Musgo Real - the (nearly) forgotten cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Musgo Real - the (nearly) forgotten cream

Post by drmoss_ca »

Some years back, at the dawn of SRP, the only creams ever mentioned were Proraso and Musgo Real. Even then, the vast majority of straight shavers used soap and weren't too interested in creams. The expansion of new shaving forums has in part been due to an interest in other products and the great variety of shaving creams is one of the never ending topics of discussion. Proraso still gets a lot of attention, though to be honest I don't like it much. I'd like to bring Musgo Real to the attention of those who haven't tried it. It is a very thick and heavy cream from Portugal, with the new mown hat scent of coumarin. Famously, it has a lot of lanolin in it, which is why Gordon can't use it. About three years ago the manufacturer tried to alter the formula, taking out the lanolin and for some reason adding boric acid, but this was not popular and the original formula returned. It is sold a a cream that can be used without a brush, but it is far better with one. Because of the heavy lanolin, it does dramatically better with some extra soap to break up the heavy cream - if you follow the instructions given on a tube of Palmolive red you will see what I mean. Just wash your face with soap, rinse, reapply soap to face, and then use the brush and Musgo Real on your face, dipping the brush in hot water as needed to adjust the water ratio. It's easy to make copious amounts of thick, shiny and creamy lather. It is very protective, even letting me use my wedge quite carelessly without ill effect. It seems to leave the skin moisturised rather than dry. I have not had problems with my brush clogging up with lanolin, and this might be because of the extra soap. It does seem to prefer a stiffer brush - the Chubby 2 Best goes perfectly.
So if any of you good folk have yet to try Musgo Real, don't hesitate!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Thanks for bringing this up Chris - While I love the scent - I've never been able to great super shaves with Musgo, plus I think I'm developing a sensitivity to lanolin - but in the name of shavegeekiness I want to try your soap tip and see how that goes!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Thanks for the review and the reminder, I think I will use my Musgo products this morning.
Richard
bikeguy1

Post by bikeguy1 »

Chris,

Actually, Musgo Real got me into wet shaving initially. We were in Lisbon (stayed here, great place http://www.pestana.com/hotels/en/hotels ... lace/Home/ ) over Christmas/New Year's '05-'06 for holiday and to watch the start of the Lisboa/Dakar rally ( http://www.dakar.com/2007/DAK/presentat ... hotos.html) . Went into a shop seeking Claus Porto soaps, and the owner told me about the Musgo Real line. I bought a tube of the shaving cream and started using it the next morning at the hotel. Although I had no brush (didn't own one yet!!), and was still using a Mach3, I was very impressed with what a quality product it was, and how good a shave I got. Bought another tube (for approx US$5) before heading home (along with more soaps, which even with the stronger Euro, amounted to about US$7/ vs the $14 when purchased here), started reading about wetshaving online, and here I am!

It's my go-to product, along with Taylor's Avocado, when my face needs a bit more pampering. And, to echo your experience, I've not detected any build-up of lanolin, although I switch creams/soaps almost daily, so only use the Musgo about 1x/week, and I clean my brushes regularly, about 1x/2 months.

Thanks for highlighting this product, and for all of your contributions to this forum, and to my learning how to use a straight, etc!

Warmly,
Bob
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Musgo has been a regular part of my soap/cream stable and at one time was all I used. Still feel that I could use just this cream all the time. I do wish it came in a larger tube. I get great shaves using this cream and that is my most important criteria. The other day I just picked up a couple more tubes.

:D
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

goolimari

Post by goolimari »

Beauty.com/Drugstore.com now has this cream for $10, and you get free shipping for orders over $25, if you are a new customer..buy this and maybe a coule of their excellent soap-on-a-roap (which is tallow based) and you should be all set!
-arvind

Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

Thanks Chris. I took out my tube of Musgo, it's been awhile since I used it. I lathered my brush on Bronnley English fern and then the Musgo in my mug. The I added two spritzes of Penhaligon's English Fern. The lather was thick and creamy. I had an extremely lushorious shave with great fragrance. I couldn't be more happy. I will be buying more Musgo this week.

thanks,
Rich

Do not give up before the miracle happens.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The scent is a little too strong for me, but it is one of the best creams, performance-wise.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Re: Musgo Real - the (nearly) forgotten cream

Post by notthesharpest »

drmoss_ca wrote:with the new mown hat scent
I have to try this... :D
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Chris - does your brush clog with lanolin if you use Mitchell's soap?

I haven't experienced that, but I have very soft water, which seems to prevent most such problems.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I've been using Mitchell's for a while now with no issues.
Richard
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Chris, I was given a tube of Musgo by a friend of mine in New York, and I was a little nervous to use it, because I once had some issues with it irritating and stinging my skin. Apparently, the formulation has changed, because this latest version not only smells delightful, but also lathers free and easy, and doesn't irritate, burn, or sting me in the least. I even find it has a trace of menthol in it. My friend said if I like this one, he'll keep me supplied with it on a regular basis for free, but I don't want to be a hog.

Jeff
srv1761

Post by srv1761 »

I absolutely aggree with Chris about Musgo....There are times when I forget about musgo with all the choices out there....One of my ultimate shaves has been with this gift from above.....I have had no probelms with it gumming up my brush.....Has anyone used the Mugso bath soap???

T-
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Good thread. Every so often some sensitive soul reminds us of Musgo, as it does tend to 'get lost in the shuffle', as it were. I agree; it's a good product, and actually, I can use it, at least occasionally, for some reason. I doubt I could use it ongoing, though, due to the lanolin. But, I can use it, whereas Proraso is completely out of court for me. Even though it's not one of the creams I use, I was saddened recently, to find out that the local ( and all ) C-M shops are no longer carrying it. It was one of the very few really quality shave products available in this benighted region. All that said though, I have to admit that I was never able to get as nice a lather with it as I can with the top shelf English creams. Some shavers actually even insist that it works better lathered up with one's hands rather then with a brush. I never tried that though, nor did I ever try your trick of using a little soap along with it. I can see where that might really be a help. I sold or gave the tube I had to a member here, but if I ever get any more, I will certainly give that a try. One thing that I really like about the Musgo is that it is still offered in a proper metal tube, dammit!
Regards,
Gordon
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

this was my first cream :!: before i ever found any forum i think i tossed a bunch of search terms into google, ie "best shaving cream available", "the best shaving cream ever" :lol: somewhere i found something that repeatedly mentioned musgo real, a new search for "musgo real" landed me at a vendor and then SRP, everything snow balled from there, but musgo does remain a favorite. I love the scent and I dont find it over bearing at all, reminds me of a nice spring morning.
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

I've had a tube of the MR for a little over a year and have used it maybe 3 times. Like has been mentioned here, it tends to get lost in my plethora of soaps. I love the scent though and have been trying to use it more and more. It's great stuff.

~Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Tye, do you find the Musgo cream cools slightly? I noticed it--it's quite pleasant.

Jeff
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

1st high end cream I got when I started, and got it from Barclaycrocker.com. May have to get another tube of it and also some Musgo soap. Gordon, think one can use a Finest Rooney with this cream?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, Personally, despite what some have written above, I wouldn't. But, it's up to you.
Regards,
Gordon
BradtheImpaler

Post by BradtheImpaler »

Musco is awesome. I just got another tube from a C/M retail shop and, thankfully, yes, they are back to the original formula.