What is the difference between a scuttle and a mug?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Teuton

What is the difference between a scuttle and a mug?

Post by Teuton »

i'm confused, also is there a difference between these and the old victorian shaving scuttles? Thanks
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

A mug is just a mug, exactly as you would drink coffee from.

An old-style scuttle has a soap tray on the top, and a place on the bottom for the brush.
Teuton

Post by Teuton »

notthesharpest wrote:A mug is just a mug, exactly as you would drink coffee from.

An old-style scuttle has a soap tray on the top, and a place on the bottom for the brush.
Is there an advantage to the scuttle? Thanks
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Well, it depends what you want to do.

There are also newer scuttles of different designs, including one by Chris Moss who is a moderator/admin/whatever around here. His scuttle is more geared toward users of shaving cream than soap, and so it has no soap tray. Instead, it is a small inner container for the brush, and an outer container to fill with warm water, to keep your brush warm between passes.

Old-style shaving scuttles that are made for soap mean that you have to find the right size of little soap rounds to go in the tray, and use a brush that is small enough to fit in the brush chamber.

I personally use the container my soap came in, and a mug into which my lathered brush just fits. I soak my brush with hot water in the mug, work the brush in the soap container for a moment, lather on my face, dump the hot water out of the mug, and use the hot mug to store my brush between passes. It's more hardware than a single scuttle, but I can use large or odd-sized soap without any problem, and the mug was cheap.