Art of Shaving (AOS) Rose Absolute Shaving Cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Agreed.

This is a unique "rose" cream and different from any of the others in the market. I do like it so I am not "knocking" it in any way but it is not a "all natural cream fragranced by Rose Absolute and Rose EO." Also, it does shave very well so no complaints there. My only complaint is that it does use synthetic preservative. One thing, however, is that it is colorant free so at least you don't have that to contend with that as you do in the other Rose creams. Also, I like the pump dispenser.

I think this product will do very well.

Chris
Last edited by fisherc on Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry

Post by Barry »

fisherc wrote:
I think this product will do very well.

Chris
Glad to hear - I ordered a tub the other day.

Barry
dinder1

Post by dinder1 »

Chris, did you by any chance check out the tub version, or the after shave?
DJ.
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

I did chek out the tub and chose the pump due to the thinner consistency. Also, the "a/s" is really a body lotion though it can be used for the face as well. I tested it on my arm and it seemed okay but nothing special. based on ingredients alone there are other better a/s products in the market at much better prices IMO.

Chris
acoldspoon

Post by acoldspoon »

I tried the body lotion as well. I found that it was nice enough, but the scent was way too strong and lingered for a couple hours after just a small application. Didn't get it as it would have interferred with the Creeds I wear.
Cheers,
Peter J
acoldspoon

Post by acoldspoon »

Also, as far as scent goes, while there may be other scents at play they are doing one kick ass job. I personally have found this cream to be heads and shoulders above most others in both the rose scent and the quality of shave. It isn't just that I think this is a far better rose than the competition, or that it is colour free (which for me is huge), it is the actual shave. I think this is the first truely great American cream since Nancy Boy.
Cheers,
Peter J
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

acoldspoon wrote: I think this is the first truely great American cream since Nancy Boy.
I hope it is a significant step ahead of Nancy Boy. I know a lot of people like it, but for me, if that is the height of American made shave cream, we've got a long way to catch up.

-Mo
Alrighty, stickim up and hand over the Coates real nice and slow like....
acoldspoon

Post by acoldspoon »

MOSES wrote:
acoldspoon wrote: I think this is the first truely great American cream since Nancy Boy.
I hope it is a significant step ahead of Nancy Boy. I know a lot of people like it, but for me, if that is the height of American made shave cream, we've got a long way to catch up.

-Mo
In my opinion, it is.
Cheers,
Peter J
Barry

Post by Barry »

I used this today and found it to be okay. I love the scent.

The cream in the tub is goopy. I found that if I tilted the tub I ran the risk of it spilling out. It's almost like a runny, sticky paste. At least my tub is. After I lathered up everything was fine though. My one shave with it seemed to have a good balance between cushioning and slickness.

I should mention that I decided to give Mitchell's Woolfat a try and it arrived on the same day. The Mitchell's is amazing. I actually had a great semi-dry lather that worked quite well with my little disposable straight.

Barry
reggiano

Post by reggiano »

Can anybody compare this to Coate's Rose?
LostInCincy

Post by LostInCincy »

During a trip into the AOS store to pick up a puck of their Sandalwood soap, I couldn't resist popping open the tub of this to check it out. I have to say, it smells incredible. To my nose, its scent is better than any rose cream I've come into contact with. It's too bad the texture is the same as the men's having creams from AOS. I've never tried them, but they seem a bit lightweight. Fantastic smell, though.

-Dan
hedge_76

Post by hedge_76 »

I actually gave my wife a tub of this for Christmas. She's tried some of my creams/soaps, but is always afraid of smelling too "manly". (Mind you, one of the creams in question is TOBS Avacado, which to me is a neutral scent so far as gender is concerned.) I've also been getting "THE LOOK" when discussing getting a new brush, having just purchased a $100 one from AOS about 2 years ago. I thought this might be a nice way of getting her into it, and it seems to be working. She readily admits to it being a better, more luxurious experience than the goop-in-a-can she had been used to. I'm hoping after a month or so of using this, I'll get her to use my Kent soap every now and then, and then she'll see the need for a new brush! ;-)

- Frank
John 5

Post by John 5 »

reggiano wrote:Can anybody compare this to Coate's Rose?
They both shave well, but on quite different merits. Again, while good, there's nothing old school about the AOS Rose. It has a much more airy, whipped consistency. The Coates has a more subdued scent, too, 'classier' to my nose.

John
brothers

Re: Art of Shaving (AOS) Rose Absolute Shaving Cream

Post by brothers »

When this product was available I never bought it. Now - 2017 - it so happens someone discovered a few NOS tubs (emphasis on old) and are selling it on ebay. Isn't that the way it goes, first Coates, and now AOS Rose. Back from the dead. I got one, it came today. Smells great for its age. Seems a little dried out, what a surprise. :shock: I'm curious to lather it up and see what happens. Not expecting anything special . . . . should I be?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Used the Rose Absolute this morning. It smells great - the fragrance is the best rose shaving soap or cream I've experienced to date. It smells "pure" for lack of a better word. Not overpowering. The lather and slickness were up to par, according to my expectations and perceptions. I'm keeping it with my other AOS products - tallow Sandalwood soap, Sandalwood and Peppermint creams. Due to several years of waiting to be used for the first time, it has become rather firm, kind of like Castle Forbes, and that's going to work great. I will load the brush on the tub before making the lather on the face. Another positive observation, I think I paid about $10 less (it cost me $19) than it would have cost me to buy it at AOS ten years ago. That includes shipping.

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

Gary,
Thanks for the info, I'm always on the lookout for good rose products. I missed out on this one when came out, glad to hear able to try it out, maybe AOS may do this one again some day?
In the meantime I have a few tubes of Coate's Rose in my hoard that I use sometimes. :D
Rob
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have only a bit of rose left in an old Trumpers tube pre-reformulation. It's actually still fine, believe it or not. My favourite AOS cream is their Ocean Kelp which is a nice summer use product.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?