GINS!!!

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
GregPQ

GINS!!!

Post by GregPQ »

As the warm weather (finally) takes hold in New England, I have started drinking my Tanqueray straight (well, over 2 ice cubes :lol: ). I don't like dry martinis (I prefer 2 parts vermouth to 1 part gin), so this is a bit of a new direction for me.

Just curious if anyone else takes theirs neat or over ice. I can really taste the Tanqueray when it's not mixed with something else. Juniper berries, yum :D . Any recommendations for a good 'sipping' gin?

And here's to you,
Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
timc

Post by timc »

I can't say I've ever had gin straight. I enjoy a good martini now and then. Tonight was a gin and juice kind of night.

I'm partial to Bombay Sapphire myself. Tanqueray goes down pretty nicely as well.

Tim
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
ChknChkn

Post by ChknChkn »

Tanqueray Rangpur limes.........just bought a bottle of it the other day. Just might be my favorite. Usually drink Bombay Sapphire, but lately it been giving me a headache about an hour later.....after only one drink, which sucks.

The Tanqueray Rangpur limes kinda gives me a "pink grapefruit" taste, which is unusual, but I'm really digging it!
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

I drink my Bombay Sapphire straight occasionally, but usually, I have it with tonic and lime.

Rick
sparkchaser

Post by sparkchaser »

ChknChkn wrote:Tanqueray Rangpur limes.........just bought a bottle of it the other day. Just might be my favorite. Usually drink Bombay Sapphire, but lately it been giving me a headache about an hour later.....after only one drink, which sucks.

The Tanqueray Rangpur limes kinda gives me a "pink grapefruit" taste, which is unusual, but I'm really digging it!
+1

It makes horrible martinis and I don't like it straight but Tanqueray Rangpur makes the best gin & tonics ever. EVAR!
-Rob in Lynchburg
NickNCut

Post by NickNCut »

Maybe I will have to give gin another try. I got sick on it many, many years ago. With the distictive smell I haven't had it in 20+ years. But I like many things now that I did not when I was younger.
Sfox7076
Keeper of the Coates

Post by Sfox7076 »

And I thought we all liked old British things. Plymouth Gin is the way to go. It's great, it's only about $25 a bottle, and it British!

Shawn
"A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, a great deal of it is absolutely fatal" - Oscar Wilde
timc

Post by timc »

Sfox7076 wrote:And I thought we all liked old British things. Plymouth Gin is the way to go. It's great, it's only about $25 a bottle, and it British!

Shawn
Tanqueray is old and British. I have been planning on trying Plymouth after the bottle in my cupboard is empty.
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
sparkchaser

Post by sparkchaser »

Plymouth is good stuff. I'm peeved that they changed the label. I liked the old label better.
-Rob in Lynchburg
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Tanqueray is the one for me. Used to like Booth's when I lived in the UK. Bombay Sapphire is like drinking 4711.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Barry

Post by Barry »

I ordered a Gimlet the other night.

The bartender proceeded to mix it with a house made lime/sugar mix - the same that they would use to make a margarita. I should have refused it but I was thirsty. The simple sugar/lime mix was fine (actually, it was the best I've had) but I kind of like the old fashioned Roses Lime Syrup and Gin.

Barry
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Chifunda posted a link to a NY Times article on Martini gins:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/02/dining/02wine.html

The results:
BEST VALUE

Plymouth English Gin $22 *** 1/2
82.4 proof 1 liter
Subtle and elegant with crisp, lingering flavors of citrus and juniper: a martini in a dinner jacket. (Importer: Absolut Spirits, New York)

Junipero Anchor Distilling $35 ***
United States 86 proof 750 milliliters
Smooth, clean and very dry with assertive, classic flavors of juniper and citrus: a martini with one eyebrow raised.

Cadenhead’s Old Raj Dry Gin $50 ***
Scotland 110 proof 750 milliliters
Powerful, muscular and hot, but in a good way: a martini with a punch.
(Preiss Imports, Ramona, Calif.)

Seagram’s Extra Dry $15 ** 1/2
80 proof 750 milliliters
Surprisingly complex, with fruit, ginger, juniper and citrus flavors: a martini with a thesaurus.

Tanqueray London Dry Gin $22 ** 1/2
England 94.6 proof 750 milliliters
Crisp with a hint of mint and juniper flavors: a martini peeking out from librarian’s glasses. (Diageo, Norwalk, Conn.)

Hendrick’s $40 ** 1/2
Scotland 88 proof 750 milliliters
Unusual, intriguing floral aromas: a martini in a Hawaiian shirt.
(William Grant & Sons, New York)

Gordon’s London Dry $12 ** 1/2
United States 80 proof 750 milliliters
Gentle and harmonious with cardamom and nutmeg aromas: a martini in a gray flannel suit.

Bombay Sapphire London Dry $30 **
England 94 proof 1 liter
Jangly flavors of mint, herbs and citrus, with detectable alcoholic heat: a neurotic martini. (Bombay Spirits, Miami)

Quintessential London Dry $30 **
England 80 proof 750 milliliters
Smooth and direct, but with an odd, bittersweet flavor: a martini with a blemish. (White Rock Distilleries, Lewiston, Me.)

Martin Miller’s London Dry $32 **
England 80 proof 750 milliliters
Soft and slightly sweet, with floral aromas, but not a hint of juniper: a martini in pedal pushers. (Skyy Spirits, New York)

WHAT THE STARS MEAN:
Ratings range from zero to four stars and reflect the panel’s reaction to the gins, which were tasted with names concealed. The panelists this week are Eric Asimov; Florence Fabricant; Pete Wells, editor of the Dining section; and Audrey Saunders, an owner of the Pegu Club in Manhattan. The tasted gins represent a selection generally available in good retail shops, restaurants and over the Internet. Prices are those paid in liquor shops in the New York region.
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

Maybe it's my crude palate, but I really can't discern much difference among gins, especially in mixed drinks or a well-chilled martini. I'm partial to Beefeater Gin, usually mixed with tonic water and garnished with lime. Sipping it neat is not for me.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
timc

Post by timc »

Big Ren wrote:Maybe it's my crude palate, but I really can't discern much difference among gins, especially in mixed drinks or a well-chilled martini. I'm partial to Beefeater Gin, usually mixed with tonic water and garnished with lime. Sipping it neat is not for me.
I find that if I'm having G&T, that the flavour of the tonic water is more important than the flavour of the gin.
- Tim -
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

In a Martini, I can tell that there's a difference between gins. Have someone mix two good Martinis each with a different gin, and taste them side by side (without knowing which is which). Then decide which one you'll keep and which they'll get. Good test.
reggiano

Post by reggiano »

I read that NY Times article when it came out, and there is a major boo-boo in it. Junipeiro is not 86 proof, it is 98.6 proof, which certainly affects it's usability vis a vis martini cocktails. I think Jason Blair may have contributed to the story...
drumana

Post by drumana »

I'm drinking Tanqueray on the rocks right now and it's hitting the spot. 8)
-Andrew-
timc

Post by timc »

drumana wrote:I'm drinking Tanqueray on the rocks right now and it's hitting the spot. 8)
I'm drinking a Bombay Sapphire martini at the moment. Yummy.
- Tim -
Johnny_Z

Post by Johnny_Z »

I'm more of a G&T with lime person. I'm still new to it all but I think I like more tonic than lime. Not a big fan of the hard liquor it seems.

Yet anyway...
Exapno

Post by Exapno »

I'm a Tanquaray fan, mostly because I get bottles of it for free :P Anyone here tried Hendricks Gin? I've been told by a couple of people that it's excellent but haven't tried it... yet.