Schick DE?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Reverend Jim

Schick DE?

Post by Reverend Jim »

Hi everyone! My mother in law saw me looking a blades on the internet and said that she had a razor for me. She brought me a Schick razor still in it's box with the instruction manual. It hardly has any signs of use, it has a black hadle and twist to open. On the bottom of the plastic case it says it was made by Shick, a division of the Eversharp company in 1965. I haven't gotten my first shipment of blades yet so I haven't tried it. Does anyone know anything about these? I see lots of info about the Gillettes but nothing on the Schicks.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Souds like a Krona. If it is it's a great razor,IMO; it's a mild shaver, but I have no difficulty getting a BBS everytime. I much prefer it to my Gillette Techs, which I find give me a harsh shave with Crystal blades. The Krona's head geometry and long handle are its strong points. I put it up there with my two favourites, the Merkur 38C and Edwin Jagger DE Chatsworth in faux ivory, and ahead of my Fat Boy adjustable and Gillette SS.
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

It sure looks like the Krona but there is no writing on the doors--proboably just a different year model. Thanks for the reply Rufus! I'm going to sterelize tonight and give it a try.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

My Krona doesn't have writing on the silo doors either. Hope you like it; I sure do. The Krona is a highly underrated razor, which is a good thing, as this keeps the price down.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Watch out! Sterilizing razors with plastic parts is risky business.
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

Depends if you are sterilizing or cleaning gunk out of it or both.
In my opinion boiling is a no no on plastic parts.
To sterilize I use rubbing alcohol or barbicide.
To clean I use an electric toothbrush and hot water. Might use some scrubbing bubbles on one that is not a collector but even then I'm careful.
Really in the long run I doubt if any pathogen would survive long on most razor surfaces cleaned with just soap and water. If the razor was years in storage not many germs would have the ability to survive if the razor was dry and stored in a closed container so that fresh germs could not access it.
If any germ still survived under such harsh conditions (by germ standards) it is unlikely they could be affected by anything short of a nuke or maybe a phazor set on maximum ...but only if desperate.
I would use the nuke first then do clean up with the phazor.
You might want to try the rubbing alcohol or barbicide first though.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Right, I'd clean all the gunk off it first until it sparkles and then sok it in 70%-90% isopropyl alcohol for at least half an hour. Just don't boil it because of the plastic handle
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Most people like this razor. It's on the longer and thinner side, and perhaps a little on the light side. Underneath the plastic on the handle is a metal mechanism. There are many minor variants, but the shave is probably almost the same for all of them.

There have been several threads here discussing this razor - search for the word "krona".
Last edited by Pauldog on Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stephen732

Post by stephen732 »

my first de purchase was two schick kronas (one black tip, the other silver tip). found these to be a great beginner's razor but soon had the urge for something more aggressive. found the weight and length perfect to start out with but for now i'm married to gillette
Matthew Moore

Post by Matthew Moore »

Not to bump and old post, but I just saw one of these at a flea market for a buck! Before I bought it though I thought I'd come do a search. I'm glad that people seem to like it.

OT: I also found an oooooooooooooooold Gillete in case. I'm buying that too.
Tommynick

Post by Tommynick »

It's a nice razor. I picked up on on ebay a few months back as I liked the styling. I find it to be a tame razor and usually use a Feather or Astra with this razor. It's a good razor for a newbie to learn on.
Tommynick

Post by Tommynick »

It's a nice razor. I picked up on on ebay a few months back as I liked the styling. I find it to be a tame razor and usually use a Feather or Astra with this razor. It's a good razor for a newbie to learn on.
Areler67

Post by Areler67 »

Yes It's a great razor! Very easy and gentle to use. First time I used it, it was with Arko commando shaving cream and it was a BBS shave :D