How many times have I used that blade?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
actuary32174

How many times have I used that blade?

Post by actuary32174 »

I know that I can get about 3 shaves from an Israeli blade. I have a couple of different D/E razors that I am using. The problem is, I don't always remember how many times I have used a blade with a particular D/E. Does anyone have a nifty way of remembering? Short of replacing all the blades every Wednesday whether they need it or not or keeping a log (I could just see myself doing that), any suggestions?

Thanks
MaduroMan_wcp

Post by MaduroMan_wcp »

load only one razor at a time
Rich

out to master all razors

suport the American Legion and American Legion Riders
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

An actuary has to ask this kind of a question? Hmm.

How about an abacus?

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Actuary32174,

First WELCOME TO THE FORUM, come often and stay long. Second (PLEASE) go to your profile and establish a signature block so that our responses can be a little more personal.

How long have you been wet shaving and give us an idea of the tools of you trade. Razor, Brush, Soap/Cream etc. It's more of a curiosity thing and helps us determine how experienced you are and how to assist you.

To answer this question, I usually use one razor at the time and don't switch blades until I switch razors every 3-5 days. But I have a feel for when the blade needs to be changed as I shave with it which, if you are new to wet shaving, will come with experience.

And as always...

Enjoy your shave... :)
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

MaduroMan_wcp wrote:load only one razor at a time
Ditto on that. I only use one razor at a time. If I want to change razors, I usually change it when I change my blades, which is every Monday.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

I change my blades when they are dull.
Nuff said.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I'm with Tom!

Most especially in the case of the NOS English Wilkinsons, I won't throw out a blade until I know it is spent.

- Murray
Lil' Shaver

Post by Lil' Shaver »

GollyMrScience wrote:I change my blades when they are dull.
Nuff said.
And how many shaves is that, typically?
actuary32174

Post by actuary32174 »

I have been wet shaving now for only about 2-3 months. I have three razors that I rotate through: a Merkur Futura, a Merkur Slant Bar and an old adjustable from my college days (a long time ago). I use a Vulfix brush and the current soaps/creams I have been using are:
Trumper Limes - really like it
Nancyboy - excellent - best of the group
Tabac - good, but always have a problem getting a decent lather with
the hard water here in Florida (more likely bad technique on my
end)
Kiss My Face - lousy by itself, but, works well as an additive to Tabac
Proraso - great stuff - really like the way it cools down the face

I have tried Merkur blades in my Futura and didn't like them at all.
I have since tried both Israeli's in my double edge and adjustable and they work fine. I use Feathers in my slant. They work well, but, I have to be very careful otherwise I'll cut my throat.

Finally, when I start the process, I put an alum bar in the freezer and take it out went I am done. It is a great feeling at the end of the shave.

Lastly, I have been using Proraso aftershave, Nivea Balm or Corn Huskers Lotion at the very end. They all work pretty well. I just ordered the Nancyboy aftershave balm and should be receiving it tomorrow. We'll see how that works.
greenerock

Post by greenerock »

How about using a die.
Doug
jbc

Post by jbc »

I have a paper cup in the bathroom and five pennies next to the cup. After each shave I throw a penny into the cup. No more pennies, means change the blade. The best systems are the simplest.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

Lil' Shaver wrote:
GollyMrScience wrote:I change my blades when they are dull.
Nuff said.
And how many shaves is that, typically?
You have hit the nail on the head! A blade lasts longer or shorter depending on the conditions of my beard, my prep, the setting on an adjustable (so that would be the razor), perhaps the different soaps, and other variables. A Derby might last a week or not. A Feather will cut like a laser beam for the first couple of shaves and then settle into some really nice ones for several more or maybe not.
I refuse to tough my way through a lousy shave just because my counter says I should get two more shaves. Nor do I feel right tossing a blade that is working fine just because its manditory toss time came up on the counter. If I was counting I would establish the maximum number of shaves I expect and toss the blade on that date no matter if it is working great. Blades are cheap enough that I can do that. Keep in mind that I would reserve the right to toss a blade that I felt was not shaving well even if the expiry date had not been reached.
If you can't tell at the end of a shave that the blade is on its last legs and should be changed out then usually within the first two passes the next time you shave you will know. Sometimes you will find one blade edge is duller than another so flipping the razor and finishing a shave with the one sharp side might be possible - don't count on it. The single edge shavers don't have that option though.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

GollyMrScience wrote: If you can't tell at the end of a shave that the blade is on its last legs and should be changed out then usually within the first two passes the next time you shave you will know. Sometimes you will find one blade edge is duller than another so flipping the razor and finishing a shave with the one sharp side might be possible - don't count on it. The single edge shavers don't have that option though.
My experience seems to be that toward the end of blade life with Feather Pro Super I start getting ingrowns long before the blade feels uncomfortable during a shave.