Jerry Falwell dead

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
sparkchaser

Jerry Falwell dead

Post by sparkchaser »

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/15/jerry. ... index.html
(CNN) -- Evangelist Jerry Falwell died Tuesday after he was found unresponsive in his office, an official at Liberty University told CNN.

Falwell, 73, was rushed to a Lynchburg, Virginia, hospital, where he was given CPR.

Falwell founded the Moral Majority in 1979 and is a nationally known voice for conservative Christian views.

In 1956, the 22-year-old minister started Thomas Road Baptist Church with just 35 members, according to his Web site. The church now has more than 24,000 members.

Shortly after starting the Lynchburg church, Falwell began broadcasting the "Old Time Gospel Hour" radio and television ministries.

He founded Liberty University in 1971.

Falwell has found himself at the center of several controversies, such as the one sparked by his comments two days after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in which he seemed to blame "abortionists," gays, lesbians, the ACLU and People for American Way for causing the attacks, saying they "helped this happen."

On September 14, 2001, he told CNN that he would "never blame any human being except the terrorists, and if I left that impression with gays or lesbians or anyone else, I apologize."

Falwell was hospitalized twice in early 2005 with acute onset pulmonary edema, or congestive heart failure, and at one point was placed on a ventilator.

He and his wife, Macel, have three children.

Lynchburg is going to be a madhouse with mourners pouring in from all over the world plus the inevitable media circus. I think I need to find an excuse to leave town for a few days.
-Rob in Lynchburg
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Rob, thanks for posting that. I got to hear Jerry Falwell preach in Bellevue church here and he brought Charles Billingsley (who my wife LOVES, and loves to look at). He may have been maligned for politics, but down from the pulpit, after the service, he seemed like a sweet man.

Sam
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

Well, I'd say he was horribly misguided, at least in my opinion, but I suppose he tried to do what he thought was right.

-Mo
Alrighty, stickim up and hand over the Coates real nice and slow like....
honkdonker

Post by honkdonker »

Everyone has their opinion on this fellow. I say let's let him rest in peace for the time being.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

honkdonker wrote:I say let's let him rest in peace for the time being.
That almost sounds like we might dig him up later and play with him - but no, surely not. Even razor fanatics aren't that weird.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Banihex

Post by Banihex »

Chris
That almost sounds like we might dig him up later and play with him - but no, surely not. Even razor fanatics aren't that weird.

Chris
Quite possibly the funniest thing I have ever read on this forum, timing was perfect, wasn't expecting a thing.

RIP Jerry

John
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Chris, that had me actually laughing out loud. Now my wife is convinced that wet shaving is some sort of mental illness...

Jerry, we would never see eye to eye on politics, or probably just about anything else. Still, you were one heck of a preacher, and I hope you are rewarded for your soul saving efforts in the great beyond.

All the best,
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
merkur07

Post by merkur07 »

My mother taught me, "If you can't say someting nice about somebody..."
Robert
--------------------
Razors: Cobra, Futur, '59 Fatboy,Gem G-bar,Slant
Blades: Feather ProGuard/Polsilver/Trig Silver Edge
Brush: Merkur Silver Tip
Shaving Creams: Proraso Red and 50+ others
slcsteve

Post by slcsteve »

merkur07 wrote:My mother taught me, "If you can't say someting nice about somebody..."
It's unfortunate that your Mother didn't pass that wisdom on to Falwell.
Steve

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europe vincendarum
sparkchaser

Post by sparkchaser »

I see that everyone's favorite nutjob Fred Phelps plans on protesting at Falwell's funeral: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,273313,00.html
-Rob in Lynchburg
TorzJohnson

Post by TorzJohnson »

sparkchaser wrote:I see that everyone's favorite nutjob Fred Phelps plans on protesting at Falwell's funeral: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,273313,00.html
Like most religious fanatics, Phelps and his crew believe they're the only ones holy enough to get into heaven. Frankly, I wouldn't be too crazy about spending eternity with a bunch of jerks like that.
Last month, the group released a music video entitled "God Hates the World." Sung to the tune of "We Are the World," the song changes the chorus to: "God hates the world and all her people, you, every one, face a fiery day for your proud sinning. It’s too late to change His mind, you lived out your vain lives, storing up God’s wrath for all eternity."
Jim

MOSES

Post by MOSES »

TorzJohnson wrote:Like most religious fanatics, Phelps and his crew believe they're the only ones holy enough to get into heaven. Frankly, I wouldn't be too crazy about spending eternity with a bunch of jerks like that.
Well, as Mark Twain said, all the interesting people are in hell.....

And I am going to violate Robert's mother's excellent rule here, and say that Phelps actions are not only an affront to my religion, which he claims to share, but downright despicable. Even in this case, I am no fan of Rev. Falwell, although for the opposite reasons, but protesting at ANYONE's funeral is about as low as it gets.

-Mo
Alrighty, stickim up and hand over the Coates real nice and slow like....
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

Mark Twain is also credited with a reply to the question of which place would he rather go - Heaven or Hell.
He answered "Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company".
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

I am no fan of Falwell, but his passing means that someone has lost a loved one. While you may not like him, you have to respect that fact. Let's just let this rest.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
merkur07

Post by merkur07 »

Assuming if they do get to heaven, Phelps or Falwell, won't it be interesting who they see up there?

I can only hope Falwell's mansion is next to Oscar Wilde's. :wink:

Otherwise, I was always tought, "if you can't say anything nice about someone, better not to say aything at all."
Robert
--------------------
Razors: Cobra, Futur, '59 Fatboy,Gem G-bar,Slant
Blades: Feather ProGuard/Polsilver/Trig Silver Edge
Brush: Merkur Silver Tip
Shaving Creams: Proraso Red and 50+ others
MercV12

Post by MercV12 »

A great Christian with the courage to speak truth, and a great American. He will be missed by many. He made a difference. In fact, if not for Jerry Falwell, Ronald Reagan could have lost, and America would have been a much different place.
Larry

The Ernest Borgnine of Slantological Shaving
slcsteve

Post by slcsteve »

I think that i'm going to be ill.
Steve

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europe vincendarum
Furrball2

Post by Furrball2 »

Slate.com had an interesting eulogy for Fallwell.
Pen: Namiki
Razor: Merkur (Vision 2000) now 38C
Blades: Feather
Brush: Muhle-Pimsel silvertip
SureFire Executive Defender
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Remember, gentlemen, that we have Posting Guidelines that will cause posts with inflammatory religious or political content to be deleted.

I too am biting my tongue, but it's for the good of the forum.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
HLSheppard
Coffee King

Post by HLSheppard »

I, too, am biting my tongue. Only because it's amazing how people's definitions of "tolerance" only seem to go one way...

I doubt very much that anyone who has commented here actually knew the man that most so evidently dislike/despise.
Howard L. Sheppard
howardsheppard(at)sbcglobal.net

"I wish I were less awkward around strangers. I never know what to say when someone asks me who I am and what in the world I'm doing in their house." -- Andy Ihnatko