Yet Another Newbie

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Reverend Jim

Yet Another Newbie

Post by Reverend Jim »

Hi everybody! I have been using Gillette Sensor for quite a while and have decided to go DE. I have already ordered a sample pack of blades to force me to get the razor. I was thinking of getting the Merkur classic but I have read some posts bragging on the Gillette Speed razors from the '60's. I see thes widely available on ebay for good prices for razors that appear to be in pretty good shape. I am going to buy a razor, I just don't know which one to buy. If I buy a vintage razor, which one will be my best choice? Is a good vintage Gillette better than the Merkur classic? Would the HD be a better choice? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Both are excellent choices, as long as the old razor is in good condition.
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Hello Jim (I presume your name is Jim),

Welcome to SMF!

Being somewhat of New Boy myself, I'm not exactly qualified to give an expert response to you, but having asked a similar question quite recently I thought I would throw in a couple of ideas for you. This is a basic round-up of what I've been told.

The Merkur HD is widely regarded and recommended by many here as a great beginner DE. I'm told that it is a gentle and mild razor with plenty of weight to help teach the new user to keep pressure off. It's probably best to steer clear of anything adjustable to begin with. You can of course also buy the HD new.

As for vintage razors, the Gillette Super Speed from the 1940s or 1950s onwards (they have different handles but similar heads) would also be great. You can buy them at a very reasonable price indeed from the selling/trading board here or on eBay. I purchased one last week for $2 plus $10 postage to the UK. Not bad eh? This seller on eBay has been recommended to me by people on SMF, and his descriptions are apparently very accurate: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Classic-Sh ... esstQQtZkm

Another recommended razor is the Gillette Tech which like the others mentioned above is also considered to be a relatively mild razor. Again eBay or the boards here for good prices.

Finally, I've heard some good words said about Weishi razors, but I don't know an awful lot about them.

You'll find the people here very helpful and very knowledgable. Feel free to ask any questions, and I'm sure you'll get a very quick and friendly response.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Welcome! You're very wise to have the sampler pack. So far as the first razor, the Merkur Hefty Classic ("HD") is by far the most frequently recommended, but there's nothing wrong with the Super Speed. You'll find it's more gentle than the HD, so that it requires a sharper blade and a bit more patience to do a good job. (At least this is true for me.)

You'll also find that your technique improves quickly with the daily practice you get.
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

welcome Jim,
you have just tapped into a widely discussed topic. Both of these are fine razors indeed. If you are going to limit yourself to 1 razor only, then you have a very tough decision. If you decide that you can have 2 razors then the choice is easy (one of each). The HD will always be a great choice for a razor. It shaves great, is well made and will last forever. Those Gillette superspeeds you are seeing are also very popular (I happen to love them). They all work pretty good just don't buy the red-tipped one for your first shaver (it is an aggressive shaver). The Gillette tech is also a good first choice (milder) for a DE beginner. Also keep an eye out on the selling/trading forums here as alot of really nice stuff rolls through daily, and you're buying from a SMF member and not some stranger off of the bay. anyways good luck to ya! 8)
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Another piece of advice I would offer you is to watch Mantic's YouTube videos.

Mantic (Mark) is a fellow member of SMF and has recorded some truly excellent instructional videos covering all aspects of wet-shaving from the basics to some pretty advanced stuff. Some of it is also quite tongue-in-cheek which is fun too.

You'll find Mark's videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59
nedquimby

Post by nedquimby »

Welcome Jim,

I have a 60's superspeed in very nice condition that was given to me a few months ago. I've since settled on a different razor for everyday use, so if you're interested in the SS, send me a PM and I'll put it in the mail.

Mike
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

Thanks for the responses guys! I PMed Mike to take him up on his generous offer and will give the SS first crack at my face. If it works out that will be great, and if it doesn't I will try the HD and do Mike proud by passing the SS on to another deserving soul. I'm glad I found this website--believe it or not, I found this site through a cigar related site. Thanks for the warm welcome.

And yes, my name is Jim.
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Jim---Welcome to SMF! Glad to have you aboard.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome, Jim - It sounds like you're off to a good start!

- Murray