My first shave with the Moss scuttle

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
brderj

My first shave with the Moss scuttle

Post by brderj »

Wow. I should just end the post with that, wow. Bold it, underline it, sign my name at the bottom. All of you that have a Moss scuttle would just nod, approve, and move on. Everyone else would simply be confused. :D

I ordered one a while ago but I had it sent home, I did not want it broken here. A friend of mine could not wait that long and I'm glad he is more impatient then I am. This thing is amazing. I have an AC unit that blows on me the whole time, not a big dealanymore, warm lather the whole shave. Really, just amazing.

Thanks to Dr. Moss for the idea, thanks to Sara for being one of the most kind and open people to talk to, as well as talented for making this beautiful piece of pottery. Pictures do not do it justice in anyway.

150% impressed and satisfied, glad I made the purchase.

Jay
Last edited by brderj on Wed May 23, 2007 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Gen. Patton
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

:oops:

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ringo448

Post by ringo448 »

Where do you buy it?
brderj

Post by brderj »

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Gen. Patton
jpolaski

Post by jpolaski »

I've been looking at one of those. Do you lather in it, or lather then transfer to it? I don't see that bowl as having enough room to create a lather in.
"The older I get, the more I realize I'm getting older."
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

jpolaski wrote:I've been looking at one of those. Do you lather in it, or lather then transfer to it? I don't see that bowl as having enough room to create a lather in.
It is not designed as a lathering bowl, but rather as a place to "park"your brush between passes. Originally, I worked up my lather in a different bowl and transferred it to the scuttle. As of late, I lather directly on my face and just deposit the brush in the scuttle. I do this with both soaps and creams. Works perfectly.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
jpolaski

Post by jpolaski »

rtaylor61 wrote:
jpolaski wrote:I've been looking at one of those. Do you lather in it, or lather then transfer to it? I don't see that bowl as having enough room to create a lather in.
It is not designed as a lathering bowl, but rather as a place to "park"your brush between passes. Originally, I worked up my lather in a different bowl and transferred it to the scuttle. As of late, I lather directly on my face and just deposit the brush in the scuttle. I do this with both soaps and creams. Works perfectly.

Randy
Ah, got it. I lather in a bowl, and find it easier than lathering on the face, mostly due to the beard. I suppose I'd just transfer...and order one of the shave bowls while ordering a scuttle heh heh :twisted:
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

jpolaski wrote:
rtaylor61 wrote:

Randy
Ah, got it. I lather in a bowl, and find it easier than lathering on the face, mostly due to the beard. I suppose I'd just transfer...and order one of the shave bowls while ordering a scuttle heh heh :twisted:
Exactly! BTW, are you related to James Lipton?

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
NiksaNovovic

Post by NiksaNovovic »

If he was I think that he would use "SCRUMPTRELESCENT" more often then he does. That brings up a good point can you misspell a made up word? :lol:
Mickey_85

Post by Mickey_85 »

I too would love one of these. Since i use small brushes, i could lather in the scuttle. Only problem is it is $40 in shipping to Australia... dont think there is a way around that one haha.
brderj

Post by brderj »

They do make a bigger one for bigger brushes, but I really don't think anyone should have a bigger brush then the inside of the small Scuttle. :D

Some things are worth $40 shipping. Warm lather is one of those things. :D

Gen. Patton
ead

Post by ead »

I have it too, and love it :)
Mickey_85

Post by Mickey_85 »

I have a Vulfix 2234 which is a small kinda brush. Would the small scuttle still be big enough to lather inside. I know it was not meant to be lathered in, but it dont see anything wrong with it.
NiksaNovovic

Post by NiksaNovovic »

I had a question similar to Mickey_85. I have a Vulfix 2235 on it's way to me and I was just wondering if I should buy the large or the small Moss scuttle. I was also wondering if the waterfall scuttle was in any way different from the regular and ivory one or if it is simply a different glaze that is on the pottery? I merely ask because the waterfall costs 15 dollars more than the other two choices.

Warmest regards,
Niksa.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

NiksaNovovic wrote:I have a Vulfix 2235 on it's way to me and I was just wondering if I should buy the large or the small Moss scuttle. I was also wondering if the waterfall scuttle was in any way different from the regular and ivory one or if it is simply a different glaze that is on the pottery? I merely ask because the waterfall costs 15 dollars more than the other two choices.
I think the extra cost is because that glaze takes extra steps or is difficult to do. I think the scuttle is functionally the same.

Buy the small scuttle. Your new brush will easily fit in there.
NiksaNovovic

Post by NiksaNovovic »

Thanks notthesharpest I will do just that. Now if you could just print that off, sign it and date it I will have an official document legitimizing my purchase of the scuttle to my better half. :wink:
jpolaski

Post by jpolaski »

rtaylor61 wrote:
jpolaski wrote:
rtaylor61 wrote: It is not designed as a lathering bowl, but rather as a place to "park"your brush between passes. Originally, I worked up my lather in a different bowl and transferred it to the scuttle. As of late, I lather directly on my face and just deposit the brush in the scuttle. I do this with both soaps and creams. Works perfectly.

Randy
Exactly! BTW, are you related to James Lipton?

Randy

WOW!!! :shock: That's just scary. Oh, and you made my wife snarf her ice cream with that one...
brderj

Post by brderj »

So here's a question, if your not suppose to lather directly in the bowl why does the sticky on the forums show lathering in the scuttle? And when I asked Dr. Moss he said the same thing. Yet a lot of people say they lather in a separate bowl. Is it just a matter of preference?

Gen. Patton
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

brderj wrote:So here's a question, if your not suppose to lather directly in the bowl why does the sticky on the forums show lathering in the scuttle? And when I asked Dr. Moss he said the same thing. Yet a lot of people say they lather in a separate bowl. Is it just a matter of preference?
Those photographs were taken by me, so what they show must be right! I start the cream into the brush in the scuttle, and add a drip or two of water as required, then work it up on my face. This increases the volume of the lather enormously and is where the real work of lathering is done, then the brush goes back in the scuttle to rewarm. I understand that many would like the scuttle to be larger so it can double as a lathering bowl, but that would seriously impair its ability to transfer heat to the brush and lather, which depends on contact between the brush and the surrounding ceramic wall.

BTW, I understand from Sally she sent you some of those weird local maple cream chocolates. Strange, aren't they? But nice!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brderj

Post by brderj »

Good, because that's how I use the scuttle :lol: Works well for me.

Yes she did, well she sent them to my friends who ordered the scuttle. When I ordered mine I had it sent home so it wouldn't break here. They were great! :D I immediately sent her an e-mail and thanked her. She is such an amazingly nice person to talk to, very talented as well. If my girlfriend and I decide to do our trip to the hockey hall of fame I may just take an extra week and do a "tour" of Canada. :D I would love to see her work in person.

Gen. Patton