they both shave identical. The difference is that the Tesco's blades are cheaper by about 50p. They are both made in the Personna plant in the UK, I'll eat my shorts if they're not :wink:

Tony
Tony

Sfox7076
Keeper of the Coates

Post by Sfox7076 »

How much are they? I am envious, but right now, I cannot afford things in British Pounds because the exchange rate is way too high. I wish I had left more $ in the UK when I left... That 10 pounds won't get me far. As an example, it is cheaper for me to buy the Castle Forbes at Saks with tax than direct from Castle Forbes, even if you exclude the shipping... I hate a devalued dollar.

Shawn
"A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, a great deal of it is absolutely fatal" - Oscar Wilde
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

Sfox7076 wrote:How much are they? I am envious, but right now, I cannot afford things in British Pounds because the exchange rate is way too high. I wish I had left more $ in the UK when I left... That 10 pounds won't get me far. As an example, it is cheaper for me to buy the Castle Forbes at Saks with tax than direct from Castle Forbes, even if you exclude the shipping... I hate a devalued dollar.

Shawn
Tesco's £1.99 for 10 and Boots £2.49 for ten. It is quite often cheaper for me to get stuff abroad too. Even though the pound is strong against the dollar we pay over the odds here for most things as you probably know. I just ordered a tube of Musgo real for £7.50 all in, I'm sure you can probably get it cheaper in the US. My saving grace is the Gentleman's shop which is about 3.5 miles from here so I save on the cost of shipping but I spend more than I should because its so close. Having said that I'm not complaining!

Tony
Tony

andrewk

Post by andrewk »

Interesting: Boots and Tesco blades are most likely Personna ones, eh? Well, I shall give them another go now I've got a better razor.

In answer to your question, no, I didn't try them with another razor because I ran out of them just as my feather kit arrived.

And yes, I can see why you hate the weak dollar, nearly as much as I love it. Two sides of the same coin. StGeorge is right - a lot of shops charge prices that make US dollars and GB pounds almost equivalent, which is so wrong that stuff is cheaper from the States even when I add in the international shipping.
http://mindfulofchocolate.co.uk/ The perfect pass-time for your loved-one while you shave... :-)
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I just realized that I'm still looking for razors like this:

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_enlar ... &imageid=1

I'm pretty sure they're the equivalent of Gillette Atra and Trac II razors.

That was quick! Someone just wrote back to help out. But if you know of any other interesting razors, let me know...