New Wet Shaver...(product advice)

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Teuton

New Wet Shaver...(product advice)

Post by Teuton »

Hey folks, i'm new here about to take the plunge. I think the most important thing for me right now is getting started - learning technique, learning what I like, etc.

I have decided on a couple products already...

-Merkur HD Straight
-Rooney Style 1 Small Super Silver
-My grandma gave me an early 1900's ceramic shaving mug that was used by my great grandfather. I think I will use this.

I will also buy a cheap ceramic bowl until I decide what is better for me - lather in bowl or on face.

I have dreams of eventually trying out a straight razor (maybe converting) but for now I think I should start with a DE at least until I master technique and my own routine along with figuring out what products work for me (brush(s), cream or soap, etc.)

The only other thing I need advice on is cream/soap. What should I get to start? I don't really want to mess around with variety until I get the hang of this so I need advice on one good cream or soap that I can use until then.

Thanks.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I suggest Taylor of Old Bond Street Avocado shaving cream in the tub for the shaving cream.

And for the soap, I suggest a shave stick from QED, Mama Bear, or Honeybee Spa. Or you can get one of the commercial ones (Erasmic, Valobra, Arko, Wilkinson, D.R. Harris, Taylor of Old Bond Street, etc.). But a shaving stick is fun to use and you get enough soap more or less automatically (by rubbing the stick against the grain all over your wet beard).

Hope this helps.

Update: Let me also draw your attention to this post.
Last edited by Leisureguy on Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: New Wet Shaver...(product advice)

Post by drmoss_ca »

Teuton wrote:Hey folks, i'm new here about to take the plunge. I think the most important thing for me right now is getting started - learning technique, learning what I like, etc.

I have decided on a couple products already...

-Merkur HD Straight
I know that you know that you didn't mean that.

Welcome to SMF; we're not all that scary, and most of us aren't psychopathic.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I think he means the HD straight-bar, rather than the HD open-comb.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Hey Teuton,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM where you will find an eccentric bunch of maniacal preferential wet shaving enthusiasts.

When I say preferential, I mean preferential. We all have our likes and dislikes. What I like you may hate and vice versa. But to answer your question you can find some readily available shaving soap at Wal-Mart or your local pharmacy. One is called "Williams" mug Soap and the other is (I believe) Van Der Hagen shaving soap. Both are inexpensive and will give you an acceptable shave until you decide to take the plunge and get more expensive brands. Michael also gave you some good sites and products from which to choose.

Don't be intimidated by anyone here, the only one with a bad bark is Clive (fallingwickets) but his bark is worse than his bite. He's really a great and generous member of the forum.

Have any more questions, just ask away. We'll help if we can.

And as always...

Enjoy your shave... :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Gareth
Taylorman

Re: New Wet Shaver...(product advice)

Post by Gareth »

Teuton wrote:Rooney Style 1 Small Super Silver
Welcome to SMF.

I have this Rooney brush and it is excellent. It is a great size (for me at least, YMMV) and lathers up excellently. Very well made too.