Corn Huskers......

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
giraffejumper

Corn Huskers......

Post by giraffejumper »

For those of you who use Corn Huskers Lotion in place of the expensive Skin Food with the smell trade off, do you use it mostly as an aftershave or as a preshave?
Do you think it works better and/or just as good as the beloved Skin Food?
I picked some up today and am eager to try it.
Any suggestions will do a body good.
-philKnowledge! Pass it on!!!
Even more knowledge! Keep it alive!
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Hey Phil,

Haven't used Skin Food, but I have used the Corn Huskers for a while. For me, it works great as a preshave, but not nearly as well as an aftershave. Actually, I'm a little stumped for words to describe why (and I work with words for a living). Best way to describe it is that it leaves my skin irritated, unlike Nivea Sensitive, which soothes right away.

Hope I helped!
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Jack,

You should try Proraso Liquid Cream After Shave balm. It's about ~$13 USD at Target.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Random

Post by Random »

+1 for Proraso AS

Fan of the Nivea Sensitive too, but really like the Proraso.
- Barret
fritz

Post by fritz »

As an ASB, I often use a mix that is 2 ounces Corn Huskers, 2 ounces Aloe Vera gel, and 1 ounce Witch Hazel. This cuts the Corn Husker scent down quite a bit. I sometimes add a few drops of Essential Oil (spearmint, lime, and patchouli are all good, just not all at once)! This is the kind of thing that I use if the shave went really well, and I just want to re-moisturize from the soap. Now, for rougher days, the Proraso ASB and the Nivea Sensitive are called on! :wink:
Der Fritzer
"There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays, and every single one of them is right!" R. Kipling
My Working Stuff
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Hello Tim and all,

Yeah, I love the Proraso aftershave balm...but can never find it on the shelf of my local Target! So, unless I can convince SWMBO that a road trip into Tampa for aftershave is needed...well, you get the picture.
I do plan on hitting a local health food store for some Thayer's witch hazel this weekend, though...

All the best,
Jack

nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Along with the Proraso and Nivea products mentioned, the Musgo Real A/S Balsam is another excellent post shave product.
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

paperpundit wrote:Hello Tim and all,

Yeah, I love the Proraso aftershave balm...but can never find it on the shelf of my local Target! So, unless I can convince SWMBO that a road trip into Tampa for aftershave is needed...well, you get the picture.
I do plan on hitting a local health food store for some Thayer's witch hazel this weekend, though...

All the best,
Jack,

You can always order some Proraso Liquid Cream A/S balm online... :D
nteeman wrote:Along with the Proraso and Nivea products mentioned, the Musgo Real A/S Balsam is another excellent post shave product.
Neal,

I have read several members like the Musgo Real balm as well. I do plan on trying some in the near future.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

nodaktim wrote:
paperpundit wrote:Hello Tim and all,

All the best,
Jack,

You can always order some Proraso Liquid Cream A/S balm online... :D
nteeman wrote:Along with the Proraso and Nivea products mentioned, the Musgo Real A/S Balsam is another excellent post shave product.
Neal,

I have read several members like the Musgo Real balm as well. I do plan on trying some in the near future.
Tim,

Please note that the Musgo Real product is a Balsam not a Balm.

:wink:
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

giraffejumper

Post by giraffejumper »

Tim,

Please note that the Musgo Real product is a Balsam not a Balm.
I am confused, what is the difference?

Balsam:
1. any of various fragrant exudations from certain trees, esp. trees of the genus Commiphora, as balm-of-Gilead. Compare balm (def. 1).
2. the similar products yielded by the leguminous trees Myroxylon pereirae and M. balsamum, of South America. Compare Peru balsam, tolu.
3. oleoresin (def. 1).
4. any of certain transparent turpentines, as Canada balsam.
5. a plant or tree yielding a balsam.
6. balsam fir.
7. any of several plants belonging to the genus Impatiens, as I. balsamina, a common garden annual. Compare balsam family.
8. any aromatic ointment for ceremonial or medicinal use.
9. any agency that heals, soothes, or restores: the balsam of understanding and appreciation.

Balm:
1. any of various oily, fragrant, resinous substances, often of medicinal value, exuding from certain plants, esp. tropical trees of the genus Commiphora.
2. a plant or tree yielding such a substance.
3. any aromatic or fragrant ointment.
4. aromatic fragrance; sweet odor: the balm of orange blossoms.
5. any of various aromatic plants of the mint family, esp. those of the genus Melissa, as M. officinalis (lemon balm), having ovate lemon-scented leaves used as a seasoning.
6. anything that heals, soothes, or mitigates pain: the balm of friendship in troubled times.

Even more confused AFTER reading the definitions!
I am guessing it has something to do with the plant species?

Ok - yes - Nivea and Proraso are great aftershaves.
I use them both.
My question was concerning Corn Huskers.
Anyone have experience with Corn Huskers?
As good/better than Skin Food?
I used it today and I must agree that it stinks. (smells like stuff that used to be at my grandmothers' house)
And thanks to the guys who posted things to add to it to dilute the smell.
I will definitely try it.
Anyone else... better for pre or aftershave?
DEF

Post by DEF »

I use the very same 2:2:1 mix that Fritz described above. Works very well.

Doug
Doug
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

On Doug's recommendation I bought some Corn Huskers Lotion, and now I use it interchangeably with G.F. Trumper's Limes Skin Food. Actually, I keep the CHL in my man bag (along with my lunch, pens, and tape measure *grunt*) in case I forget to put on Skin Food in the morning.

Thanks again, Doug!

- Will
P.S I would buy Bag Balm, but I am afraid how she would giggle when I bring it up to the teen-age girl at the CVS counter. :7(
P.P.S. Mn man bag is really a Mountainsmith Blaze day pack. Not that there's anything wrong with man pags per se.
timc

Post by timc »

wenestvedt wrote: P.S I would buy Bag Balm, but I am afraid how she would giggle when I bring it up to the teen-age girl at the CVS counter. :7(
Can't you find it at some kind of farm supply store?
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
Lil' Shaver

Post by Lil' Shaver »

I also use Corn Huskers as a 2:2:1 mix, too. Works great and is cheap.

Just so you dont have to scroll back up and hunt for the recipe, here it is:

2 parts Corn Huskers lotion
2 parts Aloe Vera gel
1 part Witch Hazel (Dickenson's brand)

dwight
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Lil' Shaver wrote:I also use Corn Huskers as a 2:2:1 mix, too. Works great and is cheap.

Just so you dont have to scroll back up and hunt for the recipe, here it is:

2 parts Corn Huskers lotion
2 parts Aloe Vera gel
1 part Witch Hazel (Dickenson's brand)

dwight
Why not Thayer's WH instead? Just preference or other reason?
~ Tim ~

Lil' Shaver

Post by Lil' Shaver »

I use the Dickenson's, so that I can get rid of the two bottles I have left!

Im a Thayers fan, now! Lavender and Original are fabulous. They are worth the extra money, to me.

dwight
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Lil' Shaver wrote:I use the Dickenson's, so that I can get rid of the two bottles I have left!

Im a Thayers fan, now! Lavender and Original are fabulous. They are worth the extra money, to me.

dwight
Makes sense to me to use up what you have first. I have never tried the Dickenson's. I smelled it at the store I decided against it. I, later, was lucky enough to have a store locally that sold Thayer's. :D
~ Tim ~

Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

I found a combination that works well for me.

I mix a bottle of Nivea Sensitive ASB with a bottle of the Nivea Menthol for normal skin (that has a little alcohol and fragrance in it).

It gives you a slight tingle and fragrance that doesn't last long but quite enjoyable.

I've never used Corn Huskers, but have used and always have on hand Dickinson's WH. I also have two bottles of DR Thayers WH (Lemon and Lavendar).

It usually takes a long time for me to use a bottle of either.

And as always...

Enjoy your shave... :)
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

I, for one, have just those two items sitting on my dresser at just this moment...think I'll give it a try in the morning!

thanks
Jack

giraffejumper

Post by giraffejumper »

Thanks for the comments guys.
(Racso) Oscar...
Best Regards From the Deep South
"Qui Docet Discit, Ancora Imparo, "
I am also from the deep south. Like, inbred Alabama deep. We don't speak that pig latin like you dun got on yer signature! That better be some cajun speak or we're gettin the hounds out! We'll teach about sermons in STONIN! "Hold high converse with the mighty dead" - You ain't touchin my shoes! My converse are stayin on my feet, no matter what deed has been done.....

Ok. I actually had to look those up.
Always thought it would be fascinating to learn Latin.
But I have to know 2 languages living here in the south anyway: English and Alabamian!