Thinking of going DE

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Canoeman

Thinking of going DE

Post by Canoeman »

I am 44 yrs old and up until the last 2 years have been and electric shaver. At that point I switched to cartridge shaving and have gotten better shaves but still get some irritation and nicks. I have been reading posts on this site for a few days and have seen the videos. I am wondering if you think wet shaving and a DE will help. Also to start, I was thinking of going with a Mekur HD or Progressive or 38C. Also is there honestly much difference between a Vulfix 403 (20mm/105mm) and a Vulfix 406 (22mm/105mm).

Thanks in advance for you thoughts.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Those two Vulfix brushes are a similar design in a slightly different size. I would tend to classify them small and medium-small, but they may spread in use and seem a bit bigger. Should work well in any case. Your razor choices are all good.

And yes, DE shaving may very well help. It has for me.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I think it will help. I highly recommend the HD as the best starting razor, along with the blade sampler pack. Here are a couple of polls that ask the question: "What is the best razor for a beginner?"

Poll 1
Poll 2

There's much guidance available in the forum, and I also recommend the Guide to Gourmet Shaving, of course. :)
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

In this life-long pursuit, there is not think only do. You have SCAD, RAD, & SBAD to look forward to. :D

Jump in - the water is just fine!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

CanoeMan:

WELCOME TO THE FORUM first and foremost, come often and stay long. You've come to the right place for all of your wet shaving questions.

First go here: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15973

Then go here: http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2006/07 ... xperience/

Then go here: http://www.youtube.com/shavetutor

After reviewing all of the above, if you have any questions feel free to ask. We will be more than happy to answer.

And as always...

Enjoy your shave... :)
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
jbc

Post by jbc »

As per usual I agree with Leasuireguy, however I would like to differ from him a little. I did a poll sometime ago and asked what is the best razor for you. The HD and the Super Speed ran neck and neck for most of the poll while the Super Speed barely edged out the HD for top honors as the best razor. I find that typically the most popular razor is the most popular for a reason, typically its the highest quality. So I would recommend a super speed. Also agree that the sampler pack is an excellent idea, but should only serve as a starting point. Once you have the sampler you need to continue from there to razorandbrush.com where Tryphon Industries makes its living by importing safety razors and blades and selling them via the web. Tryphon has a lot of excellent brands that you should try and see which is best for you. Between Tryphon and the Sampler pack you should pretty well have the universe of double edge blades coverd.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 »

There are lots of places to purchase blades not included in John's sampler. In addition, there are offers of trades or even free blades that are not in the sampler. No one wants to step on John's toes as the service he offers is a great benefit to us all, so don't look for blades included in the sampler pack, unless there is an offer to trade something not included in the sampler for something that is, but at a much greater quanty.
Frankly, the HD is darn hard to beat as a first razor. Perhaps the advantage for a new wet shaver is that you can purchase them new.
John
Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 »

There are lots of places to purchase blades not included in John's sampler. In addition, there are offers of trades or even free blades that are not in the sampler. No one wants to step on John's toes as the service he offers is a great benefit to us all, so don't look for blades included in the sampler pack, unless there is an offer to trade something not included in the sampler for something that is, but at a much greater quanty.
Frankly, the HD is darn hard to beat as a first razor. Perhaps the advantage for a new wet shaver is that you can purchase them new.
The advise from Yoda is, of course, sage.
Welcome home brother!
John
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

jbc, one minor point: your poll asked the question, "What is your favorite razor?", not "What razor would you recommend for a newbie?" Two different questions. And in any event, the poll currently shows a tie between Super Speed and HD.
jAk440

Post by jAk440 »

I just broke the tie (momentarily), by voting for the SuperSpeed. That said, I like the Gillette Tech, too, and prefer both the Tech and the SuperSpeed to either of the Merkur razors I've tried (the HD and the Futur). Michael is correct, the two questions are different -- and I'd certainly recommend either of the vintage Gillette razors over any of the Merkur razors for a beginner. (A close friend told me that I had erred in recommending an HD as his first DE razor about a year ago. In retrospect, I have to agree.)
Jordan
shavedhead

Post by shavedhead »

I commend you on your decision because I was there not long ago. In the beginning, I doubted my decision with the serious razor burn I immediatley encountered but I stuck with it and still learn everyday. Your shaves will improve imho and once you start, I don't think you can ever go back

:P
Have a wonderful shaving day
Canoeman

Thanks

Post by Canoeman »

Thanks to all for your reccomendations. I'm giving a list to my wife for father's day.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Best wishes for a happy Father's Day. :)
final_id

Post by final_id »

I'm on a Gillette Adjustable from 1962 ("slim handle") set at 6. Read the reviews, decided I preferred that razor, found one on EBay.
shavedhead

Post by shavedhead »

Maybe Fathers Day will be something good for you like a Merkur Vision!!

:twisted:
Have a wonderful shaving day
ead

Post by ead »

I love my HD very much
Vulfix has some great brushes
No matter what you will take, I am sure you will enjoy it :)
jkovach

Post by jkovach »

I had horrible issues with ingrown hairs and profuse neck bleeding when using Mach3 and went the electric route, which never resulted in the kind of shave I wanted. I went the brush/DE route and it has turned my (former) least favorite activity into a pleasurable one.

I started with a Merkur Progress and later purchased a Merkur HD. I wish I would have started with the HD. I feel that I have much more control by changing my blade angle via my wrist than using the adjustment on the Progress. I have been extremely happy with the HD and have no plans to change. In fact, I'll probably sell my Progress to buy another HD for my travel kit.

Can't comment on the Vulfix brushes - never owned one.