Bourbon, Scotch, Whiskey

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
drumana

Bourbon, Scotch, Whiskey

Post by drumana »

Thought I'd start a new thread...

What do you guys like?

I'm partial to Maker's Mark. That's the stuff. Also:
1. knob creek
2. woodford reserve
3. johnny walker - all of em are good. I actually like JW Red quite a bit.

I've recently finished my Maker's Mark, and my JW Red is low and will be done in a few weeks.

I'll be in the market for a new bottle and would like to try something new. Any recommendations? 8)
-Andrew-
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

Andrew,

For Bourbon, I really like Basil Hayden. If you like something very very smooth, it's a good choice.

For scotch, a lot more complicated. Two ones I like for reasonably priced are Balvenie 10 year (NOT the 12 - some like it, I don't nearly as much as the 10), which is very smooth and honeyed, Laphroaig 10 year, which is very very smokey, flavorful, almost briny. Opposite ends of the spectrum, but I love them both, and for a reasonably priced single malt, I'd say they are about as good as it gets.

-Mo
Alrighty, stickim up and hand over the Coates real nice and slow like....
drumana

Post by drumana »

Andrew,

For Bourbon, I really like Basil Hayden. If you like something very very smooth, it's a good choice.
Mo

Noted. I'm gonna try the Basil Hayden next. Thank you, sir
-Andrew-
Random

Post by Random »

I enjoy Jack Daniel's Single Barrel, and when someone feels like spoiling me, I love Johnny Walker Blue. That happens on very rare occassions however ;).
- Barret
PaulSiegel

Post by PaulSiegel »

1. Jim Beam Green label (haven't tried much bourbon)
2. Knob Creek
3. Single Malt: Lagavulin 16 yrs,
Blended: The Famous Grouse or Johnny Walker Black
"There is more refreshment and stimulation in a nap, even of the briefest, than in all the alcohol ever distilled."

-Ovid
timc

Post by timc »

Crown Royal or CC Classic.
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
stanmog

Post by stanmog »

I'll second Paul's vote for Lagavulin. Another single malt worth trying is The Macallan.

Stan
Onion

Post by Onion »

When I was drinkin it was Makers Mark and Knob Creek.... Don't do too much drinkin anymore... sigh..... I do miss it sometimes.
jslfl

Post by jslfl »

Onion wrote:When I was drinkin it was Makers Mark and Knob Creek.... Don't do too much drinkin anymore... sigh..... I do miss it sometimes.
I understand completely, age as well as medical factors have cause me to only celebrate occasionally. When I do, it's Rebel Yell Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.
Steve/Bronco

Post by JohnSmith »

I don't do much whiskey, scotch, and bourbon where I'm at, but when I do my dad and I enjoy a little Glenlivet.

Rum is the drink for me, but I've backed off on liquor all the way around. I've gotten myself into too much trouble with SWMBO.
"Getting ideas is like shaving: if you don't do it everyday, you're a bum." -Alex Kroll
Loki

Post by Loki »

My top shelf choice is Dalwhinnie scotch whisky.
My well drink is The Famous Grouse.

My whiskey choice is Jack Daniels Black. Nothing compares to the sweet taste in the water they use. Knob Creek is a close second. Evan Williams makes a great single barrell but it's $$

Clontarf Single malt Irish Whiskey has jumped very high on my list when I drink it neat.

however... drink what you like, like what you drink.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
sysiphus

Post by sysiphus »

Loki wrote:My top shelf choice is Dalwhinnie scotch whisky.
My well drink is The Famous Grouse.

My whiskey choice is Jack Daniels Black. Nothing compares to the sweet taste in the water they use. Knob Creek is a close second. Evan Williams makes a great single barrell but it's $$
Not too hip on the Scotch or Irish Whiskeys, but in truth I have only tried the blended ones, and neutral spirits are anything but neutral to my palate.

Jack Daniels is a fine Tennessee Whiskey, the touch of rye in it tends to give me heartburn. If the Evan Williams single barrel seems steep, a route you can take is George Dickel #12 (as Dickel sells a $$ single barrel as well)
Maker's Mark is a good sippin' Bourbon, and Mr. Beam makes a fine product for mixing.

If price and availability were no object, I would have shelves lined with Knob Creek, Booker's (125 proof--drink responsibly), and Baker's
David

Post by woofwie »

I'm by no means a serious whisky/bourbon drinker, but I favor Old Pogue; Bookers (over ice with some water of course, otherwise at 125 proof it is a kick in the ass); Buffalo Trace Sazerac Rye; and Dickel. Big NO from me for Suntory Yamazaki (though the Sherry Wood is ok) and Wild Scotsman. If I'm out experimenting, I usually find I love whatever Rye whisky is thrown my way.

If you live in NYC or San Fran, I HIGHLY recommend attending "Whiskyfest" put on by Malt Advocate. I recently attended the Chicago Whiskyfest for the first time, and enjoyed it thoroughly, though next time I need to pace myself!
Jeff (nickname is Wolf, hence the screen name)
-Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

For bourbons, try Elijah Craig 12 year or George Dickel #12, both available at BevMo.

For a light, sweet Irish whiskey, try Tullamore Dew.

My well scotch is Trader Joe's 16-year single malt, bottled for TJ's by McCallan. Fine stuff and only $29. For a treat, I enjoy The Balvenie Double Wood.

Dave
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm a great disappointment to my single-malted brother - I haven't tried anything to beat simple Jameson's Irish Whiskey. For smokey peat, it can't be beat!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
honkdonker

Post by honkdonker »

Try Irish ie Tyrconnell, Connemara Peated Malt, Midleton Rare, Black Bush or Greenore.

You won't be disappointed.
ems10fan

Post by ems10fan »

Elijah Craig - good sippin' whiskey, also makes a great Irish Coffee
Jim Beam black
Glenlivet
Bowmore (my favorite Scotch - neat is the only way to drink it)
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Chris,

I agree. Jameson is pretty wonderful stuff. That should have been on my recommended list as well.

Dave
reginald-van-gleason

Post by reginald-van-gleason »

For single malt Scotch, Scapa and Lagavulin are my personal favorites.