Fidelity

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!

Fidelity?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 36

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Fidelity

Post by rustyblade »

Should I take a fidelity angle the next week and use the same products every day?

Mitchell's Wool Fat
Feather AC Japanese
Rooney Style 3 Small Finest
TGR Balm
Floris Santal EDT
Richard
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

No, “variety is the spice of”, etc.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I went with yes. I've heard tell of people doing what you suggest, so this way we can see if it's really possible.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

Well, if it is for a scientific purpose whose results you’ll share with us, I may change my mind, but not my vote.
Last edited by Lyrt on Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Lyrt wrote:Well, unless it is for a scientific purpose whose results you’ll share with us, I may change my mind, but not my vote.
Nope, I've just been really shave-bored this past week. At least this way I have some sort of excuse to be bored.
Richard
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

rustyblade wrote: Nope, I've just been really shave-bored this past week. At least this way I have some sort of excuse to be bored.
Then don't shave. :?
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Lyrt wrote:
rustyblade wrote: Nope, I've just been really shave-bored this past week. At least this way I have some sort of excuse to be bored.
Then don't shave. :?
Does not compute.

I've shaved every day for..... ... well, it has been a long time. Many years.
Richard
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

I voted yes, but I think you should then switch everything and go for another week with the new set up. Repeat this until you have used everything in your stash that has been neglected lately. :D
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

Had to vote "NO" on this one. It would be like eating the same dinner for a week to me. Bleah.
~Greg
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

As much as I would have liked to have said "No" - truth of the matter is that a certain combination of goods gives me the most consistent shaves - if I stray...I pay.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Richard, I'm quite sure that you know what my vote was...and why. Have a good week.
Regards,
Gordon
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

I'm not huge on fidelity (too many razors), but i agree, all of Gordons points on why it's a good idea are spot on... but for just a week :P even i could stick out a week :D
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Having been doing this the past few weeks, I obviously voted yes. It begs for appreciation. First, you learn a great appreciation for the items you using. And you gain an appreciation when you make the switch.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I voted no :lol:

Too many things to use all week. I can see using the same soap and razor, or the same razor and brush......but all five items? No way!!!

Clive
cigar-&-Shave

Post by cigar-&-Shave »

I refuse to vote... Yes? No?
Sometimes no means yes
But than, sometimes no means no
Of course, a non vote could also mean,
I don't care

Does bordom lead to polls?
I vote -- Yes!
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Well, it is looking like the fidelity shave this week then judging by the poll. Of course, I just shot myself in the foot because I have two new beautiful brushes to "break-in." I'll suffer it out and just use the brush I listed, the small Style 3 Finest. I'm actually looking forward to it. I had a marvelous Wool Fat shave last night.
Richard
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Richard, this was a tough question, but finally I voted no. Fidelity binges have helped me work out some issues with technique and products in the past. But if the issue is boredom, well, it will be interesting if denying yourself choices will help. Spiritual seekers sometimes take retreats; maybe this will be a sort of shave-retreat, and you'll return inspired.

--Glenn
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Glenn, three days running so far and my shaves are consistently some of the best I have ever had... Even though I am fairly experienced at this point, messing around with a few real straights and some lavender based soaps have been giving me a bit of grief.

Rotating products is a lot of fun and add variety. Rotating razors is probably the worst thing you can do for the quality of your shave. I don't think a rotation of top shelf creams or soaps would make that much different. Brushes may make more of a difference than at first glance. You can very easily make inconsistent lather leading to nicks or irritation using that newly rotated razor. Or you could just make safe lather by going dry and then just adding a few drops of water until you get the desired consistency. That's what usually do anyhow.
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Richard, In this whole 'fidelity' thing, the razor/blade is far and away the most important element to remain faithful to. This weekend, I used all things I'm familiar with and that work well for me, including that HD Rocket, BUT I switched off blades from my usual Swedish Gillette. And, that's all it took to alter the shaves, and not for the better. Switching off brushes is much less of an issue, but, you're right, it can, potentially, be a problem. I think mainly with creams. Different brushes hold different amounts of water, and losing track of which brush does what, can result in less then optimal lather. My T3 holds more water then any of my other brushes, and if I forget to compensate, cause I haven't used it in awhile, then I get a lather that is too light and foamy. Of course, hopefully, the more experianced shaver, if he sees that the lather isn't right, will correct it, or start over if he has too. Still, using the same brush, every day, is the easiest and quickest road to near perfect lather every time.
Regards,
Gordon
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

I'll have to say NO to this as I use a different soap/cream every day and a different razor (from a pool of 8 ) each week. When I change the blade I switch the razor. I own quite a few more razors but over time have narrowed to group of 2 adjustables(FatBoy and Slim Gillette), Aristocrat, SuperSpeed, Rocket, Tech, HD, and Slant. I do always use the same type of blade--Israeli No Name.
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am