Disposable razors??

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Carrington

Disposable razors??

Post by Carrington »

I have heard some people swear by disposable razors, and most turn up their noses at them.. So whats the deal with these things. If their any good those prices sure are tempting.
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

my opinion is that most are pretty similar to injectors and that the cost of injector blades must be nearly as cheap or perhaps cheaper then buying disposables and an injector wouldnt be as wasteful either. If you're set in using dispoables the ones mentioned the most often as being good are the Bic "metals". Also if you consider a DE as an option you'll be hard pressed to find a cheaper way to shave after the initial razor purchase.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Their handles don't feel as good as a permanent handle.
They waste a lot of plastic.
For those reasons, I personally wouldn't choose to use one every day.

But certainly they are cheap enough that you should buy a pack and try them. If you buy some and you end up liking them, it would be really helpful if you come back here and say so - other guys would like to find out about a good deal that shaves well.
Mottern Man

Post by Mottern Man »

To me I like the feel of a good heavy metal razor over a plastic lightweight.
Will - "Doc"
giraffejumper

Post by giraffejumper »

If you don't want to get into DE or injector or str8 shaving, you will be fine with a disposable.
As mentioned before - the bic metals do a great job.
If their any good those prices sure are tempting.
You will still save more money if you get a pack of ten double edge blades at walmart for a dollar and a half!
Let's say that each blade got you ONLY 3 shaves (you will get more!).
That is still over 30 shaves for a dollar fifty.
And if you use a disposable more than twice, you will usually pay for it on your face!
All you have to do is get a good dependable double edge razor and it can last a lifetime.
And be cheaper than most other options.
Until, of course, the aquisition disorders kick in and then you probably were better off spending a fortune on mach 3/disposable crap!
-phil
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

giraffejumper wrote:If you don't want to get into DE or injector or str8 shaving, you will be fine with a disposable.
As mentioned before - the bic metals do a great job.
If their any good those prices sure are tempting.
You will still save more money if you get a pack of ten double edge blades at walmart for a dollar and a half!
Let's say that each blade got you ONLY 3 shaves (you will get more!).
That is still over 30 shaves for a dollar fifty.
And if you use a disposable more than twice, you will usually pay for it on your face!
All you have to do is get a good dependable double edge razor and it can last a lifetime.
And be cheaper than most other options.
Until, of course, the aquisition disorders kick in and then you probably were better off spending a fortune on mach 3/disposable crap!
-phil
But, like you said Phil..."you will usually pay for it on your face".

Carrington, What razor are you currently using?
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Carrington

Post by Carrington »

A Gillette sensor
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

I know you inquired about the best DE razors in early Feb. Did you ever decide on one to try? Have you tried any DE razors at all? Or do you just prefer the Sensor. :shock:
Carrington wrote:Who makes the best double edge. Parker seems to be popular, but Im a bit biased to Gillette. Does used or new make a big difference?
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Carrington

Post by Carrington »

I do use a DE. Im sad to say it's mostly on the weekends. I feel for some reason I get a faster shave with the Sensor. If this is true or not, I do not know. I havent laid out a real test yet.
MaduroMan_wcp

Post by MaduroMan_wcp »

I shave twice a day, sometimes with one of my DEs, other times with one of my Gems. it takes me about 1/2 an hour to shave.

when I was shaving with a disposible, it would take me 5 minutes, start to finish. I would go 3 or 4 days betreen shaves because I hated it.

I spend about 80 times the amount of time shaving every week now than I used to, and I enjoy it about 1,000 times more.
Lil' Shaver

Post by Lil' Shaver »

I use a Bic Metal whenever I travel. I also use Palmolive brushless shaving cream (the green tube). I get a very good shave with this little combination.

But when Im at home, I use a Merkur HD with Israeli Personna blades and a badger brush.

Im suggesting that the plastic Bic Metal and the Merkur HD + IP seem to be comparible, on my face anyway.

If you must use a disposable, then the Bic Metal is a good option.

dwight
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

I'm going to have to go ahead and differ from popular opinion. If I had to chose a disposable razor it would be the Bic Twin Select. IMO Bic Metals don't cut worth a shite. The Twin Select is virutally identical except it doesn't have the metal bar (no great loss) and has two blades. They are also available in just about every drug and grocery store where Metals can be hard to come by. As long as you're not hung up on a single blade, they are a decent option. In fact, they were what I used for several years prior to getting into wet shaving.
Brett
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Brett, Well, if multi-blade set-ups work for you, then there are a number of viable options. For me, they don't; in any form, cheap or expensive, two blades or five. If I'm in a situation where I have to use a disposible, and the Bic Metals aren't available, then I'd just go with the Bics for Sensitive Skin or their Originals, which also work fine for me. I have to use one cutting blade, if I want a close shave on the one hand, and wish to avoid razor bumps on the other. YMMV ( which it obviously does...chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
jmhUT

Post by jmhUT »

Carrington,
If you like the Sensor try the Gillette disposable with the pivoting head (I can't remember what they are called). It has two blades but if you only use if for one or two shaves you shouldn't get any "lift & cut" ingrown issues. I've been using them daily for a month or so. Good little razor. The pivoting head compensates for sloppy technique so they are nice when time is short. They are available pretty much everywhere and are cheaper than the Sensor blades.
Cheers,
Jeff
spencergray

Post by spencergray »

I just think that it's really uncool to shave with a disposable razor.

Spencer
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Brett G wrote:IThe Twin Select is virutally identical except it doesn't have the metal bar (no great loss) and has two blades.
The Power Fusion is virtually identical as well, except it has five blades, a swivel head, rubber fins, a lubricating strip, and vibrates :D
Random

Post by Random »

It's just your...good vibraaatiiionns...just your...sweeeet sensaaations...
- Barret
jbc

Post by jbc »

Ok, here is my .02. I have used many different brands and types of disposables and will never use them ever again. My quibble is not with the handle, my qualms with them is with the blades themselves. I have found that disposables tend to have the worst possible blade they are harder on your face and tend to cut you much more frequently then either a cartridge or a double edge will. But that's just me everyone is different you should try one and see if you get better results than I did.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

I have read several times that cartridges are simply better made than disposables and you should at a minimum switch to a cartridge for regular use. Occasionally, most any razor will work, but will they work for your face day after day without problems? That is the question.
~ Tim ~

jmhUT

Post by jmhUT »

nodaktim wrote:I have read several times that cartridges are simply better made than disposables and you should at a minimum switch to a cartridge for regular use. Occasionally, most any razor will work, but will they work for your face day after day without problems? That is the question.
For me it's a "pick your poison" situation. Cartridges eliminate nicks but promote ingrown hairs. Disposables with one or even two blades tend to nick more but do not promote ingrown hairs as much. I cannot detect a material difference in blade quality between cartridges and disposables.
Cheers,
Jeff