Shaving in the Movies

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

I love this stuff... Guess I'm going to have to be more observant and start watching some old B&W movies. May prove interesting.

And as always...

Enjoy your shave... :)
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Titanium

Post by Titanium »

Anyone heard of the new Tim Burton/Johnny Depp Movie Sweeny Todd? Check out these pics. Want to know more about the movie? Check here.
Angel
BB6

Post by BB6 »

growler wrote:Then of course there's Bob Geldof in "The Wall."

He shaves his entire body, including his chest, with a DE. There's an incredibly painful moment when he slices a nipple practically off. Then he opens the razor, takes out the blade, snaps it in half lengthwise and shaves off his eyebrows (cutting himself there in the process also).

There's the infamous "Un Chien Andalou," by Brunel and Dali, which features a woman getting her eyeball slit with a straight. Stills and video here:

http://www.wayney.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/uca.htm

NOTE: NOT for the squeamish.

Spencer Tracy shaves in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?"
There is also a nice straight razor shot at the beginning of the movie. When the boy is trying on his fathers military uniform. No shaving obviously but a nice shot none the less.
Kevin
giraffejumper

Post by giraffejumper »

Is there a way to merge this thread with the one in Shutterbug Shaver? http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5041
I have been uploading my pics there and everyone seems to be reading this one!
-philKnowledge! Pass it on!!!
Even more knowledge! Keep it alive!
SpaceChief

Post by SpaceChief »

The best shaving scene in a movie is Richard Kiel in Eegah!
tjggriffin

Post by tjggriffin »

MySpace there is a film a short of guy shaving with
a Rolls in the garden. Nice! Check it out:

Short URL:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2nlef7

Long URL:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... 1705135876
- TJG
Julius_Rodman

Post by Julius_Rodman »

two of immediate thought:

1) Key Largo (already mentioned) - Edward G won't shut up or sit still. (great deadpan by Bogart)

2) The World's Greatest Lover - Dom Deluise's nutcake producer takes a straight shave during a bad news meeting with the yes-men. A very sloppy lather in that full mug, which sprays to great effect when disturbed. "Paramount"
final_id

Post by final_id »

There's a scene in "Band of Brothers" (excellent HBO miniseries about the Airborne during WWII) in about episode 5 or so. One of the main characters (Private? soon to be promoted?) is managing a shave despite the fact that the unit is bunkered in at the Bastogne, IIRC. Straight razor and tin army issue mess mug/plate.
Cliff in New Orleans
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

In the movie, "Pan's Lybrinth," an adult fantasy that takes place in Spain during WWII, the Fascist Military Officer has several scenes where he is shaving using a brush and str8 razor. He shaves N-S above the jawline and S-N below the jawline. :shock:
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

nteeman wrote:In the movie, "Pan's Lybrinth," an adult fantasy that takes place in Spain during WWII, the Fascist Military Officer has several scenes where he is shaving using a brush and str8 razor. He shaves N-S above the jawline and S-N below the jawline. :shock:
I think the straight razor is to show how EVIL he is. And manly. Manly and evil. Yup. :twisted:
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
offshoot

Post by offshoot »

In "The African Queen" Mr. Bogart shaves with straight.

Vesa
dennisthemenace

Post by dennisthemenace »

Caught part of The Far Country last night, starring James Stewart and Walter Brennan. Great scene with James Stewart shaving several days of growth with a straight, first with the grain then across it. Jimmy obviously really knew his business.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis
Julius_Rodman

Post by Julius_Rodman »

Citizen Cohn.

When Roy Cohn cuts himself with his (straight??) razor and it won't stop bleeding, it's the first sign he is ill.
drumana

Post by drumana »

So that's a Rolls Razor. Cool. . . never seen one before. Intreresting little short movie there. Psychadelic shave in the garden. Didn't relather. . .
-Andrew-
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Bargepole wrote:
nteeman wrote:In the movie, "Pan's Lybrinth," an adult fantasy that takes place in Spain during WWII, the Fascist Military Officer has several scenes where he is shaving using a brush and str8 razor. He shaves N-S above the jawline and S-N below the jawline. :shock:
I think the straight razor is to show how EVIL he is. And manly. Manly and evil. Yup. :twisted:
I'd throw in manly and evil and trying to live up to his image of his father.

He is rather unpleasant at times.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
nolawis

Shaving on TV

Post by nolawis »

For some strange reason, I was watching the pilot episode of the Streets of San Francisco. There is a pretty long scene of one of the guest stars, Robert Wagner, having a shave with a DE.

Nw
Fair winds and following seas.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Days of Glory is set in WWII, and has an al fresco outside a tent DE shaving scene. Looks to be a boar brush, with some sort of soap in a mug, and probably a Tech razor or such like. The scene ends as the shaver (sergent Martinez) is about to commence a horrific looking against the grain shredding of the area between his Adam's apple and his chin. War is heck.

Very good film, also.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Just watched "Grumpy Old Men" with Jack Lemon and Walter Matthau. Jack Lemon used a DE preparing for a night out with Ann Margaret.

One of the funniest damn movies ever made... :lol:
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
drumana

Post by drumana »

This isn't a movie, but the TV show, "Heroes" has a scene in the first season were Sylar (the villan, of course :twisted: ) is shaving against the grain with a straight razor.
-Andrew-
lordjohn

Post by lordjohn »

OK just seen my first on TV classic film channel. It's Spielberg's "Empire of the Sun". The John Malkovich character is in a Japanese prison camp getting a shave with a straight using lather (?) from a mug. Guard comes in and peers at the lather and sees a Japanese symbol in the bottom of the mug; he gives Malkovich a hard time!

John