Milestones

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
drumana

Milestones

Post by drumana »

This morning I showered and shaved within 20 minutes with no irritation, nicks, or unsightlyness on the face. :D Dang near BBS, too...

I remember back in the day (3 months ago) where it would take me an hour to shave, and then clean up my face which was irritated and had unsightluy nicks.

This is truly a milestone!

Cheers
-Andrew-
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Andrew,

Congratulations! Sounds like your technique is coming along very well. Your experience will be of great value to the Noobs who are struggling with irritation issues. Keep an eye out for their posts and jump in with some positive comments. Like they say: it ain't rocket science.

Welcome aboard to the Brotherhood of the Blade.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Post by salbev »

a truly wonderful day! i remember when it happened for me not that long ago. when pressure and balance and angle all come together atop a well prepared beard with great lather!
congratulations and here's to many more.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Isn't it great? Yet the wonderful smoothness of the face, felt casually as if in thought, keeps it forever from being routine. Congratulations, and enjoy!
martint84

Post by martint84 »

Congrats!

What would you say is the most important factor in your shave that either reduced your time spent or eliminated irritation? (Always trying to pick up tips over here)
drumana

Post by drumana »

What would you say is the most important factor in your shave that either reduced your time spent or eliminated irritation? (Always trying to pick up tips over here)
For me the tough spots have always been my jaw line and my neck. Over the past 3 months my technique just got better. I use shorter strokes in the neckal area - that seems to help. I also stop a stroke immediately when I feel some pulling or discomfort and adjust angle or rinse the razor or add more lather - whatever is needed.

And the big thing was actually when I cut out the Proraso pre-shave. I got a tip from the Art of Shaving folks that euclyiptus (sp?) is an irritant for sensitive skin. I stopped using it and around the same time stopped using soaps and started using C&E cream. And it was like - BOOM! - perfect combo for me.

I also spend a little more time lathering my face, which is quite enjoyable actually - as well as moisturizing. No pre-shave needed.

I guess another thing is knowing when to toss a blade and get a new one. I go 3 to 4 shaves with Derby or Personna blades. That's the limit.

feelin' good in the hood
-Andrew-
fritz

Post by fritz »

drumana wrote:And the big thing was actually when I cut out the Proraso pre-shave. I got a tip from the Art of Shaving folks that euclyiptus (sp?) is an irritant for sensitive skin.
It's great to see you have finally set foot on THE WAY. Many more good shaves! (But don't try to get too much less than 20 minutes; at least allow a schedule for 30, and if you finish in less time, then fine. Rushing is the best way to ruin a good shave. Enjoy it.)

It's a shame you can't use Proraso pre. I love everything about it except the price. :cry: And it makes a big difference on my wiry, oily beard. I don't suppose you bought a 6-month supply at the Target close-out that you'd like to sell/trade?? :D

You may not need a face scrub for shaving. But Nivea makes two (blue tube, normal and green tube, oily skin) and Neutrogena makes one called "Razor Defense" that you might want to look at, especially if you have problems with clogged pores. None of those contain eucalyptus or menthol. I've used all of these, and they work about as well as Proraso, I just don't enjoy them as much.

EDIT: OMG! I just realized that your 20 minutes included the shower as well! Way, way, too fast!
Last edited by fritz on Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Der Fritzer
"There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays, and every single one of them is right!" R. Kipling
My Working Stuff
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Milestones

Post by drmoss_ca »

drumana wrote:This morning I showered and shaved within 20 minutes ....
Only twenty minutes? Come, come, my lad. We can't have this unseemly haste! Let us imagine, you and I, that you are hungry. Let us also imagine a splendid meal prepared by skilled chefs, served on fine china. There is a crisply starched tablecloth, gleaming silver cutlery, sparkling handcut lead crystal glasses, and a trio is just reaching the sublime Elegia of Arensky's Op.32 Piano Trio. A youthful gewurtztraminer is in the ice bucket by the table, and even better, the equally youthful and beautiful love of your life gazing adoringly across the table at you. Her eyes promise pleasures to come.

And you guzzle the lot, swill the wine, and roger the girl in twenty minutes? :shock:

Slow down. You'll enjoy it more.

Chris
So will she.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drumana

Post by drumana »

And you guzzle the lot, swill the wine, and roger the girl in twenty minutes?
HA! :lol: :lol: Well put

Well, when I can slow down I do. Like today - a leisurly Sunday.

Sometimes that's not the case, though, and my choice is to either NOT shave :shock:, or shower and shave rather quickly.

And, yes, it was 20 minutes - I timed it. 21 minutes to be exact.
-Andrew-
fritz

Re: Milestones

Post by fritz »

drmoss_ca wrote:
drumana wrote:This morning I showered and shaved within 20 minutes ....
Only twenty minutes? Come, come, my lad. We can't have this unseemly haste! Let us imagine, you and I, that you are hungry. Let us also imagine a splendid meal prepared by skilled chefs, served on fine china. There is a crisply starched tablecloth, gleaming silver cutlery, sparkling handcut lead crystal glasses, and a trio is just reaching the sublime Elegia of Arensky's Op.32 Piano Trio. A youthful gewurtztraminer is in the ice bucket by the table, and even better, the equally youthful and beautiful love of your life gazing adoringly across the table at you. Her eyes promise pleasures to come.

And you guzzle the lot, swill the wine, and roger the girl in twenty minutes? :shock:

Slow down. You'll enjoy it more.

Chris
So will she.
+10! Ah, Chris, and I thought that I had a decent command of the English language! \:D/ Not only good advice, but so very well said.
Der Fritzer
"There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays, and every single one of them is right!" R. Kipling
My Working Stuff
fritz

Post by fritz »

drumana wrote: Well, when I can slow down I do. Like today - a leisurly Sunday.
Sometimes that's not the case, though, and my choice is to either NOT shave :shock:, or shower and shave rather quickly.
Well, we all recognize the unfortunate difference between the ideal and the everyday. Even though I'm retired, on odd occasions I will find myself in a situation where I must shave a little more quickly than usual. However, it would be best if you actively plan for this not to happen. In other words, don't just leave it to Sundays; set your alarm 15 minutes earlier. No real biggie, considering your morning shave is probably going to affect how you feel the rest of your day.
Secondly, have a plan for those days when the worst happens, and you really must shave more quickly. This is something you have to work out for yourself, but I'll give you mine as an example.
I have a can of Proraso. Yes, you can still get REAL shaving cream in a can. Saves a bunch of lathering time. I never drop the Proraso pre-scrub and hot towel, but I might cut the hot towel down to one 30-second application instead of my usual 4. I forgo my Vision, Futur, and Slant with a Feather for my LHC with a new Derby (which is pre-loaded). A very forgiving razor and blade combination. Only one pass, and a quick touch-up if needed on the most visible areas (upper lip and point of chin). Now, it's not BBS, but it's a decent acceptable 9-hour shave, and it'll get you by.
Der Fritzer
My Working Stuff
ead

Post by ead »

fritz wrote:
drumana wrote: Well, when I can slow down I do. Like today - a leisurly Sunday.
Well, we all recognize the unfortunate difference between the ideal and the everyday. Even though I'm retired, on odd occasions I will find myself in a situation where I must shave a little more quickly than usual. However, it would be best if you actively plan for this not to happen. In other words, don't just leave it to Sundays; set your alarm 15 minutes earlier. No real biggie, considering your morning shave is probably going to affect how you feel the rest of your day.
Secondly, have a plan for those days when the worst happens, and you really must shave more quickly. This is something you have to work out for yourself, but I'll give you mine as an example.
I have a can of Proraso. Yes, you can still get REAL shaving cream in a can. Saves a bunch of lathering time. I never drop the Proraso pre-scrub and hot towel, but I might cut the hot towel down to one 30-second application instead of my usual 4. I forgo my Vision, Futur, and Slant with a Feather for my LHC with a new Derby (which is pre-loaded). A very forgiving razor and blade combination. Only one pass, and a quick touch-up if needed on the most visible areas (upper lip and point of chin). Now, it's not BBS, but it's a decent acceptable 9-hour shave, and it'll get you by.
Totaly agree with you!!!
It is really worth getting up early to have a nice start of day with good BBS shave 8)