I think I'm going back

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
bobbyseal

I think I'm going back

Post by bobbyseal »

For the past couple of months, I've been using either a Merkur HD or slant with israeli persona blades. In general I like the shave, but it takes so much longer than with the old Mach 3.

So, I decided to try the Mach 3 using the techniques I've learned with DE shaving. Beard reduction, no pressure, good cream and lather, etc.

In the end, I'm finding as close, possibly closer shave in a shorter period of time.

The main reason why I decided to change to DE shaving was due to irritation of my neck. I think the experience of DE shaving for 2 months really improved my technique. Now, going back to the Mach3 I can get a close shave in a short period of time. Plus, I'm not getting the irritation I used to get.

I used to shave like a guy with parkinsons. Constant back and forth, multiple strokes without relathering. Shaving against the grain to begin with, not at the end. I didn't use proper stretch technique.

But, now, I'm shaving with the proper technique and using good creams. Like I said, my shave is just as close as it was with the DE.

Sorry to be a DE cast out. I did like the shave, but I just didn't have the time in the AM.

Bobby
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Nothing wrong with that. You got something useful out of the experience anyway.
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

no biggie, one thing i will say is that with experience, the time it takes you to shave with a DE dramatically drops. It seems hard to believe but my shave would be no quicker if i used a cartridge, probably took me a year to get to that point. If you dont experience lots of tugging and are fine with the amount of shaves you can comfortably squeeze out of a cartridge then it certainly may be the best tool for you. we'll be here when you switch back :D
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Bobby,

No reason to give up the DE entirely. On days when you have the time you can always toss in the DE for variety.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
ead

Post by ead »

DE is so much better
Today even with making the lather and so on, still it going up faster then any Mach-3 or Fusion and so on
I think it is only a matter of time
Don't give up
jbc

Post by jbc »

I have learned to speed up my process in the morning by 200% since I started months ago. Certainly there is a learning curve which takes time to master. If you are patient I think that you can match your Mach 3 time with your double edge, I have even gotten to the point where my Super Speed is frankly Supper Speedy when compared to my Mach 3.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
rahul325
wEtShAvEr

Post by rahul325 »

If its only a time factor then i think the more u practice the faster u get. When i started off i used to take 30 mins for 2 passes, now from start(applying proraso pre-shave) to end(ASB after 2 passes) it takes me abt 10 mins.

and bets of all, no dang irritation and the pleasure of shaving :)

-R.
Wet shaving is an expensive addiction :twisted:

FS - 2 fatboys - E2 and F4, both in good condition. Pls PM me
royalcrown

Post by royalcrown »

If all else fails you might find an evening shave enjoyable as a treat every once in awhile. That's how all of my shaves are, however my facial hair grows slowly and I don't shave everyday =/
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bobby, Yeah, I have to agree with the above posts by James and others. I've never understood that business about how a M3 "saves time". The only way that I can see that happening is if, with the M3, you only do one pass, but with the DE you do two or three. But, you said in your post that you are using a "reduction" method now, so that means more then one pass. So, how/why is a M3 faster?.....unless, as James suggested, it's simply a matter of not being that familiar with the DE yet, and so, you have to go slower? I can't shave any faster with a mulit-blade cartridge then I can with a DE. In fact, the multi-blade is actually slightly more time consuming, because I have to slow the strokes down a little.
Regards,
Gordon
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Hi Bobby,

I say use whatever works best for you. I think DEs take a little more time, too...but I have all the time I want in the morning before work, so for me, it doesn't matter.

Here is an option for you. Some people here love injectors -- frankly, they are all too harsh for me. But perhaps they'll work better for you, since the angle is far closer to a disposable than a DE. And I'm sure more than a few members here might have a castoff injector they might part with...or send me a PM. I might be able to help you out, too, if you are interested.

All the best!
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Bobby---Ya gotta do what's comfortable for you, but like others have said, don't toss in the DE entirely. If time is the big issue, it will take less and less time as you get more comfortable shaving with it. When I first started, it took me 20 mins or so to shave. Now, I'm done in 10 mins or less. But, at least you did learn some great shaving techniques.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
4hits

Post by 4hits »

1/2 hour for me = brush teeth, fill Moss scuttle and sink with hot water, put brush and razor in sink, shower, dry, contacts, shave (the best part), Proraso Dopabarba, hair, dressed.

It's not a bad 1/2 hour spent.
Danl

Blood is a big expense - Virgil "The Turk" Sollazzo
Lil' Shaver

Post by Lil' Shaver »

HI Bobby. Thanks for taking the time to post here.

Are you using one pass with the M3 and three or perhaps four passes with a DE? Is that the "time" you are talking about? Or are you using multiple passes with a M3?

Just wondering....

dwight
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Bobby,

As you can see from the above posts, everyone is going to encourage you to give DE shaving a little longer. However, we will also encourage you to shave with the tools and products that work for you.

If you have really decided to give up DE shaving, place your razors on the Sell or Trade forum here. (Just in case anyone is wondering, I'm not interested. I have one each.) I think you will get a fair price and you won't have the hassles of trying to sell them on ebay.

Either way, Good Luck to you.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
bobbyseal

Post by bobbyseal »

Hey fellas,

Sorry it took so long to get back. Got married, honeymooned in Maui, came back and was on call all weekend long at the hospital. Ugh..

Anyway, I am going back to the Mach 3 because I have to get up at 4:30-5am every day. I can get 2-3 passes with the Mach 3 so much faster than I could with the DE. I did like the DE though. It was nice to shave with. But, I guess I just couldn't put in the investment to do 3 pass shaves everyday. I had to be very careful around my chin not to get nicks and around my neck.

I think at that time of the morning after being up all night taking call, a brainless shave with the Mach 3 is the best for me. Not that I'm on call every night, but life as a resident can be miserable at times.

But again, I love the badger brush and my selection of creams from taylor, t&h, crabtree and evelyn, etc.

Take care gents!
Bob
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Bobby, welcome to the Loser's Club, of which I am also a member. :wink:

I say that only half jokingly, since the pro-DE (and anti-cartridge) sentiment here is so strong, it can leave you feeling a little inadequate if you're susceptible either to criticism or rhetoric. (I'm not saying people's support for DEs is purely rhetorical in nature. I am saying that pro-DE statements can have the effect of rhetoric if one is swayed by them despite the contraindications of one's own experiences.) I support your decision and encourage you to hang tough with the courage of your convictions (rhetoric, indeed), provided that you are confident you gave the DE enough of a chance to make a truly educated decision about it. I personally have found the Sensor Excel, and the Trac II, give me very good shaves in less time, with less effort, and with more comfort, than DEs. No amount of pro-DE statements is going to change that. If the Mach3 works for you, that's what counts the most as far as your own shaves go. And it's your own face you have to please, not anybody here.

~ Nathan
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

bobbyseal wrote:...Got married, honeymooned in Maui, came back and was on call all weekend long at the hospital. Ugh..
WOW!!! :shock: CONGRATS!!!
bobbyseal wrote:...Anyway, I am going back to the Mach 3 because I have to get up at 4:30-5am every day. I can get 2-3 passes with the Mach 3 so much faster than I could with the DE. I did like the DE though. It was nice to shave with. But, I guess I just couldn't put in the investment to do 3 pass shaves everyday. I had to be very careful around my chin not to get nicks and around my neck.

I think at that time of the morning after being up all night taking call, a brainless shave with the Mach 3 is the best for me. Not that I'm on call every night, but life as a resident can be miserable at times...
As others have stated you could just use the DE on days where time is not as much of an issue, if you are so inclined. Otherwise, just use what you feel is best for you, be it the Mach3 or something else. Keep us updated on your wet shaving journey either way. Good luck and as Oscar always says "Enjoy your shave :D " That, after all is the important thing.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

Hello Bobby,

I do hope you continue to keep us updated. After all, we still accept posts from Nathan. :lol: . My story is similar to yours, except when I tried to go back to a cart, I still got irritation. I've been (re)doing the DE thing since December and only get irritation when I do something really stupid.

Congratulations on the recent marriage.

P.S. Have you ever tried shaving after work, after a shower? This has helped me get the basics down. Like you, I often need to be up and cogent around 5 am.

Nathan, when did you change your avatar? Were there no low rise jeans for this poor girl?

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>
jramire2

Post by jramire2 »

Before you truly go back to the M3, I'd highly encourage you to try the injector razors.

I'm getting close, if not closer shaves w/an injector as I have w/a DE but w/as little as one N-S pass and one xtg pass. And w/zero irritation and no pressure. I'm in the same boat w/you as far as little time in the morning, so an injector is a perfect combo of quality shaves in a short time. ....and the blades cost way less than an M3 cartridge.

hope you had fun in hawaii. The wife & I went there for our honeymoon in '05, then went back last year, and are heading out to Kauai at the end of the month. And NO we're not loaded, a vacation to HI can be cheap if you plan it right.

~Joshua
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

jrgroucho wrote:Nathan, when did you change your avatar? Were there no low rise jeans for this poor girl?
There were, but Sam decided they were inappropriate.

~ Nathan