Tabac lathering

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
addicted

Tabac lathering

Post by addicted »

I'm pretty much a face latherer when it comes to soaps. I've been using Tabac for a couple of month now. Never had any problems with it. I've been using Chubby 2 Super brush. What I normally do is just swish the brush around a few times until the lather starts and then go to the face. At that point the brush has enough lather for 3 passes + extra neck work.

Last week, I've sent out my brush back to Simpson for cracked handle replacement and I got a really really nice Shavemac silvertip brush. I've done what I normally do and after the first pass tried to relather and got nothing. I went back to the soap, got more of it for each pass and everything was ok. So I thought it was just a different brush and maybe Chubby just holds more lather or soap.

Yesterday, I've used DRH lavender soap and shavemac worked just like chubby - swished it a few times and had enought later for the whole shave.

This morning I took out Tabac again. And again the same thing as the first time. Almost dry after the first pass.

So not that it bothers me all that much but just wondering what's up. Any thoughts? Tomorrow I'm going to try it with Rose Trumpers soap, which I love and, despite supposedly being non-tallow based, produces great lather and shaves.
rikrdo

Post by rikrdo »

Try adding some hot water (a few drips off your fingers)
to the breech (where the bristles meet the handle).
I find that pushes some of that trapped lathery goodness back down to the tips.
rick
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I bet it's only because the softer Shavemac bristle picks up less soap per stroke. More swirls on the soap at the beginning should do it.
DEF

Post by DEF »

I used to think I couldn't lather soap with a badger brush. It turns out I was shaking too much water out of it. Once I eased up, I started getting great results. And I do find that brushes can vary dramatically in how they hold/release the water. This may be part of your trouble as you've switched brushes.

Take care,
Doug
Doug
addicted

Post by addicted »

I don't think it's the lack of soap 'cause I swirl it enough times to get a good amount.

Water could probably explain it. It's a bit weird that DRH worked fine though but it could be that I just didn't shake it as much. I guess 3 shaves with soap is not big enough statistical sample to make any kind of conclusions :)

I guess I'll do it a few more times paying special attention to water amount.
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

I have similar experience with Tabac and my Shavemac (see avatar). The first lathering is glorious. 2d and 3d passes are not in the same league.

I don't have this problem with QED shave sticks: their subsequent passes may actually be better than the first...

I do like the Tabac. I've been using it every day since Christmas and the puck is still going strong. Good value, not that that matters :lol:

Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
Lil' Shaver

Post by Lil' Shaver »

Suggest you try Tabac soap in a bowl and compare that with lathering on your face. I find I get excellent lather when using a bowl or mug. Lathering on my face has given me only so so results.

For me it takes 50-100 swirls to get the best Tabac lather. With Proraso, just 25-50 swirls and Im good to go.

Tabac just needs more swirl time.
dwight
Steve

Post by Steve »

Addicted,

I have a Chubby #3 brush and I find that no other brush gives me as much lather as the Chubby. The Chubby holds tons of water and that may be the reason why you aren't getting as much lather.

On the other hand, you are not having the same problem with D R Harris but that soap lathers easier that Tabac, in my opinio. I use a mug for both soaps but I swirl the brush as many as 20 times, not just a few.

Steve
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

Lil' Shaver wrote: For me it takes 50-100 swirls to get the best Tabac lather. With Proraso, just 25-50 swirls and Im good to go.

dwight
Swirl time in the Tabac bowl or in the separate latherin g bowl?

Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Lil' Shaver wrote:Suggest you try Tabac soap in a bowl and compare that with lathering on your face. I find I get excellent lather when using a bowl or mug. Lathering on my face has given me only so so results.

For me it takes 50-100 swirls to get the best Tabac lather. With Proraso, just 25-50 swirls and Im good to go.

dwight
We must be talkingt about different things. When I said a few more swirls, I meant how many times on the soap, not how much work in a bowl afterwards.
addicted

Post by addicted »

Well, I've tried to again this morning. Shaked it out very lightly - leaving most of the water in. Swirled in the bowl quite a few times. Many more than I'd normally do with Chubby. Same result - enough lather for 1 pass only.

Now, I don't need to do anything about. It doesn't really bother me. It's not a big deal to do few more swirls. This was a topic posted strictly out of curiosity.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Interesting.
That brush works well with other products?
Mysterious. :D
Lil' Shaver

Post by Lil' Shaver »

notthesharpest wrote:
Lil' Shaver wrote:Suggest you try Tabac soap in a bowl and compare that with lathering on your face. I find I get excellent lather when using a bowl or mug. Lathering on my face has given me only so so results.

dwight
We must be talkingt about different things. When I said a few more swirls, I meant how many times on the soap, not how much work in a bowl afterwards.
Sorry, if I misunderstood.
I load up my brush with Tabac soap by gently turning the brush back and forth in such a way as to put as much of the soap on the bristles, with the intent to get soap deep inside the badger hairs, too. Then I put the brush to a bowl and add water as needed, swirling the whole time. I get a very nice lather this way.
Im not saying that you can't get lather by swirling your brush on your face, Im just saying that Ive done poorly at it. However, Ive had very good luck by using a bowl, then applying the lather to my face - especially with Tabac soap.

Other soaps and creams, have been a bit easier for me to get a good lather by directly lathering and swirling on the face.
I suspect a very good badger brush that holds water well, would do a very nice job of lathering directly on the face....just a guess on my part..
dwight