Looking For Soaps to Fill My New Scuttles

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
jww
Woolly Bully

Looking For Soaps to Fill My New Scuttles

Post by jww »

I want to get some soap pucks to use with my newly acquired shaving scuttles. The soap receptacles measure 2.25"" and 2.5" respectively. Any thoughts on brands that would fit? My Mitchell's Woolfat refills are too large (good thing I bought the Mitchell's ceramic bowl as well).

I am kind of open to scents, but would prefer at least one in lavender as a minimum.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

As far as traditional scuttle shaving pucks go you have one scent. Taylor, T&H, Trumper, and Vulfix all make a scuttle soap and they all smell the same. T&H Luxury is the scent. Edwardian Bouquet Gordon calls it (I'm not sure if he just pulled that one out of the air or he actually knows something).
Richard
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Interesting. Anyone have experience with the Classic Shaving brand soap-s?
Wendell

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

If your scuttles have the the rounded bottom where the soap sits you will need a small domed shaped soap or it simply won't fit very well. I'm not sure if classic make them.

Classic soap isn't all that great BTW.
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Wendell, I'm with Richard on this. Since even the very best scuttle soaps ( the ones he mentioned ) aren't very expensive usually ( the T&H scuttle soap is about $7 from various online sources ), why not go top shelf?
Regards,
Gordon
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Wendell -

Classic Shaving offers a smaller soap cake in approximately the same diameter as the scuttle soaps, but, as Richard said, they don't have the rounded bottom that would enable them to fit the typical scuttle correctly.

Classic's soaps are decent enough, and I have one with a very pleasant, fresh lime scent. I haven't used mine frequently enough to assess how long it lasts, but I have read others here report that Classic's soaps are used up rather quickly. This, of course, negates any cost savings over the soaps that Richard and Gordon recommend.

- Murray
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I am not tied to brand per se. I am after good quality soaps in a puck size that will fit the scuttles. So - if you have specific suggestions, please include some further suggestions for website information so I can pursue ordering. So far, I haven't seen anything for scuttle-sized soap pucks for Taylor, Trumper, etc. from the suppliers I normally use (Em's & Classic Shaving) - so am open to increase my pool of shaving sources.

Thanks gents :)
Wendell

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I had one of the classicshaving scuttle soaps made for the Vulfix pewter scuttle they sell. It was supposed to be sandalwood and smelled just like a sugared almond. That's why I only had one.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Wendell, Classic Shaving offers the "Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Soap Refill, 57g," which I believe is designed for a scuttle. They don't specifically describe its shape, however.

If you like cold-pour soaps, which are capable of fresher, more natural scents, you could get one of the Taylor soaps, take a cast of it, and melt cold-pour soaps, in the scents and brands of your choice, to fit. :D

- Murray
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

Hi All,
I recently pm'd Wendell, but might as well mention this for the general audience ......heh.
Colleen's (TGQ) soaps are available in a puck measuring 2'' diameter x .50'' thick . They're the one ounce size, which sounds like they may work for the purpose being discussed here. Most of em run between 3-4 bucks each, with her one ounce 'summer' offerings now being sold for $2.50. Although I've never sniffed her lavender versions, they get some good feedback.
Good luck with that again Wendell,
Martin
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

jww wrote:I am not tied to brand per se. I am after good quality soaps in a puck size that will fit the scuttles. So - if you have specific suggestions, please include some further suggestions for website information so I can pursue ordering. So far, I haven't seen anything for scuttle-sized soap pucks for Taylor, Trumper, etc. from the suppliers I normally use (Em's & Classic Shaving) - so am open to increase my pool of shaving sources.

Thanks gents :)
Classic Shaving do carry the Taylor Luxury scuttle soap. My recommendation though is to get the T&H one or even better, the old Trumper Oxford Blue tallow base (with the ingredients Shave Soap Base, Toilet Soap Base), Barclay Crocker still carry these.
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Wendall, Murray is right, Classic Shaving definately stocks the Taylor's scuttle soap. I think Vintage Blades may have the T&H version ( which I would personally recommend ). The Trumper scuttle soaps are a little harder to come by, and I have to admit, often overpriced in the US. Still, they are available, if you google around.
Regards,
Gordon
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Vintage Blades has a scuttle-sized soap sourced from Vulfix, I believe.

- Murray
timc

Post by timc »

Although Classic Shaving soap isn't the greatest, they do make a scuttle soap:

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/i ... 198673.htm

I think I have one of these, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I do have a soap from Classic Shaving and it does have a rounded bottom. I made it fit into a mug that I had, so I don't know what the diameter was; you could just shave the edges down to make it fit.
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

CMur12 wrote:Vintage Blades has a scuttle-sized soap sourced from Vulfix, I believe.

- Murray

The world of top-shelf scuttle soaps is a very unusual one. They all look the same, smell VERY similar and even in the case of T&H and Taylor have identical ingredients, yet the Taylor version burned the dickens out of my skin.
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Richard, I know, I remember. That's why ( above ) I suggested that Wendall go with the T&H instead. The Trumpers O&G I have is also very good ( even though it's one of the palm oil ones ), but they are usually quite a bit more expensive, are they not?
Regards,
Gordon
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

bernards66 wrote:Richard, I know, I remember. That's why ( above ) I suggested that Wendall go with the T&H instead. The Trumpers O&G I have is also very good ( even though it's one of the palm oil ones ), but they are usually quite a bit more expensive, are they not?
Regards,
Gordon
Yes, Trumper refills run about $11 which is expensive considering the size.
Richard
DEF

Post by DEF »

Austin wrote:This one should fit fine.

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/x ... 137&page=1
This is an excellent soap at an excellent value.

Doug
levente

Post by levente »

DEF wrote:
Austin wrote:This one should fit fine.

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/x ... 137&page=1
This is an excellent soap at an excellent value.

Doug
I agree. I have the 100g soap of this one, and had mentioned a while back that I found it to be a very good shave soap, perhaps not equal to the T&H, Tabac, Floris or DR Harris soaps, but very good nonetheless. I used it for my shave this morning and was quite pleased.

Regards,
Basil