Should I get 2 Taylor's or 1 Truefitt & Hill?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
TorzJohnson

Should I get 2 Taylor's or 1 Truefitt & Hill?

Post by TorzJohnson »

The kids will be wanting a suggestion from me as to what they should get me for Father's Day. Their budget is approx $30.

I find that two tubs of Taylor's plus shipping is in the same price range as one tub of T&H plus shipping; that is to say, almost exactly the right price for the gift.

I have a tub of Mr. Taylor's which I like very much, no issues with new vs old Taylor's for me. I don't have any T&H creams, nor have I tried any samples of them.

I have read on these forums that T&H 1805 is a very good cream. My choice would then be between one T&H 1805 or a tub each of Taylor's St. James and Shave Shop.

It would be great to get two creams instead of one, but it would also be great to get one really great cream and save a little space in the bathroom cabinet.

What would you recommend?
Jim

ead

Post by ead »

I will take the Taylor any day given :twisted:
norm

Post by norm »

I have two tubs of T&H that I love, but I would still say go for the Taylors... I really don't see a quality difference between the two (other than the slightly nicer T&H tubs).
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Double your pleasure. As big a T&H fan as I am, who could fault you for wanting to get a couple of tubs? Enjoy your 2 new tubs of TOBS.
Mike
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

I received yesterday 3 Taylor of Old Bond Street creams from The Gentleman's Shop. (Rose, Mr Taylors and The St James Collection) I think that The St James Collection is still very good cream.
Quidquid discis, tibi discis.
jramire2

Post by jramire2 »

If possible, get a sample of the 1805 from Nordstroms. You're already familiar w/Taylors, and the sample would let you determine for yourself whether the one tub would be better than 2.

Outside of T&H Ultimate Comfort, 1805 is the only scent I like from the T&H line. But that's out of the other cologne scented creams they make, haven't had the chance to try the sandalwood or lime.

But, other than the great 1805 scent and the skincare from UC (which I'm not sure occurs w/the rest of the line) TOBS is the better choice IMO.

I've got every Taylors cream except for Rose and Mr. Taylor, and I haven't been disappointed in scent or performance yet.

~Joshua
prism

Post by prism »

Go for the two tubs of Taylor's! The wife can get you the T&H!! :D Vic
Zaniix

Post by Zaniix »

I actually feel that Taylors lathers better than T&H, but that is just me.
Chris
brderj

Post by brderj »

Everyones face reacts differently to creams. With that said, I hate the 1805! Please no yelling, just my humble opinion. :D

I have two Taylors here, shave shop and Lavender. I like them both. My friend has Trafalger and it smells amazing!! But that shave I had with 1805 has me running scared from T&H. It was really bad. :x

I love Taylors, and given the option of two Taylors as apposed to any one other cream, I personally choose Taylors. Unless of course I have all the Taylors on hand, which I may by the end of the month..... :D

IMHO of course, :D
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Gen. Patton
water

Post by water »

I prefer T&H creams over Taylor's. Taylor's does not work well with my skin at all.

That being said, I feel T&H 1805 is vile. I have tried two samples of it and both times, as I have said before, I was left with a headache. That cream has more fragrance than any other I have ever encountered.

If Taylor's works well for you, I would say pruchasing two of their creams is a better option than one T&H. Unless that T&H is Sandalwood or Rose. :)

Post by TorzJohnson »

Thanks for the replies so far. You guys are making this easy for me. I'm really starting to lean towards the 2 TOBS.
Jim

Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

I would go with 2 Taylors. That being said I could think of a few reasons to also get 1 T&H. If your daughters wanted to establish a "signature" fragrance that will be a special bond then that would win out. Of course that could also be something Taylor's offers as well.

Both are top notch products so you can't loose with either decision. :wink:
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Sell your children and buy all three. Otherwise we won't believe you are really committed to the great shave.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brderj

Post by brderj »

drmoss_ca wrote:Sell your children and buy all three. Otherwise we won't believe you are really committed to the great shave.

Chris
LMAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah!! Show your dedication to the "cause!"
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Gen. Patton
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

My wife gave me a tub of the 1805 along w/ a bottle of the cologne for our anniversary last week (she went to the T&H shop while in Vegas earlier this month). I've used the 1805 cream 4 times since and like it very much. That said, I also own TOBS Avocado, Mr. Taylor, and Sandalwood. I'd go w/ 2 tubs of Taylor's just for the variety.
Scott
sysiphus

Post by sysiphus »

Sounds like it's time to up the allowance. :wink:
David

Post by Scorpio »

Get all three!!!!!

problem solved!!!

Raf
"A well lathered face is only half of a good shave"
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Evening. The key is where you say, "...and like it very much...". Since that's true, and since you never tried their older version, it would seem obvious that getting the two pots of the Taylors would be more pragmatically sound ( harumph ! ). If it were me personally, I would get the T&H simply because I believe it to be the better product, today. But, I don't have the fondness that you do for the current Taylors, so it's a different situation.
Regards,
Gordon
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Get the Taylor's

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
meltzer222

Post by meltzer222 »

Two of my favorite creams are Taylors Sandalwood and Taylors Avocado...so I say go for Taylors...