Injector vs the double edge

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.

Which is better:

Poll ended at Mon May 28, 2007 9:28 am

An Injector razor
26%
or a double edge razor?
74%

Total votes: 50

jbc

Injector vs the double edge

Post by jbc »

What's your opinion how does the injector stack up to the double edge razor? For purposes of this poll the injector is a single edge razor not a double edge one.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

jbc, it's all a matter of personal preference. The injector is a mild razor that works well. The DE is also mild enough for new wetshavers. I use both and think they are comparable.
custom410

Post by custom410 »

I totally agree with Austin. They are pretty comparable in terms of end result. Everyone has their own preferences though.
Cheers,
Rob
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

One difference is that there sure are more choices about razors and blades with DE. For injector blades, the Schick line is discontinued, and stock choices are limited to Ted Pella and Personna (assuming you don't count the Feather blades that people snip down to size). For razors, there are some vintage choices, and the much-criticized National Campus knock-off, but not much else.

With DE, you've got a really amazing range of razors (including a vast range of vintage, the current Merkur line, Feather razor, Parkinson, Wilkinson, etc. etc.

If you like to try different combinations, the pickings are pretty slim with an injector by comparison.
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

I voted Injector. I get much better shaves with an Injector than a DE.

~Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I voted DE for basically one reason: you can easily get lots of good blades for it. The injectors are excellent designs, and great shavers, but the really nice blades for them are not made anymore; therefore it isn't clear what the future holds for them.
bald1

Post by bald1 »

The injector feels much better in my hand giving better control and closer shaves than a DE. Let's see, I'm 59 and have been shaving since around age 12 so that's what? 47 years? Yup.... I came to this conclusion decades ago and have stayed with the injector ever since not being seduced by the inferior multi-blade thingamajigs that came along :)

Razors: 1965 PAL adjustable injector; 1966 Schick M1 adjustable injector
Blades: AAFES American Safety Razor injector = Personna
Brushes: 2002 Shavemac Thuja wood 23mm Silvertip #22064; 2007 Rooney Style 2 Size 1 Faux Ivory 22mm Super; 1999 Shavecenter German 19mm Pure badger
(over the years many others retired or lost in moves)
Creams: Taylors Avacado & Shave Shop; Trumpers Coconut
Soaps: Mama Bear; Honeybear Spas; Surrey/Van Der Hagen
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

One of the main differences is the thicker blade on the injector. This makes it much more suitable for people prone to razor bumps, for one thing.
cutting_edge

Post by cutting_edge »

I use both DE and injector razors, have tried many of each type. I use the injector shaving more often, for a couple of reasons- easy, closer shaves (with DE I do need a second pass, with the injector I ususally don't), and it is less time consuming (get the same great results faster). I enjoy the DE, but honestly, I view the Schick injector as the best wet shaving system out there. I completely agree wiith Pauldog that the injector blade, while very sharp at the edge, is thicker overall, and that, combined with the way it is tucked in the razor's head, minimizes wobbling to practically nothing, which does help a lot to reduce irritation.

cutting_edge

Post by cutting_edge »

For those interested in a more comprehensive source for injector razors, I recently posted a large section in the shaveworld.org site, in their online encyclopedia, under "schick".
http://www.shaveworld.org

Also, the Alan Appleby's technical pages:
http://www.safetyrazors.net/schick/schicktech.htm
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

I voted for DE's only for this reason. I get few nicks with a DE. I get some nasty slices with the injectors. The two injectors I have seem to be more aggressive and they do seem to slice off any blemish or bump on my face. For instance, I used to have a small mole on my left cheek. Been there for years. The shave I get is very close, though.

I am not blaming the razor or the blades. I blame the user. The technique seems to be a bit different mostly the angle needed for a good shave. They are also far less forgiving than the DE's I use. By the end of the week, I seem to have my groove down and the shaves smooth out. Still, it is a good idea for me to keep the styptic pencil handy when using the injector.
Dave LeBlanc

Of a thousand shavers, two do not shave so much alike as not to be distinguished.
Samuel Johnson: Boswell's Life, Sept. 19, 1777
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

I voted DE but only because I seem to gravitate to my DE/Feather blade combo more than my Featherjector. However, every time I use the featherjector I get a beautiful easy shave and marvel that I don't use it more. Funny but I seem to favor the DE slightly. They both shave great though.

Clff
"Everything that can be invented, has been invented."
-Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.
yasuo200365

Post by yasuo200365 »

I like the shave from an Injector, it is IMO no better or worse than a DE. The design however relies on friction & springiness to keep the blade in position. This is less robust than the 'clamping' down that a DE employs.

The DE has it for me - it is more practical design and offers considerable variety in models.

Regards
John
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

I voted DE because I have yet to get a great shave from an injector. But I have not ruled out the injector. Since you can't buy a new injector, I'm not sure that I have tried a good one...yet...

Randy (with two injectors still to try!)
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

My injectors are by far the most 'foolproof' razor that I use. It may take a bit more blade buffing to get BBS compared to one of my DEs, but I've never gotten nicks from one. I have received the occasional nick from a DE, however. Nicks are almost unheard of when I use a str8, but my rotator cuff rehab is not far enough along for me to resume 'real shaving'. :wink:

Wayne
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
Slant-Fan

Post by Slant-Fan »

I used to like the old Schick injectors back in the early seventies but I haven't shaved with once since then. I don't take anything away from the single blade injectors but DE are fine for me. A lot of great old razors and fine new blades to chose from.

Jimmy
Regards,

jimmy
shaveC

Post by shaveC »

bald1 wrote:The injector feels much better in my hand giving better control and closer shaves than a DE. Let's see, I'm 59 and have been shaving since around age 12 so that's what? 47 years? Yup.... I came to this conclusion decades ago and have stayed with the injector ever since not being seduced by the inferior multi-blade thingamajigs that came along :)

Razors: 1965 PAL adjustable injector; 1966 Schick M1 adjustable injector
Blades: AAFES American Safety Razor injector = Personna
Brushes: 2002 Shavemac Thuja wood 23mm Silvertip #22064; 2007 Rooney Style 2 Size 1 Faux Ivory 22mm Super; 1999 Shavecenter German 19mm Pure badger
(over the years many others retired or lost in moves)
Creams: Taylors Avacado & Shave Shop; Trumpers Coconut
Soaps: Mama Bear; Honeybear Spas; Surrey/Van Der Hagen
Bob, the 4th razor from the left, what model is that? The handle seems interesting.
-Ricky
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

Ricky, I was wondering the same thing. :lol:
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

The 4th razor from the left was a Schick special edition (pewter?) pseudo-collectible with the handle made by International Silver. The handle looks like it belongs on a set of dinnerware. I have the same handle on a Trac II type razor also made by Schick.
acoldspoon

Post by acoldspoon »

Pauldog wrote:The 4th razor from the left was a Schick special edition (pewter?) pseudo-collectible with the handle made by International Silver. The handle looks like it belongs on a set of dinnerware. I have the same handle on a Trac II type razor also made by Schick.
Right you are, it is a pewter handled razor from International Silver. I have one as well. It feels very nice in the hand.
Cheers,
Peter J